Speaker damage/degradation from sudden & short relatively high volume?
Apr 14, 2016 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Matt714

New Head-Fier
Greetings.

So basically I recently turned on my audio system (Edifier S730) without remembering that Windows' sound was at around 85-90 percent or so (due to a previous video with really poor audio). It was really loud (especially the bass from the woofer), at least compared to what I'm customarily used to. (not really into loud stuff) I quickly turned it down.

System volume knob was at 30 on 50; don't know how far these puppies can theoretically go. Any chance of damage/decreased quality... or I'm being overly paranoid and/or seriously underestimate the manufacturer's stress testing? I haven't noticed any change so far personally.

Thanks for the input. :)

Apr 14, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 7
If you haven't noticed any difference, there probably isn't any damage. Loud volumes and pops can cause damage, but as long as the coil stays in place and the loudness doesn't last for a long time, most dynamic speakers will be all right.

Apr 14, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #3 of 7
To my knowledge there are two possible types of damage that could happen in a scenario like that:

Mechanical damage - caused by membranes deforming beyond their normal working range. Rarely seen these days and fairly obvious once it happens: you can see and/or hear it right away.

Thermal damage - the impulse may cause enough heat generation to burn the insulation on speaker coils causing shorts, or even burn the coil wire through. While the latter would be immediately obvious, the insulation damage may be gradual and add up over time and repeated occurrences. This type of damage usually requires a bit more than a few seconds to happen, though.

In principle if the speakers are performing as before then you have nothing to worry about, and there's not much you could do to rectify the damage, if there was any. A safer approach for the future would be to keep the Windows volume close to the max permanently and use amp to control the actual volume level. This may also reward you with a slightly improved sound quality.

Apr 16, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks all for your constructive replies!

Just received an e-mail from the manufacturer saying that at such high power for a short time, the speakers should be fine. 

I'm surprised manufacturers don't limit their systems to a safe max threshold, such as Apple (amongst others) does to the iPad. No way of damaging the tablet's speakers since there's a built-in safeguard. I was at 32-ish on 50 and it was definitely loud. 

Apr 17, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 7
  Thanks all for your constructive replies!

Just received an e-mail from the manufacturer saying that at such high power for a short time, the speakers should be fine. 

I'm surprised manufacturers don't limit their systems to a safe max threshold, such as Apple (amongst others) does to the iPad. No way of damaging the tablet's speakers since there's a built-in safeguard. I was at 32-ish on 50 and it was definitely loud. 

Many better speakers have something called a fuse in the back.
wink.gif

Apr 18, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 7

Many better speakers have something called a fuse in the back. 
wink.gif

Fuses prevent degradation? Not sure I'm following you.

I thought my speakers were top-tier due to the price. At least I believe they're amongst the most expensive 2.1s.

Thanks.

Maybe you don't remember this comment of yours up there:

Quote by Matt714:
I'm surprised manufacturers don't limit their systems to a safe max threshold.

?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but that's exactly the purpose a fuse on a speaker serves.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back