Spend more $ - it's good for your hearing?
Oct 6, 2016 at 6:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Spork67

100+ Head-Fier
I've upgraded my headphones and amp several times recently, and I've noticed something I didn't expect.
With each significant upgrade, the volume at which I listen tends to be reduced.

I'm not talking about the position of the dial, I mean what I measure with a db-meter placed between the cups of a pair of HPs while music is playing. (not perfect I know - but the trend is still there and the method, although possibly flawed, is at least consistent)

My latest upgrade has  been a pair of T1's, and when I measured earlier the meter was only reading in the low 70db range!

I theorise that with better gear I'm getting more "slam" / impact, so no longer feel I need to crank up the volume to enjoy the music.
(Or perhaps as I get older I'm finally getting sensibler...
I know I abused heck out of my hearing in my 20's...)

If this is right - some of you guys with top end gear should be listening at sub-ambient levels!

Is this a "known phenomenon?"
Has anyone else noticed a similar thing happening with them?

Oct 6, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 3
This phenomenon doesn't depend on price, but how the headphones are designed. Some have better dynamics at high SPL levels while others don't need to be so loud. And of course, sometimes amping them will change things. I like to listen loud either way.

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 3
For me it´s the opposite. Low quality highly distorting devices I turn the volume down on. Good gear you don´t even realize it´s loud!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back