SPL PHONITOR 2 NEW HEADPHONE AMP
Mar 20, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #91 of 311
  OK, I've considered the crossfeed controls only with regard to simulating near field monitors and therefore did not bring them in connection with headphone specific tuning possibilities... which might to some degree be possible, but they should only affect the room feeling, not the tonality. But I'll have to wait for my unit to test that.

Laphroaig is a good one indeed... long time favourite of mine. Pairs well with most headphones.

Pairs well with hot tubs also :)

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #92 of 311
This might show an embarrassing lack of technical knowledge but I'm the thinking if it would make sense to get the phonitor mini for the w3000anv and if it's too clinical using the little dot mk3 going from its preamp into the phonitor mini, or is this a really bad idea? Too much in the chain, impedance levels..?

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #93 of 311
Technically you can of course connect any line-level signal to the Phonitors (Mini or 2) input. Line-Out and Line-In generally pose no problem in that regard. As only the result counts you can just try that out -- if it pleases your ear everything's fine I'd say.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #94 of 311
I plan on getting a Phonitor 2 to pair with my just recently purchased Benchmark DAC2 HGC and K812s - but if the Mini is just as good sounding, I might go with that instead.

- I wonder how the Mini can be connected between my DAC/preamp and active speakers. . I know the Phonitor 2 has a preamp also, so that would be fine, but for the Mini -  Is there a way to mute the XLR outs when headphones are plugged in? If not, I assume the speakers have to be turned off when listening to headphones with my setup?

My chain:
Macbook pro USB --> DAC2 HGC XLR out --> (Phonitor Mini )--> AKG K812 and/or Mackie HR824

..and I wasnt going to spend a lot of money on DAC/HPA but.....:p

Mar 26, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #102 of 311
It sure is. Plus it really kicks... I did not expect that, but both my T1 and my TH900 show some seriously better deep bass, as if the drivers are now being fed what they need. Hard to describe, the bass is by now way bloated or elevated, just... better. Not limited. And very detailed. As is the rest of the spectrum, details all over the place, without sounding overly excited... There are reasons why I love professional audio equipment.

I used the HP-A8 DAC section, my TH900 is normally driven by the A8, the T1 runs on Meier Audio Daccord+Classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back