SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Oct 19, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #676 of 1,049
I have used, few different ones, like remote from old TV and worked fine without issue.

Thanks.
That’s what I’m thinking. Again, I don’t have an issue with programming Phonitor to a remote, but iPhone’s IR sensor interference with Phonitor. Perhaps changing for a different remote with different IR code would remedy this issue? I have gazilions of old remotes to try so hopefully one of them uses code that would not respond to IR sensor build into an iPhone. BTW remote I’m using is either from Topping or SMSL.

Oct 20, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #677 of 1,049
That’s what I’m thinking. Again, I don’t have an issue with programming Phonitor to a remote, but iPhone’s IR sensor interference with Phonitor. Perhaps changing for a different remote with different IR code would remedy this issue? I have gazilions of old remotes to try so hopefully one of them uses code that would not respond to IR sensor build into an iPhone. BTW remote I’m using is either from Topping or SMSL.
I played around with my iPhone 12 Pro camera, which also uses LiDAR, yesterday evening. There was no interference with my Phonitor xe, but maybe this was because I am using it with an old Apple TV remote or simply because I have programmed it with a specific remote already. Perhaps once you have programmed your Phonitor, the interference will stop.

Oct 20, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #678 of 1,049
I played around with my iPhone 12 Pro camera, which also uses LiDAR, yesterday evening. There was no interference with my Phonitor xe, but maybe this was because I am using it with an old Apple TV remote or simply because I have programmed it with a specific remote already. Perhaps once you have programmed your Phonitor, the interference will stop.
I’ll try re-programming Phonitor with a different remote and see what happens.

Oct 20, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #679 of 1,049
I’ll try re-programming Phonitor with a different remote and see what happens.
could be the frequency might be similar to your iPhone... hopefully that will fix your issue :)

Oct 21, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #680 of 1,049
HI Everyone

I was checking the output power for the Phonitor X/Xe/2 and I am puzzled....maybe someone can help me

on the website, I find these power specs :
1634803041439.png

However, looking at the manual I get a different picture:
1634803089270.png

Which one is right?
I have ordered a Phonitor 2 based on the manual specs.
I will use it to drive Focal Clear, ZMF Eikon, Audeze LCD2 Classic and Aeon Flow closed (V1). I am bit concerned about the Aeon because if the website is right, then I will get very low power for them.

Oct 21, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #681 of 1,049
HI Everyone

I was checking the output power for the Phonitor X/Xe/2 and I am puzzled....maybe someone can help me

1634803041439.png

1634803089270.png

Which one is right?
I will use it to drive Focal Clear, ZMF Eikon, Audeze LCD2 Classic and Aeon Flow closed (V1). I am bit concerned about the Aeon because if the website is right, then I will get very low power for them.
not sure when they will update the website, obviously whatever on the website would wrong i guess... no AMP would output more on higher ohm value... guess the manual would have the correct info...

Oct 21, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #682 of 1,049
not sure when they will update the website, obviously whatever on the website would wrong i guess... no AMP would output more on higher ohm value... guess the manual would have the correct info...
I truly hope so

@FYFL , may I ask you how you find the Phonitor 2 with DCA Aeon? That is the "harder to drive" headphone I own. Any comment will be welcome :)

Oct 21, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #683 of 1,049
HI Everyone

Which one is right?
I had the same question and answered it here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sp...adphone-amp-preamp.22207/reviews#review-25282

In a nutshell, the conflicting measurements are due to a silent improvement SPL made to the circuit to add protection against short circuits. SPL told me that in view of the fact that very few people got in touch with them over the subject, they felt they should let both measurements roll without further clarification unless specifically asked by an interested party.

That being said, it looks like Phonitors that were put in circulation over the last 3-4 years and henceforth output in accordance to the measurements specified on SPL’s website.

With regards to the Phonitor powering your Aeons, I understand that other amps may be better suited to drive planars (current driven amps like Questyle or Bakoon come to mind) but the Phonitor is certainly no slouch and it's still an excellent fit to driving your dynamic headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #684 of 1,049
I had the same question and answered it here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sp...adphone-amp-preamp.22207/reviews#review-25282

In a nutshell, the conflicting measurements are due to a silent improvement SPL made to the circuit to add protection against short circuits. SPL told me that in view of the fact that very few people got in touch with them over the subject, they felt they should let both measurements roll without further clarification unless specifically asked by an interested party.

