Speaker amps for headphones
Sep 23, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #3,706 of 3,871
So, I realized the speaker tap I ordered is 20awg, and my speaker amp's manual says to only connect loudspeaker cable between 16 & 12awg. How much of a problem is it?
Headphones draw far less current than speakers in general, so you should be OK, although I'd change the spec to 16 awg if it's still possible.

Sep 24, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #3,707 of 3,871
So, I realized the speaker tap I ordered is 20awg, and my speaker amp's manual says to only connect loudspeaker cable between 16 & 12awg. How much of a problem is it?

No safety problem with Susvara, but thin wires have a higher resistance than thick wires. If you are running thin wires (especially over a long distance) it can affecting the quality of sound. Everything else equal lower AWG will sound better. Only if you run a massive amount of current (for big insensitive speakers) it may damage to your amplifier

Sep 26, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #3,708 of 3,871
The Zynsonix does as well though? or am I mistaken?
As an FYI if you have attenuation in the converter box there are inline resistors, however they are extremely high quality non-inductive wirewound resistors. The resistors are directly in the signal path so you will most certainly hear a difference between low and high quality parts. No detrimental inductive sandcast/metal oxide here. Please feel free to shoot me any questions you have. It may be a "black box" but I will tell you everything that is happening inside. I'm happy Thanatos is enjoying his unit as many others are. :beerchug:

No safety problem with Susvara, but thin wires have a higher resistance than thick wires. If you are running thin wires (especially over a long distance) it can affecting the quality of sound. Everything else equal lower AWG will sound better. Only if you run a massive amount of current (for big insensitive speakers) it may damage to your amplifier
Agreed, you want a thicker gauge for the Susvara. Just like people would think you are crazy for running 26AWG to speakers, it doesn't make sense here either. Double runs at least. HE-6SE as well. Your amp literally sees them as speakers, so treat them as such.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #3,709 of 3,871
Just received this today!

Bryan was great to work with! Box is built well and I'm very happy with the purchase. The ordering process was fantastic too. All questions were answered to the point and information was very forthcoming.

12dB attenuation switch, which I configured for use with the Abyss (as recommended) but I hope will also allow the Utopia to be used with the speaker amp (won't be permanent, but just wanna try out of curiosity).

Also, Bryan allowed for the logo/eblem to be left off as I preferred a clean look as the box will be on my top rack.

20210927_133435.jpg
20210927_133503.jpg
20210927_133603.jpg
20210927_133942.jpg
20210927_134005.jpg

Thanks, @HiGHFLYiN9 !!

Sep 27, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #3,710 of 3,871
Agreed, you want a thicker gauge for the Susvara. Just like people would think you are crazy for running 26AWG to speakers, it doesn't make sense here either. Double runs at least. HE-6SE as well. Your amp literally sees them as speakers, so treat them as such.
The speaker tap is already in the mail... It's a silver cable, if that makes a difference. There will be a 2m cable after the tap to the Susvaras.
Is there a risk to the Susvaras or do I just need to make sure not to push the volume knob too far like I would have done anyway?

Sep 27, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #3,711 of 3,871
Just received this today!

Bryan was great to work with! Box is built well and I'm very happy with the purchase. The ordering process was fantastic too. All questions were answered to the point and information was very forthcoming.

12dB attenuation switch, which I configured for use with the Abyss (as recommended) but I hope will also allow the Utopia to be used with the speaker amp (won't be permanent, but just wanna try out of curiosity).

Also, Bryan allowed for the logo/eblem to be left off as I preferred a clean look as the box will be on my top rack.

20210927_133435.jpg20210927_133503.jpg20210927_133603.jpg20210927_133942.jpg20210927_134005.jpg

Thanks, @HiGHFLYiN9 !!
Interesting that your 12db and 0db are at reverse Positions compared to mine.
However the switch has quite some resistance, so it's unlikely to flip it by accident.

Also 12db attenuation is enough that I can use even my Meze Empyrean(107db sensitivity) on my 100W T+A amp without any background noise whatsoever.
Your Utopia should be fine.
Unless your amp is a lot noisier than mine.

