speakers for $400 ish
Dec 24, 2004 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
looking for some advice on speakers in the $400 range. they'll be on top of an entertainment module and there isn't much space between the top and the ceiling, thus we're talking bookshelves. this is for my dad. as far as source components, he has some basic sony cdp and reciever. perhaps i should counsel him there as well. he's a music lover and mainly listens to classic rock. i have axiom m3ti's, and i've been thinking of couseling him in that direction, but i know he has more choices for $400 ish

thoughts?

i'm using a home depot outdoor extension cord as speaker wire. maybe i should counsel him to use that as well. what he has no is el cheapo radioshack wire. he's a music lover, but not an audiophile (in the "equipment-knowledge" sense). help me find some good stuff for him

Dec 25, 2004 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 12
Polk Audio RT6i

Simple, something he can show off to the nieghbors, and have then actully know the brand.

Dec 25, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 12
Paradigm
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #6 of 12
Dec 25, 2004 at 2:49 PM Post #7 of 12
Before buying bookshelf speakers,one should always check out the Athena line of speakers at BB.These may be more dynamic and detailed for some tastes but for the money they are excellent.

Dec 25, 2004 at 3:01 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
looking for some advice on speakers in the $400 range. they'll be on top of an entertainment module and there isn't much space between the top and the ceiling, thus we're talking bookshelves.

do you mean it will be placed way on top near the ceiling?

if this is the case for the fronts - no matter how good you speakers are - it wont sound good if they are not at or very near ear level-

Dec 25, 2004 at 4:34 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

if this is the case for the fronts - no matter how good you speakers are - it wont sound good if they are not at or very near ear level-

well you can "fool them' into thinking they are in a better place by either flipping them upside down so the tweeter is at the bottom and adding a slight tilt to them.This will also prevent that nasty early ceiling/tweeter reflection.The only cation would be attach them well somehow or they WILL eventually rattle themself right off the shelf and crash to the floor !
this is a method used with small floor speakers all the time but in reverse.
side mounting with tweeters "in" is another possible plus the added downward tilt and again the "shake" factor.

Have you considered speaker wall brackets ?

Dec 25, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #10 of 12
Bose ?
eggosmile.gif

Seriously, not that familiar with current offerings, but check out entry level from Dynaudio Audience 42. B&W usually has great bookshelf at low price area (dm 303 ?). If you can stretch your budget, Epos is the bookshelf I'd like to own.

Some moons ago the likes of paradigm (atom), tannoy mercury, kef cresta and q1/q15, psb alpha and acoustic energy were quite popular for $400ish bookshelves. I only heard cresta 2 and liked it.

Dec 25, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by screwdriver
do you mean it will be placed way on top near the ceiling?

afraid so. i know it's not an ideal position. perhaps i can get him to put them on stands on the sides of the entertainment unit. unfortunately then some of the cabinets might not be able to be opened. anyway, just some good bookshelves is what we need.

Dec 26, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #12 of 12
Have had Dynaudio Reference 52's driven by Classe C200 - they will take everything the amp puts out and more; some of the most forgiving and lovely speakers I ever worked with. But they hated doing desktop duty for my computer, and sounded very lousy in nearfield application, and only really liked $500 speaker stands filled with sand, and being out in the room where they could breathe. They look tiny, but must be treated with great respect.

For nearfield monitoring in computer environment, I've recently gotten some Swan M200's. I was worried (based on low price) that they would be too low-fi for me - but I'm sitting here listening to very good sound coming out of the Swans and an EMU 0404. This has got to be the best value for the dwindling American dollar I've ever gotten.

But, Swans fall apart if you are more than 4 feet away - these are really nearfielders!

And no, unfortunately, even at their best, the Swans aren't Dynaudios.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back