SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Oct 21, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #691 of 1,049
Here is the set up: Roon>Auralic Aries Femto>Heed Obelisk DAC
Never had the chance to audition the Heed, but I see it carries a Wolfson DAC chip —that brings back memories! Am I right to assume it's on the warmer side of things? The Aries is a well-tried and tested unit which shouldn't create any problems as a transport.

Oct 21, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #692 of 1,049
Oh, btw my review of the Phonitor X is now updated with this information.

Oct 21, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #693 of 1,049
Never had the chance to audition the Heed, but I see it carries a Wolfson DAC chip —that brings back memories! Am I right to assume it's on the warmer side of things? The Aries is a well-tried and tested unit which shouldn't create any problems as a transport.
Yes, we could call it “analogue sounding”. It’s not a popular dac but it’s a very good one.
A couple of years agonI bought a Chord Qutest and replaced the Heed.
After a couple of months, I wanted to sell the Heed so I tested it to make sure it was in perfect working conditions…. After the test I decided to sell the Qutest 😎

Oct 23, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #694 of 1,049
Hey all. Best SPL to use balanced with a Clear Mg? How do the dac units stack up with dacs like the Gungnir?

Oct 24, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #695 of 1,049
Greetings I sent my phonitor x which is a 230 volt to someone in USA, and I flipped the voltage to 115 volt . When he tried to turn it on it did not turn on. What could be the problem as I flipped it to 115 Volts as it worked perfectly at my home with the 230 volt

Could it be a fuse issue, can someone link me to the exact fuse that needs to be bought so we try to see if it’s only a fuse thing

Oct 25, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #696 of 1,049
Just received my Phonitor 2... bought iy used with 2 years warranty from the seller.
First thing I noticed is that I can hear some sound from channel L even when the volume is at 0. It is very low, but clearly the volume is not working as it should

Anyone tested the same ? IS that normal ?
I had the same issues on a few amps in the past, but considering I got this one used I want to make sure it is in good working order

Oct 25, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #697 of 1,049
Just received my Phonitor 2... bought iy used with 2 years warranty from the seller.
First thing I noticed is that I can hear some sound from channel L even when the volume is at 0. It is very low, but clearly the volume is not working as it should

Anyone tested the same ? IS that normal ?
I had the same issues on a few amps in the past, but considering I got this one used I want to make sure it is in good working order
Is it the case on all gain settings ?

Oct 25, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #699 of 1,049
I am currently at 0 gain, all switches in 0 position
I could see that issue on some of the higher gain settings. But on low gain , it shouldn't be a issue. Since you experienced it with other amps, is it possible that the problem originated elsewhere? And lastly, most amps with relatively basic volume pots suffer some bleed/imbalance at lowest setting. Channel imbalance at low to moderate listening levels would be a little more concerning. Same with headphones. I'm sure there is channel imbalance on most of them. How much imbalance is there, is the question.

Oct 25, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #700 of 1,049
I could see that issue on some of the higher gain settings. But on low gain , it shouldn't be a issue. Since you experienced it with other amps, is it possible that the problem originated elsewhere? And lastly, most amps with relatively basic volume pots suffer some bleed/imbalance at lowest setting. Channel imbalance at low to moderate listening levels would be a little more concerning. Same with headphones. I'm sure there is channel imbalance on most of them. How much imbalance is there, is the question.
I don’t know but I doubt it could be coming from elsewhere. Anyhow, this is a used unit which I purchased on ebay with return option.
It came with a scratch on the chassis, one of the V-meter which is not starting at 0 and the volume thing I described above.
Enough to send it back I guess.
On top of that I listened to it for a few hours today and sound wise I prefer my Violectric.
Probably this amp is not for me ☹️

Oct 25, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #701 of 1,049
I don’t know but I doubt it could be coming from elsewhere. Anyhow, this is a used unit which I purchased on ebay with return option.
It came with a scratch on the chassis, one of the V-meter which is not starting at 0 and the volume thing I described above.
Enough to send it back I guess.
On top of that I listened to it for a few hours today and sound wise I prefer my Violectric.
Probably this amp is not for me ☹️
If it's not your cup of tea than clearly move on to what works for you. I certainly won't try to make the case for keeping it as I generally don't care to project my own experiences with it. It works for me in my setup.

Oct 25, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #702 of 1,049
If it's not your cup of tea than clearly move on to what works for you. I certainly won't try to make the case for keeping it as I generally don't care to project my own experiences with it. It works for me in my setup.
I apreciated your advices, thanks

Oct 25, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #703 of 1,049
I apreciated your advices, thanks
NP. In fact, there are other amps that fit my personal preferences better but I need at least one amp that doesn't add anything substantial as far as coloration/own signature to the presentation. So I totally understand that SPL might not be what you were hoping for. It's not an exciting amp. When I need color or some sort of euphoric qualities, I just turn to tubes. That's where my personal preferences are as far as music enjoyment is.

Oct 27, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #704 of 1,049
I was curious and checked if my Phonitor2 had any channel “bleeding” you described “aleniola”. I didn’t noticed any of that while in “normal” settings. Meaning mid gain with volume turned all the way down. So I bumped up the gain to max on both Phonitor2 and my phonostage. Zero noise (or music material “bleed” of any sort). So perhaps your unit is not a %100.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #705 of 1,049
Ordered the XE with dac. Not sure if I made the right choice but let’s see how it goes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back