Spider TinyEar IEM Reviews
Dec 18, 2011 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

jamesoh

New Head-Fier
Spider cable recently had a generous giveaway in which they gave out Spider TinyEars. If you have received those or purchased this product, write your reviews here.

I was asked to open this thread by Spider Cable.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 29
Mine showed up today.  No break-in yet, and they are by far the least expensive headphones I actually own.   That said, I'm pleasantly surprised so far.  I may actually prefer them to my Ety HF3s. 

Dec 20, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #4 of 29
SUBSCRIBED, after using the CC51's for such a long time i am determined that i love micro drivers!

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #5 of 29
My main purpose of these was to sleep with them, so I gave it a try last night.  I used some comply tips and no problems while I was laying in bed.  They work very well.  I am really liking the sound also.  Good amount of bass, vocals sound good and the treble is smooth and laid back.  I am really digging these little blue gems.  

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 29
I was hoping to get mine today but it didn't arrive. I guess most of those who have gotten those in the mail are not in the east coast.

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #9 of 29
 Tried them at the gym today.  And on the motorcycle.  Isolation is good, not quite up to my hf3s.  So far comfort seems pretty good and they sit under the motorcycle helmet no problems as long as I wear them down.

For the gym I was wearing them cable up, as the microphonics are pretty strong down.

As a quick question, has anyone figured out whether they are BA or dynamic?  They appear to be vented in the back, and the bore is actually reasonably large diameter compare to my HF3s, so I'm guessing they are dynamic?

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #11 of 29

Quote:
 Tried them at the gym today.  And on the motorcycle.  Isolation is good, not quite up to my hf3s.  So far comfort seems pretty good and they sit under the motorcycle helmet no problems as long as I wear them down.

For the gym I was wearing them cable up, as the microphonics are pretty strong down.

As a quick question, has anyone figured out whether they are BA or dynamic?  They appear to be vented in the back, and the bore is actually reasonably large diameter compare to my HF3s, so I'm guessing they are dynamic?

theyre dynamic with micro drivers

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #12 of 29
Got mine today and Im highly impressed. My initial impression is that they have a very open feel to them and they sound amazing. Everything is very crisp. I will admit I'm a basshead and this typically wouldnt do it for me but since these will be used on the go/ working out/ with sleeping I dont want all that bass. Love them so far

Dec 24, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #13 of 29
Got mine yesterday and I'm impressed overall. The clarity is well above the price range. These are easy for anyone to wear and I've been able to even use smaller tips than normal for a good seal simply because their size allows good angles for insertion. It doesn't get more comfy depending on tips. These are absolutely no issue for sleep helmets or small ears and don't ask you to compromise sound for size.

Now take the tonal stuff with a grain. Unfortunately, the easiest way to describe that is to embellish any nonlinearities and there is nothing here that wont fall into a preference category. They're pretty linear from about 30 Hz to the lower treble, I mean very good for this budget. The lower treble is generally shelved up slightly. It's not peaky or sibilant in the least but there is an overall emphasis that many love. It gives an airy and detailed presentation without messing with the general tunefulness.  Not hard or bright. Just slightly emphasized and not as refined as things at higher price points. While extended as anything in this range, they have a bit too much lower treble but it also seems to be evening out as I run them in more as they only have a dozen hours on them. It seems I'm going on about this but there's not much else to talk about them tonally as everything else falls nicely into place. The bass is solid to about 30 Hz with good character which is remarkable for something this size. I'm thinking these a great backup for someone with B2/DBAs. To give some perspective, tonally, these have less treble emphasis and more warmth/bass than that well liked pair. Obviously they wont have that level of res or refinement but it is a strong point for them vs their competition.
bigsmile_face.gif

All these comments are related to their own double flange tips which are the best for me overall and mitigate the tonality by adding a bit of warmth to overall perspective. Honestly, with these tips they're quite good overall and I'd have to think hard to beat at the price, depending on preference and need..

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #14 of 29
I think I've written this review a bit early as the top is getting better and evening out by the hour of louder breakin. They're also warming up and no longer sound tight. To the point that I'll revisit the single flanges. These have to be hard to beat for someone that isn't looking for a particular coloration.
bigsmile_face.gif
I won't have much chance to review until after Xmas but I reserve the right to tweek that review depending on breakin which is definitely going on. I'm thinking that my DAP may have stopped earlier than expected and I didn't really have as much time on these as I had stated which wasn't much to begin with. To add, isolation is average. Imaging is precise but the stage is average/small as you'd expect of something worn this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back