Splitting DAC output to 2 amps. The details and little things?
Aug 22, 2016 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

notfitforpublic

500+ Head-Fier
I've seen a few threads on this but they usually end very abruptly or get completely derailed so I wanted to ask since the situation has come up.

Currently have a Bifrost 4490 connected to a Valhalla 2 via ETI express 6 series 2 interconnects. Just picked up a Project Polaris and am wanting to split off the Bifrost output to both amps. Bought some ViaBlue splitters of decent quality and am currently looking for another set of interconnects (I have some BJC LC-1 hanging around I'll probably use first).

Other than the obvious drop of output to both amps from the signal being split, are there any other considerations that need to be taken into account? Will specs of each interconnect come into play at an audio level? i.e.. Cable length differences, impedance, ect ect. Should I be expecting any noise or distortion with the difference of one amp being tubes and one being solid state (Input impedance)? Any details or complications I should expect or address?

I'm probably over thinking this far too much but figured I couldn't go wrong asking and seeing what came up.

Cheers folks,

Aug 22, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 4
There won't actually be any appreciable drop in output by splitting the signal to 2 amps. The splitter wires the DAC output and amp's inputs in parallel, meaning they all receive the same voltage. If the parallel load draws more current from the DAC it will cause the voltage at the DAC to droop, but the amp input is high impedance so the drop is practically zero.

For the same reason, the specs or length of the interconnect cables don't really matter either. The amp input is high impedance, so any impedance in the cable is negligible in comparison.

Aug 23, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 4
There won't actually be any appreciable drop in output by splitting the signal to 2 amps. The splitter wires the DAC output and amp's inputs in parallel, meaning they all receive the same voltage. If the parallel load draws more current from the DAC it will cause the voltage at the DAC to droop, but the amp input is high impedance so the drop is practically zero.

For the same reason, the specs or length of the interconnect cables don't really matter either. The amp input is high impedance, so any impedance in the cable is negligible in comparison.

Are you planning to run both amps at the same time?  If not, something like the Schiit SYS would probably be better than splitters.

Excellent info, thanks MindsMirror! The running of both amps at the same time was my next question.

The idea behind the purchase of the Polaris was simply secondary to the my main setup. Used for powered monitors on my computer, short listening sessions (no time for tube warm up), listening while the Valhalla is warming up, occasional listening of my one and only low impedance headphone and perhaps opening up more options for future cans.

Im trying to keep costs down for this reason hence the purchase of splitters to avoid the purchase of a SYS and additional set of interconnects. I don't mind using some cheaper cables on the DAC to Polaris, but I like the Express 6 with my Bifrost to Valhalla. Getting a SYS means another pair of Express 6 from DAC to SYS would it not? (Lets leave the cable debate out of the equation please).

Using splitters, will I be able to have both amps on, allowing for warm up time for the Valhalla for example, without causing any issues? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back