SPL Auditor: Volume decreases when something is plugged into its line out
May 29, 2012 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

lmf22

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Posts
1,080
Likes
262
I have an SPL Auditor and wanted to use its line out for a pair of powered desktop speakers (Audioengine A2).  I find that if I plug interconnects (or even an adapter) into the Auditor's line out, the volume of the headphones significantly decreases.  Normally, I listen at about 9 o'clock position on the volume knob, but if I plug in interconnects into the line out I have to turn the volume to about 12 o'clock.  Any idea why this is happening?  Anyone else noticed this? 
 
May 29, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 8

Zombie_X

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 3, 2008
Posts
4,637
Likes
356
Location
Beyerdynamicland
Hi,
 
I don't have this issue at all. It can be the speakers are drawing from the amp? I use the line out to send a signal to my V200 and the volume is the same when nothing is inserted. Really odd I must say. I'll look into it for you.
 
Quote:
I have an SPL Auditor and wanted to use its line out for a pair of powered desktop speakers (Audioengine A2).  I find that if I plug interconnects (or even an adapter) into the Auditor's line out, the volume of the headphones significantly decreases.  Normally, I listen at about 9 o'clock position on the volume knob, but if I plug in interconnects into the line out I have to turn the volume to about 12 o'clock.  Any idea why this is happening?  Anyone else noticed this? 

 
May 30, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 8

lmf22

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Posts
1,080
Likes
262
Quote:
Hi,
 
I don't have this issue at all. It can be the speakers are drawing from the amp? I use the line out to send a signal to my V200 and the volume is the same when nothing is inserted. Really odd I must say. I'll look into it for you.
 

 
It is not just the speakers.  This also happens when I plug in a XRL-to-RCA adapter, with nothing (not even a cable) connected on the other end.  
Thanks for looking into this. 
 
May 30, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 8

Zombie_X

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 3, 2008
Posts
4,637
Likes
356
Location
Beyerdynamicland
Hi,
 
I tried this last night and nothing changes with the sound at all. The volume never decreases when I unplug the XLR's. I would recommend contacted SPL to find out why.
 
May 30, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #5 of 8

lmf22

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Posts
1,080
Likes
262
Quote:
Hi,
 
I tried this last night and nothing changes with the sound at all. The volume never decreases when I unplug the XLR's. I would recommend contacted SPL to find out why.

 
Thanks.  I just emailed SPL USA.  Will keep this thread updated in case anyone else is having this problem. 
 
Jun 5, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #6 of 8

lmf22

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Posts
1,080
Likes
262
UPDATE: I found the cause of the problem.  It was the XLR-RCA adapters/cables.  I got a regular XLR-XLR cable (no converting to RCA) and this problem does not occur.  
 
Jun 5, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #7 of 8

Zombie_X

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 3, 2008
Posts
4,637
Likes
356
Location
Beyerdynamicland
Ah I see, that's what was causing it. This is good to know for suture references.
 
Quote:
UPDATE: I found the cause of the problem.  It was the XLR-RCA adapters/cables.  I got a regular XLR-XLR cable (no converting to RCA) and this problem does not occur.  

 
Jun 5, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #8 of 8

lmf22

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Posts
1,080
Likes
262
I wonder what it is about XLR-RCA adapters/cables that causes this.  Incompatible pin configurations?  
By the way, I never got a reply from SPL.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top