Special program file editor for X5
May 21, 2005 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jakets

500+ Head-Fier
Okay so i hear the X5 will just be reading my file name and file tree like it is on my HD. Well the file tree is no problem, my files are all sorted by artist in alphabetical order ex:

ACDC
Bob Dylan

ect...

But the files within those are sometimes a mess.. while at least 60% of my 5000 songs are named properly: feeling this.mp3 or lip gloss and black.mp3

Alot of them are named like this
confused.gif
: (6)_6_07_Beneath the End.......mp3 or this_is_the_world.mp3

So is there a program that will let me drag all my music files into it, and see which ones are named stupidly and edit them? Or even better yet, a program that would read the ID3 tags title name and add it as the file name?

Thanks alot.
rs1smile.gif

May 21, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 9
There's a lot of good tag editors, but I'm not sure one that will do exactly what you want.

As for renaming files by ID3 tags (if Artist/Album order is what you want), iTunes is always a possibility (worth a shot you can always delete if you don't want to use it as an organizer later). Click keep library organized and have files names with track number. As long as everything is tagged (including track number) it should rename and organize everything fine.

May 21, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
There's a lot of good tag editors, but I'm not sure one that will do exactly what you want.

As for renaming files by ID3 tags (if Artist/Album order is what you want), iTunes is always a possibility (worth a shot you can always delete if you don't want to use it as an organizer later). Click keep library organized and have files names with track number. As long as everything is tagged (including track number) it should rename and organize everything fine.

My ID3 tags are already very organized, all my players have always used an ID3 library, so the file name has never mattered to me. But since the X5 will primarily rely onshowing me the filenames instead of the ID3 tag info, i need to do a lot of renaming of my files.

3_s.jpg

See how it shows the filename.mp3 My filenames are a mess, but my ID3 tag info is perfect.

May 21, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 9
Well give the free iTunes a shot. As long as you have 'keep organized' it will rename all filenames (based on tags). If you click "create file names with track number" it will put 01, 02, etc. before the track name. So you'll have a file structure with Artist/Album/Song. Sounds like what you're shooting for. If you worried about changing all your files until you verify, click "copy files to iTunes" so you'll have two copies (original location and in iTunes library) until you can check. Then you can delete your originals and keep or delete iTunes as you will.

May 21, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Well give the free iTunes a shot. As long as you have 'keep organized' it will rename all filenames (based on tags). If you click "create file names with track number" it will put 01, 02, etc. before the track name. So you'll have a file structure with Artist/Album/Song. Sounds like what you're shooting for. If you worried about changing all your files until you verify, click "copy files to iTunes" so you'll have two copies (original location and in iTunes library) until you can check. Then you can delete your originals and keep or delete iTunes as you will.

Okay, im downloading it now. Thanks man.

May 21, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 9
I cant seem to figure this out. I have imported all the files into the itunes library. It shows all my ID3 info and its all correct. But i dont see any of the options you said, how do i do the keep organized thing? and when i go to consolidating my library, it says it will copy all my songs into itunes library and that it is irreversable, why is it irreversable? sounds scary.. lol

May 21, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 9
Check the preferences.

Right now I'm on an OS X machine so there may be differences, but 'copy' and 'organized' is under the preferences/advanced screen (best to do this before copying over as it will keep your originals safe in case there's a mistake- it may be on by default), track numbers is under preferences/importing.

Not sure what is irreversable. Haven't seen that before. Again if you still have your origs there's no problems if you have to go back.

May 21, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Check the preferences.

Right now I'm on an OS X machine so there may be differences, but 'copy' and 'organized' is under the preferences/advanced screen (best to do this before copying over as it will keep your originals safe in case there's a mistake- it may be on by default), track numbers is under preferences/importing.

Not sure what is irreversable. Haven't seen that before. Again if you still have your origs there's no problems if you have to go back.

Ah ha! Works great, this is EXACTLY what i needed. Thanks a ton man.
rs1smile.gif

May 21, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #9 of 9
No problem. Glad it worked out.

You may want to give the prog as shot for a little while. You may like it as an organizer for your X5 (no one says it has to be used with the iPod
wink.gif
). Not the best MP3 encoder, but still a very good organizer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back