Speaker Stands!
Apr 11, 2004 at 3:25 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Check the ones I linked before at PartsExpress, those from Axioms IIRC are made of wood, the ones in PartsExpress are made of steel and weight much more....

I thought wooden speaker stands were better because they are non-resonant. Metal anything is very resonant and you do not want something that resonates vibrations under a vibrating speaker. This can result in a "tinny" sound from the stand.

Apr 11, 2004 at 5:07 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by br--
I thought wooden speaker stands were better because they are non-resonant. Metal anything is very resonant and you do not want something that resonates vibrations under a vibrating speaker. This can result in a "tinny" sound from the stand.

Maybe Atacama will begin to made them out of wood after reading yuor post...
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Apr 11, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #20 of 23
There are tradeoffs between resonance due to the metal and sheer mass loading to move the resonant frequency down to below where it really matters. In a light metal stand, it would probably be a bigger issue. You take a substantial metal stand and fill it, and the problem is pretty much relieved.

Apr 11, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #21 of 23
That is why you put led shots and sand inside the stands, BTW I have a pair of metal stands, and if there is resonance, I like it.....nahh...honestly how big it should be, I think that maybe at extremely high volume, but at the normal listening levels, I can hear any in mine....
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Apr 11, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #22 of 23
I have studio tech high mass stands and I think they work very well. They are a little more expensive (new anyway), but they have a stand in your price range that should be good. They are sturdy, they look good (just plain black, so they are not distracting or tacky), and they are fill-able. I filled mine with a combination of lead shot and silica sand, and they are pretty dead. Any metal resonances are gone. If you get them (or any hollow metal stand), I recommend strongly that you fill them with sand or shot. Otherwise your music does get a harsh edge or added brightness from the resonances...it is easier to notice its absence than its presence...
http://www.studiotech.com/jsp/produc....jsp?prodID=13

Apr 12, 2004 at 8:04 AM Post #23 of 23
The best stand would probably be a home made one. Just a solid lump of Oak like 10"x10"x30" (BxWxH). And some really good damping feet under that and voila, you got the stiffest speakerstand you can find. You could of course give it some kind of shape, not just a square shape.

(Side note : I think Oak is quite expensive however (at least for a thing of that size) but it probably would sound and look great.)

Or something like the stand stuardr mentioned, one that you can fill up with something heavy so they are resonance-dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back