Speakers on a budget?
Nov 5, 2009 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Towert7

Headphoneus Supremus
Any recommendations for a nice sub 500$ pair of bookshelf's?
Ideally very neutral and musical.
In favor of a smoothly rolled off sound, with preference given to tighter more detailed bass vs. more bodied bass.

Any come to mind? These would be for my dad.

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 16
I love my Klipsch bookshelf speakers. I have RB-75s, which are out of production, but I'm sure there's stuff like them out there.

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ideally very neutral and musical.
In favor of a smoothly rolled off sound, with preference given to tighter more detailed bass vs. more bodied bass.

Any come to mind?

Not quite sure what you mean by "rolled off"...do you mean smooth?

If you do, then the Energy RC-10. Neutral and musical are words that describe them very well. They are balanced sounding, yet have a sweet, airy, and amazingly smooth high end, with tight, controlled, physical bass that digs remarkably deep for the size of the speakers (and woofer). I was also looking for an all-around, versatile, and extremely musical pair of bookshelves under $500, generally neutral sound being a factor (I compose/arrange orchestral scores), and looking around for a considerable time, the RC-10 was the ideal speaker. (I've found myself listening to more music rather than composing ever since I got them...maybe when I get some Dynaudios/Focals, I'll relegate them to the studio...)

Nov 5, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not quite sure what you mean by "rolled off"...do you mean smooth?

If you do, then the Energy RC-10. Neutral and musical are words that describe them very well. They are balanced sounding, yet have a sweet, airy, and amazingly smooth high end, with tight, controlled, physical bass that digs remarkably deep for the size of the speakers (and woofer). I was also looking for an all-around, versatile, and extremely musical pair of bookshelves under $500, generally neutral sound being a factor (I compose/arrange orchestral scores), and looking around for a considerable time, the RC-10 was the ideal speaker. (I've found myself listening to more music rather than composing ever since I got them...maybe when I get some Dynaudios/Focals, I'll relegate them to the studio...)

Thanks for the info. Funny you should mention focal, since a local shop sells their budget bookshelf speakers for around 500$ a pair.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #5 of 16
Consider the PSB Alpha B1. I got a pair for my parents and they sound excellent for the money. I think they're around $279, but I got them from a local shop for just under $200. Check out the Stereophile review on them, as well.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Consider the PSB Alpha B1. I got a pair for my parents and they sound excellent for the money. I think they're around $279, but I got them from a local shop for just under $200. Check out the Stereophile review on them, as well.

x2

The PSB B1s are one of the best values for the money in terms of a musical, budget speaker. If budget is $500, you also might want to consider moving up to the B25s, everything the B1 is but even better; they are a bit big comparatively though.

Nov 6, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

The PSB B1s are one of the best values for the money in terms of a musical, budget speaker. If budget is $500, you also might want to consider moving up to the B25s, everything the B1 is but even better; they are a bit big comparatively though.

Thanks for the info.
I checked PSB, and it looks like they revised their product line. No more B25. I think the B6 replaced the B25?

Nov 6, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #8 of 16
If you don't mind used, I would buy small Apogees on Agon, anything that starts with Centaurus or Cepheus.

The long ribbons on these are right up there with the very best tweeters ever made, and their bass is on the "tight" rather than warm/bloomy side.. Midrange is simply KILLAR.

Nov 6, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #9 of 16
I don't mind used, by sadly my dad does...... ~_~

Nov 18, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #10 of 16
Get something with a soft dome tweeter if he likes smooth and something that doesnt have "in your face" highs.
The Klipsches are horns and annoying for someone sensitive to highs.
The PSBs that were suggested are nice speakers for the money. EPOS is another good one.
Definitive's are warm. If ya have the room and a good amp..... Magnepan MMG's are great for that smooth floating sound.
Im not a Bose fan, but if you can find the 301's on sale, their highs arent in your face.
Infinity "Primus series" are a good buy.
I found Focal speakers annoying. The guy at the shop switched from Musical Fidelity, to some YBA's, and finally Bryston....and they were still annoying.
Also Focal is expensive like Dynaudios and Theils.
Dynaudio's would be the perfect sound for him prolly, but theyre expensive.
Check Audio Advisor for some good deals.

Nov 18, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #11 of 16
Thanks a lot guys. We decided to give him some PSB B25 speakers as a christmas gift. Sadly, I haven't heard them yet, but they come with a 30 day return policy if we are not happy. I think he'll be more than happy with them, and the price was right too.

I'm curious to see how they stack up to my B&W 601 S3's, which were roughly the same price.

Nov 18, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #12 of 16
check out TSC speakers on the internet. They are only sold on the internet but you have 30 days to try them out and if you don't like them they pay shipping back.They advertise that they sell quality speakers at half the price and all reveiws I read said the same (cnet, audiophile was 2 of the reveiws) they are owned by the company that own's marantz,denon,onkeo. I brought 5 speakers and a 250watt sub from them for a little over $600 and love them everyone that hears them can't beleive what I paid!

Nov 18, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #13 of 16
If the PSB B25 doesn't work out, or if he starts to get bitten by the bug, you should try talking him into building his own. With those gorgeous stands he's making, he should have no problem following one of the many recipes floating around for bookshelf speakers and coming out with an amazing result. Heck, it'd be another offering to add to his website!
wink.gif

Nov 18, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyrp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the PSB B25 doesn't work out, or if he starts to get bitten by the bug, you should try talking him into building his own. With those gorgeous stands he's making, he should have no problem following one of the many recipes floating around for bookshelf speakers and coming out with an amazing result. Heck, it'd be another offering to add to his website!
wink.gif

Where would you find high quality drivers?

Nov 19, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #15 of 16
With your dad's leet woodworking skills he should be looking into DIY, but the PSBs should be very nice also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back