Splitting one large Flac into seperated tracks
May 10, 2015 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ike1985

Headphoneus Supremus
I downloaded an album that is one large flac and I want to split it into separate tracks. I can do this using XLD, xACT or other programs but no matter what level of compression I use I always end up with a larger total file size for the album(approx ~5mb for a 350mb file). Why is this happening? I don't want the extra file size, I know compression doesn't affect quality with flac. Thank you

May 10, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 3

MindsMirror

1000+ Head-Fier
It should be expected that multiple files are slightly larger than the single combined file. Each of the files has it's own file header and metadata so splitting the tracks will take up a little more space with that extra information.

The compression may also be more effective on a single continuous file. For example, say that all your tracks begin and end with silence. In a single file it could encode only one segment of silence for each track, but if you split it in the middle it has to encode two segments of silence for each track.

May 18, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #3 of 3

JuanseAmador

1000+ Head-Fier
Use audacity, it's the fastest way. You can ID3 tag it, and export directly to iTunes for example.

Here's a tutorial: http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/splitting_a_recording_into_separate_tracks.html

Users who are viewing this thread