Spiral Ears SE6 introduced!
Oct 6, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #76 of 265
I can see that if your whole sound signature is based around the density of the shell material and that material is mechanically grounding to the skin and bone of the inner ear that UIEM might not work as well thereby negating the possibility of producing a demo that would faithfully represent the full gains that a system with these resonance canceling systems can provide. It is one hell of a conundrum though and there has got to be an impact on orders for the product but if you read the statement they released it seems that is exactly what they are hoping for . There are a few pro audio boutique builders that do the same thing. They will build it for you but they won’t lift a finger to make it remotely reasonable or affordable. My main question now is does the se6 sound twice as good as the se5 as the price and pitch would suggest. I bet not....

Oct 20, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #78 of 265
I am a happy SE5u owner and I have written to Grzegorz to communicate my disappointment.

Making great products never justified behaving like your customers will put up with your crap. Pricing and availability are one problem. Suddenly cancelling policies, such as ownership transfer, is an unacceptable one. What brand treats their customers that way? What other brand in the world make it not only impossible to try their products, but also to resell them?

Eight years on, and Spiral Ear looks like it's still managed like a quirky hobby, with products priced not for value but curiosity, with this constant complain of having too much work, and with arrogant communications that make Steve Jobs looks like Moses (who compares their product to a samurai sword anyways?)

I've been patient with Spiral Ears but I don't know for how long. Grzegorz is very talented at making earphones, not so at running a proper business. I wish he would seek help on that front.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #79 of 265
I am a happy SE5u owner and I have written to Grzegorz to communicate my disappointment.

Making great products never justified behaving like your customers will put up with your crap. Pricing and availability are one problem. Suddenly cancelling policies, such as ownership transfer, is an unacceptable one. What brand treats their customers that way? What other brand in the world make it not only impossible to try their products, but also to resell them?

Eight years on, and Spiral Ear looks like it's still managed like a quirky hobby, with products priced not for value but curiosity, with this constant complain of having too much work, and with arrogant communications that make Steve Jobs looks like Moses (who compares their product to a samurai sword anyways?)

I've been patient with Spiral Ears but I don't know for how long. Grzegorz is very talented at making earphones, not so at running a proper business. I wish he would seek help on that front.
SE is not the only one that stop reshell, seem like most of them stop doing it, the only one I know right now still offer reshell is 64 audio,

Oct 20, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #80 of 265
Empire ears stopped offering it as well. Glad I didn't get the phantom yet or it would be close to impossible to sell if I decide to upgrade. Hope this doesn't become the norm

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #81 of 265
SE is not the only one that stop reshell, seem like most of them stop doing it, the only one I know right now still offer reshell is 64 audio,

I did not know - but at least there are 3rd party options for reshell.
There are no 3rd party options for Spiral Ears products. So Grzegorz is basically saying that you do not own a product from him - you merely rent it.

Terminating ownership transfer is equivalent to charging customers. For SE5 users who want to move to SE6, it's an additional $1,000 dollar (loss of revenue from reselling SE5) plus $2,500 (loss of revenue from reselling the SE6 when time.)

So the real price of upgrading to SE6 is $4,000 + $1,000 + $2,500 = $7,500.

If there is a better way to tell your existing customers to go f*ck themselves, please let me know!

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #82 of 265
I did not know - but at least there are 3rd party options for reshell.
There are no 3rd party options for Spiral Ears products. So Grzegorz is basically saying that you do not own a product from him - you merely rent it.

Terminating ownership transfer is equivalent to charging customers. For SE5 users who want to move to SE6, it's an additional $1,000 dollar (loss of revenue from reselling SE5) plus $2,500 (loss of revenue from reselling the SE6 when time.)

So the real price of upgrading to SE6 is $4,000 + $1,000 + $2,500 = $7,500.

If there is a better way to tell your existing customers to go f*ck themselves, please let me know!

When a majority of CIEM companies have the same policy, why is it only that SE gets the most hate? I expect to lose money whenever I sell something off. Even selling a 64 Audio product will lose you money as the new buyer will need to purchase it at price that is worth paying the price for a reshell.

Oct 21, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #83 of 265
there is a HUGE difference here

no universal model + no demos = zero possibility of hearing it besides buying it yourself

no reshell / ownership transfer = zero chance of seling it to another person if you don't like its sound

in short , it is a 100% blind buy and you expect to take a 3K hit if you don't like the sound = only someone rich enough to not care about losing 3K can go and buy this without any concerns.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #84 of 265
Vegas F1 you’re right, when you sell something you will likely get less than what you paid for it. I think everyone agrees with this.

In Spiral Ear case, the resell value is zero. No one can remold it for you. You don’t like it or want to change? Trash. No one does that. Apple? Mercedes? Samurai sword masters? Picasso? Nope.

And why? Because Spiral Ear is “too busy”. In eight years of activity, they have not heard about those things called hiring and training?

The risk here is that real music lovers, who can appreciate good sound, cannot afford buying CIEMs anymore. Remains the financial elite - for which a $4k mistake can be forgotten overnight - and who probably do not care about great sound as much as buying whatever is the most expensive thing right now.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #85 of 265
Vegas F1 you’re right, when you sell something you will likely get less than what you paid for it. I think everyone agrees with this.

