SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Nov 5, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #241 of 1,049
I use the standard connector on the back and can hear a difference using my HD800s and SPL XE when I turn the matrix on.

Both dip switches are set to off (default)

I had a quick look at the manual and can’t see anything about the rear headphone outs being different to the front?

Nov 5, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #242 of 1,049
The rear plug won`t be influenced by the crossfeed unless you set it so though the switch on the bottom side. Check the PDF manual for more information.

You don`t have to use this function(means no one force you to set it at "always on") although I think it`s a must own for me. Here is a massive discussion on this topic:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/to-crossfeed-or-not-to-crossfeed-that-is-the-question.518925/
I appreciate this information my friend. I finally was able to hear the crossfeed effect and see what it was doing, but it was so subtle that I found it to be of little value and that at least from what I could tell it restricted the soundstage a bit. Of course these were just my personal observations. In the end I felt that the sound quality of the amp, though very good overall, was just not dynamic enough for me as it sounded very similar to my tubed WA22. I've since returned the SPL and am waiting for the credit with the plan to invest in the Headamp GSX-MK2.

Nov 11, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #243 of 1,049
I got to try out the Phonitor X. It's very neutral sounding solid-state amp. It does sound quite precise with delta sigma DAC like Hugo 2 (such DACs seem fitting). It may sound too tight of a transient response for some people that are looking for more of a wet response. It would be a very good amp if it wasn't so bright sounding with headphones like HD800. Yeah, HD800 sounds bright out of it. Can I blame this amp for this? Not really. HD800's treble will come out if the amp is neutral, but also at the same time I think the amp is a bit on the bright side.

So, I can certainly understand why this amp is used for studio monitoring or from a company that build products for such use cases. It will not smooth over any ugliness in the sound that's for sure.

Technicalities of the amp is high, but it seems more of a monitoring amp than for musical enjoyment (unless one finds this type of sound to be enjoyable for leisure).

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #244 of 1,049
The amps are the same. The features are not. My E is the best sounding SS amp I have heard. Another forum tested the E and XE. and found no difference in amp sound. The matrix is not really noticeable on the E.Please note the E and XE have balanced output.

Someone from the alternate forum mentioned that SPL admitted to them that the internal components for the XE were different + upgraded than the E or X (have to go back and look). [part of why I bought the XE] My XE is in the mail, should be arriving tomorrow. :)

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #245 of 1,049
Now proud owner!

Phonitor XE 1.jpg Phonitor XE 2.jpg

Jan 5, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #246 of 1,049
Very nice, have fun with the Matrix, here's mine (ignore the horrific wallpaper, still haven't decorated this room since we moved in)

I found turning off the matrix can be fun sometimes if there's a lot going on in the music (lots of instruments/way its been produced) but the Matrix really shines on certain tracks like artist and piano for instance where the imaging is perfect and you're sitting in the front row with everything infront of you. I love it.

IMG-5943.jpg

Jan 5, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #247 of 1,049
Has anyone found there to be sibilance on the Senn 600 with this Phonitor? I am getting a lot of it. It's not harsh but it's all over and very noticeable. I haven't ever experienced that with any of my other amps and this headphone.

Jan 6, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #248 of 1,049
Not for my HD 660S and HD 650. Are you using the balanced headphone connection?

Jan 8, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #249 of 1,049
I bought my Phonitor XE from them (headphones.com) plus a pair of Elegia and Clears, they have been very responsive and helpful. Also to note I am very active on their forum, and a part of there preview program, and I’ve written reviews on the gear I’ve previewed.

I plus others have had no issue with them, and they are very responsive.
I assume that Focal and SPL are good match? I have Stellias and been thinking about SPL Phonitor XE to replace my Graham Slee Solo ULDE.

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #250 of 1,049
I assume that Focal and SPL are good match? I have Stellias and been thinking about SPL Phonitor XE to replace my Graham Slee Solo ULDE.
For me Stellia and Utopia are quite variable with amps. You'd have to try it out to know for sure. Like for example, I tried Hugo 2 with Stellia and for some odd reason, it cause some warmth in the lower mids to sound a bit to warm for my taste. It's quite unexpected given what I expect of Hugo 2 to be on the cooler side. Perhaps the beryllium drivers work well with quality tube amps is just a guess because out of a tube amp, Utopia is phenomenal. Utopia's stage can change quite drastically depending on amping, and I think it's perception of stage is caused by it's sound decay characteristics. Attack and decay causes holography and sound to be perceived as floating in space, which in turn causes spatial perception.

Has anyone found there to be sibilance on the Senn 600 with this Phonitor? I am getting a lot of it. It's not harsh but it's all over and very noticeable. I haven't ever experienced that with any of my other amps and this headphone.
I could see this with the Phonitor based on my experience with HD800S (gotten fatiguing quickly). 600 can be unforgiving on certain amps. I'm not surprised at Phonitor's characteristic. It's used for studio monitoring, in which you want certain things to be noticibley forward. Take the Yamaha monitors for instance.
Not for my HD 660S and HD 650. Are you using the balanced headphone connection?
660S and 650 are a bit laid back in treble compared to 600

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #252 of 1,049
Do you mean phonitor/hd800s combination sounds too bright? Which Dac do you use with this?
I wouldn't say too bright, but generally about what I expect out of a typical solid-state because HD800S is just plain trebly. I use Yggy and also tried Hugo 2.

Edit: for me of course it gets a bit bright enough to get fatiguing, and that would be considered too bright for me, but it is the HD800S... So, try to read this based on your experiences with the headphone and what I'm stating. Because on the HD800 or S thread people just tells you they are perfectly fine with the treble like they are ok with the brightest amp and it smooth to them. Lol

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #253 of 1,049
I wouldn't say too bright, but generally about what I expect out of a typical solid-state because HD800S is just plain trebly. I use Yggy and also tried Hugo 2.

Edit: for me of course it gets a bit bright enough to get fatiguing, and that would be considered too bright for me, but it is the HD800S... So, try to read this based on your experiences with the headphone and what I'm stating. Because on the HD800 or S thread people just tells you they are perfectly fine with the treble like they are ok with the brightest amp and it smooth to them. Lol

Thank you. That's interesting. I'm eyeing on phonitor xe or v281 for my HD800S/Hugo2. I'm fine with this combo in term of treble just looking for amp to improve it.

Jan 8, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #254 of 1,049
I own both V281 and Phonitor X. I also recently had Hugo TT2 that I used for my DAC.

I'm my opinion Phonitor X is more linear and reference like. Very precise. Note, I'm not saying sterile.

V281 is also linear but has a depth and warmth that's hard to describe. I wouldn't say its warm. But to me, it's got just a hint of warmth compared to Phonitor X. Again this is using Hugo TT2 as a DAC.

Jan 8, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #255 of 1,049
Yes, Focal works wonderfully on the Phonitor! I've even heard the Stellia with it and no problems there...the Phonitor really just gets out of the way and is my "reference" amp for hearing differences in headphones and what have you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back