speakers that pair well with the compass?
Sep 3, 2009 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

n0ah

100+ Head-Fier
or should i say speakers that are least compatible with the compass?

here's the back:

Compass2.jpg

i'm not sure what information is needed to determine this as i know nothing about speakers and have always used cheapo logitech speakers when needed. would like to get some small-medium size speakers for the desk that actually gives enjoyable enough listening that i can split the headphone time with.

if the compass doesn't really benefit any speakers then just another budget friendly setup for exclusive laptop use, which is also what the compass is used for.

Sep 3, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #2 of 7
The only speakers you can use with the Compass without purchasing a separate amplifier would be powered monitors. Look into M-Audio, Swan, KRK, and Audio Engine. If you'd prefer not to go with a powered monitor, you will either need a power amplifier and feed the pre-amp signal from the Compass or an integrated amplifier to which you could send the DAC out signal.

Sep 3, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #4 of 7
I have two pairs of Swans and one pair of AE. I have heard M-Audio. A friend recommends KRK whose musical and production talent I trust. All these are good, relatively budget brands.

Sep 3, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only speakers you can use with the Compass without purchasing a separate amplifier would be powered monitors. Look into M-Audio, Swan, KRK, and Audio Engine. If you'd prefer not to go with a powered monitor, you will either need a power amplifier and feed the pre-amp signal from the Compass or an integrated amplifier to which you could send the DAC out signal.

would the compass benefit powered monitors at all or would there be virtually no difference as hooking them up directly to the laptop headphone out or USB or however it's generally setup?

if i can spend around $500-600 should i still go the powered monitors route or could i find a setup that's quite a bit more superior finding a separate amp/receiver/etc? again this would be exclusively for laptop hookup.

would need to be a compact setup though and not too much more space hogging than a size of powered monitors. this is for midsize bedroom use.

Sep 3, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 7
The DAC in your compass is probably a whole lot better than the DAC in your laptop so you're better off running the powered monitors off the DAC out on the Compass. If you're looking for a nice compact system, a powered monitor set-up would probably be best for you. I'm in the camp that thinks you can get more from your money by buying a used amp/bookshelf combo but obviously if space is an issue, this is not an option.

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #7 of 7
so what all is really suggested in my budget? seems like the powered monitor world should be a bit more cut and dry than headphone recommendation without a lot of things you don't need to consider. i know some of the top brands were listed a couple posts up, but any particular models that get more attention than others? unanimously positive? as i said i'd put about $600 into this but if something can be had for a couple less where you're not missing much i'd rather take the logical choice than max out my budget just for the sake of having money.

follow up question but would an ibasso d10 be just as compatible with these as a compass would? i could see myself packing the speakers up for short trips but wouldn't take the compass along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back