In Spiral Ear case, the resell value is zero. No one can remold it for you. You don’t like it or want to change? Trash. No one does that. Apple? Mercedes? Samurai sword masters? Picasso? Nope.

And why? Because Spiral Ear is “too busy”. In eight years of activity, they have not heard about those things called hiring and training?

The risk here is that real music lovers, who can appreciate good sound, cannot afford buying CIEMs anymore. Remains the financial elite - for which a $4k mistake can be forgotten overnight - and who probably do not care about great sound as much as buying whatever is the most expensive thing right now.

Like I said, Spiral Ears is not the only company that does this. People just seem more angry at Spiral Ears than other companies with the same position as them. I live in a city that does not have a single store that has any good headphones or IEMs to audition. Everything for me is a blind purchase. And there's CIEMs less than $1,000. But of course the totl ones go for $1,500 to over $3,000. Like it or not, having money allows one to buy better homes, better cars, better education for their children, and better headphone gear. I know people with money and they don't like wasting money and a lot of times they can be cheap with things like headphones or IEMs. I work in an office with people that make 300k to over a million a year and a majority of them listen to airpods. The rest own lower grade sennheiser or beats.

Oct 21, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #86 of 265
Like I said, Spiral Ears is not the only company that does this. People just seem more angry at Spiral Ears than other companies with the same position as them. I live in a city that does not have a single store that has any good headphones or IEMs to audition. Everything for me is a blind purchase. And there's CIEMs less than $1,000. But of course the totl ones go for $1,500 to over $3,000. Like it or not, having money allows one to buy better homes, better cars, better education for their children, and better headphone gear. I know people with money and they don't like wasting money and a lot of times they can be cheap with things like headphones or IEMs. I work in an office with people that make 300k to over a million a year and a majority of them listen to airpods. The rest own lower grade sennheiser or beats.
A lot of companies have canceled their owner transferring services, yes. But the biggest criticism regarding SE, as people have stated, is that there is literally zero demo unit in existence, so you would need "$3k is just a meal" kind of a pocket or you just need to have faith, a religious belief in them to buy it completely blind.

Oct 21, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #87 of 265

trying to see your train of thought here , but all i see is a trainwreck without any cohesive meaning or point

well at least you went +1 on post counts

Oct 21, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #88 of 265
trying to see your train of thought here , but all i see is a trainwreck without any cohesive meaning or point

well at least you went +1 on post counts

I replied to the guy who seems to be jealous of people with money who can afford things that he can and people with the money to buy items he can't afford can't appreciate them. If you guys hate Spiral Ears so much then just don't buy it. I wouldn't consider it unless I hear a lot of good reviews on it. Everything I buy is based on reviews. Companies can do whatever they want. If these companies make policies that consumers hate so much that makes them not buy them, then they suffer. I doubt Grzegorz reads every message here and says to himself that he better change his reshell policy and make demo units available to reviewers? Just don't any of his products if you guys hate Spiral Ears so much.

Oct 21, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #89 of 265
@vegasf1, the man who “seems jealous of people with money” will try to be clearer to the man who seems to think “everybody hates Spiral Ear and it's so unfair.”

1) I like Spiral Ear products. The SE5u is by far the best earphone I have. What I don’t like is how they treat their customers.

2) I could or could not afford the SE6 - it’s not the point. The point is: is it okay to terminate ownership transfer when you know it now makes it impossible for your current customers to resell their headphones?

3) To the best of my knowledge, the brands you mentioned can be reshelled by 3rd-parties because they’re in acrylic. Therefore, they can be resold. Spiral ears CIEMs apparently cannot be reshelled by anyone esle because they’re in silicone (if I am wrong, please let me know!). So no, Spiral Ear is not like other companies. Moreover, it's not because other companies do certain things that it makes them okay.

4) Thanks for sharing your life’s anecdotes and money lessons - all duly noted - and now I propose we go back to less self-centered topics, such as:

Do you think Spiral Ears did the right thing by terminating ownership transfer?
How would have managed things differently?
How do you feel about buying CIEMs you can’t demo nor resell?
Do you agree with Spiral Ear decision to not produce demos?

You know my position. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #90 of 265
@vegasf1, the man who “seems jealous of people with money” will try to be clearer to the man who seems to think “everybody hates Spiral Ear and it's so unfair.”

1) I like Spiral Ear products. The SE5u is by far the best earphone I have. What I don’t like is how they treat their customers.

2) I could or could not afford the SE6 - it’s not the point. The point is: is it okay to terminate ownership transfer when you know it now makes it impossible for your current customers to resell their headphones?

3) To the best of my knowledge, the brands you mentioned can be reshelled by 3rd-parties because they’re in acrylic. Therefore, they can be resold. Spiral ears CIEMs apparently cannot be reshelled by anyone esle because they’re in silicone (if I am wrong, please let me know!). So no, Spiral Ear is not like other companies. Moreover, it's not because other companies do certain things that it makes them okay.

4) Thanks for sharing your life’s anecdotes and money lessons - all duly noted - and now I propose we go back to less self-centered topics, such as:

Do you think Spiral Ears did the right thing by terminating ownership transfer?
How would have managed things differently?
How do you feel about buying CIEMs you can’t demo nor resell?
Do you agree with Spiral Ear decision to not produce demos?

You know my position. Would love to hear your thoughts.
@Mimouille would you like to charm in on this, as of today you the only that owned the SE6:ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back