That being said, it looks like Phonitors that were put in circulation over the last 3-4 years and henceforth output in accordance to the measurements specified on SPL’s website.
thanks a lot
so basically :
  1. newer models (up to 207/2018) : website specs
  2. older models : manual specs

Did I get this right ?

Oct 21, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #685 of 1,049
thanks a lot
so basically :
  1. newer models (up to 207/2018) : website specs
  2. older models : manual specs

Did I get this right ?
More or less, yes. To make sure, just contact SPL Service and ask them about your specific unit. Serial No should give them all the information they need to give you a straight answer.

FYI, just a moment ago I edited my answer to also say that, regardless of the nominal power output, you should consider the Phonitor as a very good all-rounder, as it can drive both your dynamic headphones and your planars with ease (this certainly was the case for me with my HiFiMan x Massdrop Edition XX).

Oct 21, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #686 of 1,049
I truly hope so

@FYFL , may I ask you how you find the Phonitor 2 with DCA Aeon? That is the "harder to drive" headphone I own. Any comment will be welcome :)
No problems at all. Aeons, despite their spects that would indicate an easy load to drive, actually benefit from a bit of a “headroom”.
Phonitor 2 is setup in my bedroom vinyl setup and driving ADX5000 and HifiMan HE6 SE V2. Both headphones are much more difficult to drive than Aeons.
So, I don’t think you’ll have any issues.

Oct 21, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #687 of 1,049
..then I just look forward to receive my unit :)
It will be interesting comparison with my Violectric DHA380

Oct 21, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #688 of 1,049
Just got an answer from SPL which is different from what we discussed

"Hi, both are correct. The first one is the maximum output power when a +30dBu input 1k sine wave is send into the device. The second one is the output power when sending a 1k sine wave into the device causing a THD of 1%. The newer documents will show the later because it is better suited to get a feeling of how much power you will get out of the device until the sound get's less enjoyable. Keep in mind we are talking about a 1k sine signal. So even this value is not a real life value but that's the downside of all these specs – in the end they are just numbers to make devices comparable but do not say anything about the sound. I have never listened to headphones which could not be driven by a Phonitor before – so I assume it's enough power to drive them all."

:rolling_eyes:

Oct 21, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #689 of 1,049
Just got an answer from SPL which is different from what we discussed

"Hi, both are correct. The first one is the maximum output power when a +30dBu input 1k sine wave is send into the device. The second one is the output power when sending a 1k sine wave into the device causing a THD of 1%. The newer documents will show the later because it is better suited to get a feeling of how much power you will get out of the device until the sound get's less enjoyable. Keep in mind we are talking about a 1k sine signal. So even this value is not a real life value but that's the downside of all these specs – in the end they are just numbers to make devices comparable but do not say anything about the sound. I have never listened to headphones which could not be driven by a Phonitor before – so I assume it's enough power to drive them all."

:rolling_eyes:
:thinking: ...so, obviously they consider the latter specs as their best case scenario. That said, people here and in reviews who have tried the Phonitor tend to agree with SPL's last statement. Be prepared for a confident yet relaxing sound that's quietly neutral —the Phonitor doesn't pronounce its merits compared to other amps I've owned in the past, and I found that to be the case as well when I tested their Director II + Performer S800 on my stereo system (some might find this underwhelming). Also keep in mind that the source also plays a role in the overall result with such neutral systems. What will you be feeding your Phonitor with?

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #690 of 1,049
:thinking: ...so, obviously they consider the latter specs as their best case scenario. That said, people here and in reviews who have tried the Phonitor tend to agree with SPL's last statement. Be prepared for a confident yet relaxing sound that's quietly neutral —the Phonitor doesn't pronounce its merits compared to other amps I've owned in the past, and I found that to be the case as well when I tested their Director II + Performer S800 on my stereo system (some might find this underwhelming). Also keep in mind that the source also plays a role in the overall result with such neutral systems. What will you be feeding your Phonitor with?
Here is the set up: Roon>Auralic Aries Femto>Heed Obelisk DAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back