Speakers for 10' x 12' room
Jun 12, 2015 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

rahul342

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I have 10 feet x 12 feet bedroom and I am looking to set up a speaker system, may be mount them on a shelf on the wall. I would like to stream music to the speakers from my laptop/phone.
I was looking into Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers with some wireless-enabled receiver (don't know which one) or simply Creative T30 Wireless Bluetooth 3.0, 2.0 Computer Speaker System with NFC.
My budget is approx. $250 maximum.

Do you have any recommendations or suggestions? Much appreciated.

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #2 of 12
The Pioneers are a better speaker than the Creatives.

Rear ported speakers are not good for mounting on the wall.

What is your goal for "wireless-enabled?" Best sound quality may not be from pursuing wireless speakers. For example, the JBL LSR305s are an amazing powered speaker for the money: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR305. Can NOT be wall mounted because of the rear port.

Jun 12, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks cel4145 and KG Jag.

What is your goal for "wireless-enabled?" 

I just want to stream music to it through my wifi/bluetooth/NFC

For mounting on wall, I'll probably then just mount a shelf or something for them.

If I go with the Pioneers, I am guessing I would need some kind of receiver with an amplifier?

Jun 12, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 12
For mounting on wall, I'll probably then just mount a shelf or something for them.
If I go with the Pioneers, I am guessing I would need some kind of receiver with an amplifier?

If your willing to pass on wireless and go with a wired hook up, you can get a speaker amplifier for around $30.
Just run a cable from the amplifier to where ever you laptop/phone will be.

Jun 12, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #6 of 12

Yes.

Or you could consider an amp without bluetooth capability and using a device like this to provide the bluetooth streaming: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-000910-Bluetooth-Audio-Adapter/dp/B00IQBSW28/.

That could work well with powered monitors that don't need an amp.

Jun 12, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #7 of 12
Thanks for the inputs!

My last two questions -

1. Which one would you recommend just for the sound quality - Pioneer SPBS22-LRs or a single/pair of JBL LSR305s. I guess with amp, both the options would cost same. JBL's would be less clutter though.
2. If I do go with Pioneer SPBS22-LR, do you have a recommendation for amp, with or without bluetooth? I am guessing I'll need to match the specs of the speakers with the amp output.

Thanks a ton again, this has been super helpful so far.

Jun 12, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 12

There are amplifiers with built-in BT receivers, but not all of them are Apt-X compatible. The NAD D3020 has Apt-X, and there's another one on PartsExpress rated for 100wpc (but at higher THD than the NAD) for under $300 though. Alternately, PEx also has the Dayton T-amp+BT receiver combo (the latter comes in the same plastic chassis, but due to the shape they aren't stackable). 

A network A/V receiver might actually work better for you - instead of BT just have it access an NAS wth all your music stored in it through your home network. Cheaper receivers might only have wired LAN, but the thing is that once set up everything will be easier. Instead of using your phone with limited storage, you can just use it as a remote with the compatible app so you can browse through the contents of the NAS.

Jun 13, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #11 of 12
  Would services like spotify, soundcloud with work with such receivers?

It depends, some of them have internet radio capabilities but I haven't been checking recently. The main point of their Network capability really is to access lossless music and HD movies from a home server, which has several terabytes of storage potentially matching one's own streaming playlist, while allowing a tablet to interface with it as a remote. I think that for the most part internet radio support will mean physically connecting the tablet or smartphone via its USB port.

If you haven't been buying your own copies of music, then the only way to set up a "wireless" system in your room is to use an amplifier with Bluetooth. Some Network A/V receivers also have BT but the thing is that if you're not using the network capability to access locally stored music (much less movies) anyway, then it's harder to justify the size if space is a premium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back