Speed Limits (rant/curiosity)
Sep 19, 2007 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 95

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay so maybe it's just me... but i've noticed I can drive 15-20mph over the posted speed limit and still drive safely. What's up with that? I think it's perfectly acceptable to drive ~85mph on the freeway when there isn't much traffic. On most county roads and arterials, ~55mph is just fine many times due to wide roads and lack of congestion.

I guess I just don't understand the whole Speed Limit thing.. driving fast isn't unsafe... driving UNSAFELY is unsafe
tongue.gif

/EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention... accelerration is another huge peeve of mine. I have a 1985 Nissan Sentra with 223,000 miles on it (4cylinder of course). Without putting undue strain upon my car, I accelerate from a dead stop faster than ~75% of the cars out there when (for example) pulling away from a stop sign. If I pulled out from a stop as fast as I think is fitting, i would be hitting the people in front of me - almost every time.

Are people afraid of accelerating or something? I just don't understand it. If you're going somewhere, might as well get there faster. Plus driving fast is fun
smily_headphones1.gif
If you don't like driving fast, get off the road and buy a bicycle. The worst is when I see a car with 4x the power of mine made by BMW or Jaguar and they are accelerating away from stop signs like a grandma and consistently driving 5-10mph under the speed limit. It happens more often that you think.
mad.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 95
Your risk of serious injury or death increases big time with more speed. And, while you feel like you are in solid control, you have to react a LOT earlier and accurately at speeds like that.

I get what you are saying for sure, just my thoughts.

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 95
In a way, i completely agree with you. On the other hand, I would be willing to bet that most people driving would not be able to recover from a blowout at 85mph and cause a HUGE mess. Not to mention that with many people, you give them an inch...

I can see both sides of the story. Personally, I go around 80mph in LA if it is a sparse freeway. In many cases, that is the usual flow of traffic. I rarely go faster, because it just kills my fuel economy. On the flipside, if I am fine with going faster, all others have the same rights. From my experience, I am not sure I want that
icon10.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 95
speed limits arent limits, they're suggestions... even if they were limits, they would be the lower ones...

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're going somewhere, might as well get there faster. I

First of all, would you trust new drivers or old drivers to zip past you at 85. Imagine how many more accidents there would be from drunk driving if the speed limit was increased - seriously they have a hard enough time as it is. What about unsafe cars? Making them go faster will only increase risk. Fuel consumption skyrockets for every 10mph faster. Some roads would have to be re-engineered. There are tons of reasons why the speed limit isn't faster.

Just relax a bit. Life does not have to be a rush.

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by srozzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
speed limits arent limits, they're suggestions... even if they were limits, they would be the lower ones...

I'll try that next time I get pulled over.
biggrin.gif

"Uh, is this a suggested court date?"

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #7 of 95
speed limit is the law. period. even 1mph over the limit is breaking the law.
So yes you are knowingly breaking the law; but whether the state/city/municipality decides to enforce that or not is another matter.

Just remember this, driving is a privilege and not a right.

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #8 of 95
Quote:

This cracks me up

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #9 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by lostspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imagine how many more accidents there would be from drunk driving if the speed limit was increased - seriously they have a hard enough time as it is.

What? Do you really think someone driving drunk really cares that much about the speed limit? I mean they are already driving drunk, so it is safe to assume they are ok breaking the law so a speed limit isn't going to stop them.

If they are going go a set speed the limit really doesn't matter...as they are drunk and probably not thinking to much about the speed limit.

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #10 of 95
Most states test for driver's license once. Once - and you're good for life!

The same guy that is flummoxed by "I bet you can't get your elbow in your own ear" is allowed to drive because he took a pretty useless test when he was a teenager.

GAD

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #11 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
speed limit is the law. period. even 1mph over the limit is breaking the law.
So yes you are knowingly breaking the law; but whether the state/city/municipality decides to enforce that or not is another matter.

Just remember this, driving is a privilege and not a right.

This Public Service Announcement was brought to you by the Head-Fi Highway Patrol. Let's keep it safe out there.
wink.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #12 of 95
This may just be my teenage-ness talking, but: What's with people getting on the freeway at 25, when they can clearly see traffic moving at 60-65? To me that's sort of usafe, the freeway onramp is not a residential zone. That's really the only thing that bugs me.

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #13 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This may just be my teenage-ness talking, but: What's with people getting on the freeway at 25, when they can clearly see traffic moving at 60-65? To me that's sort of usafe, the freeway onramp is not a residential zone. That's really the only thing that bugs me.

Absolutely! Driving way too slow can be just as dangerous as driving way too fast.

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #14 of 95
By driving faster than the speed limit, you are moving faster than adjacent traffic, and moving much faster than others expect. Driving defensively is a mind-set where you always plan ahead for danger, and always leave yourself a "way out". By driving faster than others expect you are presenting defensive drivers with one more random variable, which can not be predicted and planed for.

You are also increasing your stopping distance, and reducing your time to react to road obstructions. Driving fast also increases force upon impact. Force=Mass x Deceleration. The greater the deceleration the greater the impact force, increasing the likelihood of injury.

I just completed 8 hours of traffic school for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign last month. The driving instructor made it very clear that speeding increases the likelihood of accidents. Maybe I am a stupid moronic idiot, but I completely believe him. I would hope most of the people in class that day are as stupid and moronic as I am... unfortunately there are always those "geniuses" who feel they are god.

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #15 of 95
Quote:

23245958.jpg

o ' r l y ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back