As an FYI if you have attenuation in the converter box there are inline resistors, however they are extremely high quality non-inductive wirewound resistors. The resistors are directly in the signal path so you will most certainly hear a difference between low and high quality parts. No detrimental inductive sandcast/metal oxide here. Please feel free to shoot me any questions you have. It may be a "black box" but I will tell you everything that is happening inside. I'm happy Thanatos is enjoying his unit as many others are. :beerchug:

Absolutely loving it, glad that I found you.

On my journey I even inquired other manufacturers to build something like it with an attenuation switch, but all declined.

When I found your box I knew that's the perfect piece for me.
Pre sales Service via email was outstanding as well. Totally recommend this box from now on

Oct 9, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #3,712 of 3,871
Has anyone tried the speakers taps from something like an Accuphase E650 or Luxman L590AX into Susvara, Phi TC, or HE6?

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #3,713 of 3,871
I am really enjoying the Utopia with my speaker amps, so much so that I ordered another box from Zynsonix but with increased attenuation (17dB, compared to my current box 12dB attenuation).

With 12dB attenuation, I get a faint background hum on the Utopia which is audible during quiet passages or in between songs. I could have lived with it, but my OCD was acting up.

*edit

If anyone wants to buy my first adaptor box (12dB attenuation switch), PM me!

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #3,714 of 3,871
I am really enjoying the Utopia with my speaker amps, so much so that I ordered another box from Zynsonix but with increased attenuation (17dB, compared to my current box 12dB attenuation).

With 12dB attenuation, I get a faint background hum on the Utopia which is audible during quiet passages or in between songs. I could have lived with it, but my OCD was acting up.

*edit

If anyone wants to buy my first adaptor box (12dB attenuation switch), PM me!
Shows me just how silent my T+A speaker amp is.
With 12db attenuation I can't hear the slightest background noise even on the Empyrean with 107db sensitivity

Oct 12, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #3,715 of 3,871
Thanks for the order Roasty. One difference between speaker amps and headphone amps is that headphone amps generally go to greater lengths to get the power clean because with sensitive headphones you'll hear the noise floor. With the HE-6 and Susvara, they behave as speakers do and it's very unlikely you'll hear any noise, and with other headphones 12dB attenuation is almost always enough to get rid of any residual noise.

Granted everyone already has an amp that you like the sound signature of, noisy PSU or not, so using a line conditioner can be helpful. I've had good luck over the years with PS Audio's (no affiliation) various lower cost products like the UPC, Duet, and Dectet. Also the relatively new Puritan Audio (no affiliation) mains purifiers are very impressive from a technical and value standpoint. I recently received a PSM136 and while the receptacles in the back can be a little tricky it does a nice job with even the fussiest tube amps. I was gearing up to build a new mains conditioner from scratch, but honestly it would cost the same price to build it as what Mike is charging for it so it saves me time for other projects :)

If anyone wants to build their own PM me and I can provide further info.

Nov 11, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #3,716 of 3,871
Received the second box from Bryan @HiGHFLYiN9 today, and -17dB is just nice for use with Utopia and my Kinki Studio pre/amp.

Yea a 250w power amp is super overkill for Utopia, but am very happy with the sound I'm getting. Lovely mids and geez that bass punch and slam is immense. I'm sure the Dekoni pads helped some there too.

Nov 11, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #3,718 of 3,871
Received the second box from Bryan @HiGHFLYiN9 today, and -17dB is just nice for use with Utopia and my Kinki Studio pre/amp.

Yea a 250w power amp is super overkill for Utopia, but am very happy with the sound I'm getting. Lovely mids and geez that bass punch and slam is immense. I'm sure the Dekoni pads helped some there too.
Yeah 17db attenuation is huge. Leaves like 6W to the headphone on your 250W amp (which still is Overkill, the Utopia probably gets physically damaged if you push more than 1W through it)

I still like the Zynsonix Box, doesn't feel like you Lose quality by using it.

Nov 11, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #3,719 of 3,871
Has anyone tried the speakers taps from something like an Accuphase E650 or Luxman L590AX into Susvara, Phi TC, or HE6?
Have used Linn Intek (50 wpc/8 ohms), Qinpu A-1.0X (100 wpc), Dussun T6 (100 wpc), Sophia Baby (tubes, 10 wpc, w/impedance-matching resistors), Jeff Rowland Model 2 (75 wpc) with the likes of the HE-6, HE1000SE and HEDDphone.

Nov 21, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #3,720 of 3,871
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back