Splitting preamp out for sub and power amp
May 12, 2017 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

AdamFrandsen

Head-Fier
Hi,

So I have taken some new gear home to try out - some dacs and an AMC Class A Integrated tube amp.

My speakers are on wall Dali Rubicon LCR, they play insanely well, but they lack a little bass. So, I invested in a small sub.

I have been running a NAD power amp from my Burson Soloist as pre amp and have been splitting the single pre-out to the sub as well.

Now I tried the AMC integrated and hooked the sub up to the pre out of the amp. This made for a much tighter sound and faster response. The build in pre amp is however not as well sunding as my Soloist as pre, and my HE500s sound like crap on the integrated amps headphone out compared to the Soloist.

So, I am not keeping the integrated amp even though it sounds a tiny bit smoother than my NAD on my 4 ohm speakers.

Now the question: Will I get a better result by feeding the sub high level out from the B speaker out on the power amp than splitting the signal from the preamp out?

Thanks in advance,
A

May 14, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 4
Now I tried the AMC integrated and hooked the sub up to the pre out of the amp. This made for a much tighter sound and faster response. The build in pre amp is however not as well sunding as my Soloist as pre

This might have more to do with amp distortion than the preamp.

The build in pre amp is however not as well sunding as my Soloist as pre, and my HE500s sound like crap on the integrated amps headphone out compared to the Soloist.

In case you like the AMC overall you can hook up the Soloist to its tape loop output. That's just a bypass output that sends the signal from whatever source back out.

Now the question: Will I get a better result by feeding the sub high level out from the B speaker out on the power amp than splitting the signal from the preamp out?

If your sub has high level inputs, that can work. That said, I don't see how it can sound any different from splitting the preamp line signal.

May 24, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #4 of 4
This might have more to do with amp distortion than the preamp.

In case you like the AMC overall you can hook up the Soloist to its tape loop output. That's just a bypass output that sends the signal from whatever source back out.

If your sub has high level inputs, that can work. That said, I don't see how it can sound any different from splitting the preamp line signal.

Thank you so much for the reply!! I bought the AMC CVT 2100 MK2 as power amp only, and it is a major upgrade over my NAD 275BEE, really! Now all I own is class A and I have that tube sound I like. I have ordered a better sub and will continue using the y-splitter from the pre-amp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back