spend my money ! (mini-rca cable)
Oct 24, 2002 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

poorimpulsectrl

100+ Head-Fier
$40 USD available to spend on a mini-RCA cable. Need it to be atleast 1.5m (~5feet). For connecting Creek OBH-11 / Beyerdynamic DT770 to a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.

Have done a search here. Kimber is out because of Headroom's shipping costs to Canada. From what I can see, my options are :

Radioshack 6ft Gold Series #42-2551 : most accessible, reasonable sound quality

Acoustic Research AP042 : slightly better sound than Radioshack , short at 3FT (not sure if they have a longer offering)

I know the TPD Game Junkie is well regarded but out of my price range.

Tell me what I should spend my money on (read : best sound for the money spent) and in turn I will buy you an Orpheus*

*not really, but I will say thank you

Oct 24, 2002 at 4:00 AM Post #2 of 10
Oct 24, 2002 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 10
Is monstercable like a bad word around here? Im really new to this and I thought they made decent products. *ducks for cover*

Oct 24, 2002 at 4:18 AM Post #5 of 10
I don't think it's a bad word or that you need to duck for cover (hey, I'm asking newbie questions too). But it's pretty evenly divided on that particularly cable. Some people think it's perfectly fine, other people detest it.

Oct 24, 2002 at 4:22 AM Post #6 of 10
Ok.. ill take this question to a different thread so we dont ruin your thread with it. We can probably both learn from it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2002 at 7:45 PM Post #8 of 10
Let's see --

You can get one from Straightwire. I thought they had a standard version, but I didn't see it on their website. Regardless, they'll make you one and people say they're pretty good. (They have lots of different kinds of wire and connectors, so I'm not sure which those recos are refering to.)

You can get custom RCA-mini cables from Markertek, probably cheaper. They have a $25 minimum order, shipping's decent. The cable probably won't be as good quality as the Straightwire, but still much better than a RadioShack or generic.

There are lots of other places that'll make you one, too. If you know wire types as well as a lot of people around here, you can look around for what you want. I'm thinking of ordering a bunch of custom cables from either Markertek or Calrad. There are particular advantages to this, especially if your system is confined to a small cramped space as mine is. You can measure stuff out and get the exact length you want. (Just remember you might be screwed if you ever set it up elsewhere.)

kerely

Oct 24, 2002 at 8:00 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks Kerely. I'm seeing that people quite like Markertek's offerings, and from the sounds of it (price and performance combo) they'd be good for my applications. You think the Straightwire is better? Right now I'm also considering going with something like an Outlaw PCA and using an adapter, but I'm not sure if that would degrade the sound much.

Oct 24, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 10
I've never heard any of these options. I'm just going on what I take to be prevailing opinion from reading tons of posts here and elsewhere.

Probably any of these cables will beat using an adaptor, though.

kerely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back