Speaker Recommendations.
Mar 8, 2006 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

GoRedwings19

Headphoneus Supremus
I am currently considering some speakers. I was wondering if any headphone users had any experience with the following to help with decisions.

Wilson Benesch Discoveries, B&W 805 Signatures, Sonis Faber Cremona Auditor.

uf they could describe it in regards to Tonality, detail, soundstage, Pace and low end performance and how they generally system match.

I have started to sift thru audiogon and a few more opinions wouldn't help either.

These are all of course are standmount speakers as space requirements are the limiting factor.

I listen to all sorts but mainly heavy rock, live accoustic, opera, classical. So an all rounder would be nice.

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 19
One to check out... Merlin TSM-MXs. They use the phenomenal Esotar Dynaudio tweeter. Don't have great extension b/c they are not ported, but as far as monitors go, I haven't heard better. I wouldn't characterize them as cold or warm... just dead on accurate and detailed.

The only reason I got rid of them was because I ordered Eggleston Andra IIs (which uses the same tweeeter) and really had no need for monitors anymore.

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
One to check out... Merlin TSM-MXs. They use the phenomenal Esotar Dynaudio tweeter. Don't have great extension b/c they are not ported, but as far as monitors go, I haven't heard better. I wouldn't characterize them as cold or warm... just dead on accurate and detailed.

The only reason I got rid of them was because I ordered Eggleston Andra IIs (which uses the same tweeeter) and really had no need for monitors anymore.

Thanks for the recommendation but I am not really into dead on accuracy and the hyper detailed sound.

I would like something which is Organic sounding and on warmer side of things.

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 19
Heard the Cremona Auditors last week & the B&W 805 a few months ago and then again a few weeks ago. Not overly impressed with either one.

The Cremona Auditors do not rock, I found that they hated fast paced music. Play Norah Jones and they're happy, nice warm smooth sound, but up the pace to say, Led Zeppelin and they just can't keep up with the beat. I think that's just the Sonus Faber sound, I've heard a bunch of their speakers and none of them like to rock out. They all have that warm fuzzy sound that's great for slower paced music.

The B&W 805 doesn't mind rock & metal, but I found a weakness on my latest audition which annoyed me. The bass is too slow, gets a bit boomy and looses detail. I noticed that low piano notes sounded too alike to each other and blended together at the low end. It doesn't keep up with the rest of the speaker's frequency range.

Soundstaging, both were pretty even in the setup the dealer had, with an edge going to the 805 from the upper midrange on up. They can both put sounds in front of, behind, and outside the speakers, but the 805 "disappears" a bit better. Detailwise, same thing more or less, Cremona Auditor has a bit of an edge in the midrange & 805 takes the treble.

Why am I not impressed? I heard the Living Voice Avatar, a small floorstander that kills both of them in every way. Balanced a bit on the warm side, very detailed, and yet it's musical and doesn't shove the detail in your face, it's just there and flows with the music. Also works with any kind of music, it'll rock, it'll do jazz, classical, acoustic, anything. It's on the short-list of speakers I'd buy if I had the room & money.

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 19
Aerius>I forgot about the living voice stuff. Might be worth checking out. Although they usually only make floorstanders don;t they?

The Sonus Fabers sound like my cup of tea apart from the pace thing. Unfortunately I also like Rock and heavy rock but nothing serious like industrial or death metal.

Keep the suggestions coming dudes.

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Aerius>I forgot about the living voice stuff. Might be worth checking out. Although they usually only make floorstanders don;t they?

Yeah, they're floorstanders, but they're small and it doesn't take up any more space than a bookshelf speaker with its stand.

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Thanks for the recommendation but I am not really into dead on accuracy and the hyper detailed sound.

I would like something which is Organic sounding and on warmer side of things.

In that case, I would recommend the Sonus Faber as that is how I would describe them. I have heard them on several occasions and have always walked away thinking they sounded very warm.

That being said, I do feel that the Merlins are a signifcantly better speaker that will not dissapoint. They are not bright in any way but do reveal any flaws in your system or the source material. They will keep up with anything you throw at them.

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #8 of 19
I haven't heard them myself but I've read on Audio Asylum that the Auditors are faster and less warm than the full size Cremona. Might be worth exploring further.

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #9 of 19
edit: Oops, wrong Wilson, sorry about that.

If you don't mind internet-direct w/ a return option, you might try the ACI Sapphire XL. All the reviews I've read on it have it voiced as slightly on the warm side, and it's supposed to be monitor-like but somehow more forgiving in the treble.

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #10 of 19
dhwilkin>Hi dude, I think you are getting mixed up with the two or I am.

You are thinking of Wilson USA. I don;t think they are affiliated with Wilson Benesch (UK)

Anyone could shed some light?

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #11 of 19
I agree Sleestack, Sonus Faber are...uh...disgustingly warm. Could be right up your alley.

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

dhwilkin>Hi dude, I think you are getting mixed up with the two or I am.

You are thinking of Wilson USA. I don;t think they are affiliated with Wilson Benesch (UK)

Anyone could shed some light?

Oops, sorry about that! Yeah, soon as I saw Wilson, I just assumed the rest was the speaker name. Shame on me for not checking, I'll edit accordingly.

Mar 8, 2006 at 12:48 PM Post #14 of 19
I would second Sleestack. I have just ordered a pair of Merlin TSM-MXs and will be picking them up on Friday. Fantastic speaker.

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicks7
I would second Sleestack. I have just ordered a pair of Merlin TSM-MXs and will be picking them up on Friday. Fantastic speaker.

Great choice. I don't have mine anymore, but they are the best monitors I've ever heard. Top notch components and build and you never feel they are coloring the music in any way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back