Speaker like presentation wanted. What to do?
Sep 15, 2009 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

spacemanspliff

Headphoneus Supremus
Any opinions on this will be appreciated. I enjoy my 2.1 but find myself missing the intimacy of a good pair of cans wrapped around my skull. I find myself leaning towards Stax but would prefer dynamics so I can keep my receiver as a source. I have been quite happy with its dac and flexibility so far. I might need to get a better headphone amp too.

I play plenty of games, watch movies and concerts. Thus the want for a large head stage with plenty of dynamic range.

So far, my leanings are towards V4 Darths, JVC DX1000, Denons?, Ultrasone 900s. These are all headphones I have not heard. I have listened to just about every other headphone ever made though. I wish the K1000s had some more slam and Stax extended lower.

What is this AKG 010? Saw a blurb about it in a post but can't find anything about it?

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #2 of 51
010 doesn´t exist. Someone is laughing now I suppose.

If you have the money maybe the SVS realizer is what you want? Otherwise from the list Pro 900. I have heard markl D5000 and DX 1000 is not that good if you want natural soundstaging.

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 51
Pro 900 does not surprise me. I had a well modded 780 and would have kept it save the head stage was too small for my usage.

koolbubbaice mentioned the akg 010 btw. shame shame! lol must have meant the sony?

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 51
For speaker-like presentation with plenty of bass slam, I'm sorry to say that you're going to have to get some speakers.

Or possibly floats and a subwoofer.

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 51
Got the 2.1. Issue is mostly that my room is horrid for speakers. Too much noise and a wall of windows too close to the action. So yeah. I have a decent sub, speakers and receiver. I am thinking a pair of deep cup V4 Darths would be the closest thing to what I want. I had a pair of deep open V3s and they were interesting but a bit of a stretched out head stage. The Pro 900s would be great for around $300 or less. I really do not want to go much higher than that unless I sell my HSU MKII speakers which I do not want to do yet. I have not given up on them as their near field performance is excellent.

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 51
Well, I guess you answered your own question...try the only ones you haven't heard but I believe you seek what isn't made....after all, you've tried everything, correct?

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why wouldnt you be able to use your receiver as a source with electrostatic hps?

I might be able to. I would still need an energizer like the SRD-7. However, Stax simply do not go low enough for me. At least the ones I can afford lol. I love everything else about them but matching the sub up to them does not work well enough. Simply not fast enough to keep up. I am afraid that I am too sensitive to any discrepancies.

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #10 of 51
I'd look at something like an AD2000. Get the Darths if you want a subwoofer on your head. Havnt heard Denon's besides the D2000..didn't care for it. Just sounded wrong. Havn't heard the others.

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #12 of 51
I wonder which stax you've heard that didn't go low enough.

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #14 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Floats actually might not be a bad suggestion, if youre comfortable looking like an ass

Just for that, I may have to bring my QP85 to work again.

Sep 15, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #15 of 51
Stax SR-007 (BL, A, MK2) maybe?
They do not quite present them selves as full size speakers does, but you probably do not come all that much closer. Unless you go AKG K1000 that is, although so you they lack slam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back