Speaker cables for vintage amp
Apr 4, 2011 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

agentsim

Member of the Trade. Author of BitPerfect.
Hi,

I have a mid 70s Technics SA-5400XC amp driving a pair of 6ohm Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers. The sound quality was pretty bad and recently I found that a good part of the issue was due to my speaker cables. I've just had the chance to try some Cardas Twinlink cables, they sound much better, but the volume is much reduced.

Can head-fi suggest a lower cost alternative to the Cardas Twinlink (they are $200/cable) that won't sap as much volume?

Thanks!

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 11
How long are the speaker cables? What gauge were the cables you were using before?  Are you sure you've terminated them well? 

Apr 4, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 11
Try Blue Jeans Cables' speaker cables. I've had a pair for a few years and they're terrific.

Also, look up the Home Depot cables. Seriously. Quite a few have bought Home Depot's contractor power extension cords and reterminated them into speaker cables. (It's easy.) I haven't tried them yet, but do use them to run power tools and can vouch for durability. You'll never wear them out and some people think they sound wonderful.

Apr 4, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
How long are the speaker cables? What gauge were the cables you were using before?  Are you sure you've terminated them well? 

They are about 3ft long, probably 18 gauge (they look like this: http://www.asia.ru/images/target/photo/50546948/Speaker_Wire.jpg). They are unterminated, just stripped.

Apr 4, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #7 of 11
I can only imagine that changing the guage of the wire had a significant effect. I was always of the impression that 12 gauge wire was about the standard thickness for regular speakers.  You could experiment by using some 18 gauge instead to see if it changes anything, or go in the opposite direction as well, though for that short distance I think you've already discovered any changes that are likely.

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #10 of 11
the cable does not need to be repeatedly bent - only bent into shape, which does not involve repeated bending. I've never read anybody breaking the cable due to repeated bending - but I guess you know better.

the OP is asking for an alternative to the Carda's, since what's he's already using doesn't deliver properly (according to him). so I rather suggest him a proper shielded/terminated speaker cables for $40, than another cheap Home Depot cable, which it's probably like the one he's already using.

that's my alternative suggestion. your is... lamp cord. 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Solid copper wire?   Neglecting the cost (a few cents per foot at Home Depot) its not flexible and will break if repeatedly bent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back