Speaker amps for headphones
Sep 19, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #3,691 of 3,864
Anyone?
Hi chaps
My friend @ErichA is about to receive my Forzaaudioworks Speaker TAPs.
His goal was trying these on his Mcintosh MA 252 for driving Susvaras.
Now as we both are kind of noobs regarding amplification technicalities we re seeking advice for this setup.
I heard that driving speaker TAPs out of tube amps isn't a good idea without resistors?
Does this apply to the described setup?
a) What shall we add to get it running without damage?
b) better use an adapter box like the one just posted before?
Cheers
Anyone?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #3,692 of 3,864
Anyone?

Anyone?

I'll let someone more technical jump in, but yes, I would use a resistor box with a tube amp, it's widely accepted that there's risk with using headphones with tube amps directly. I use Raal's interface box with really good results.

Sep 21, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #3,693 of 3,864
I'll let someone more technical jump in, but yes, I would use a resistor box with a tube amp, it's widely accepted that there's risk with using headphones with tube amps directly. I use Raal's interface box with really good results.
Hi,

do you use Raal's interface box as a way to connect conventional headphones to your speaker amplifier?

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #3,694 of 3,864
I ask you because I would like to use it in the same way, but I am unsure about the technical feasibility of such a use. If it is possible it would be great, without the need to look for and buy a good resistor box.

Sep 21, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #3,695 of 3,864
I ask you because I would like to use it in the same way, but I am unsure about the technical feasibility of such a use. If it is possible it would be great, without the need to look for and buy a good resistor box.
I asked the manufacturer and he didn't recommend the use of the Interface Box for normal headphones.
The reason is because the Interface Box has baffle step compensation. It will alter the frequency response of other Headphones.

Sep 21, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #3,696 of 3,864
Anyone?

Anyone?

You shouldn't run a tube amp without a load connected. If you can't guarantee that, usually a shunt resistor is used. AFAIK Mcintosh MA 252 is a SS with tube preamp, so you should be fine.

Sep 21, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #3,697 of 3,864
You shouldn't run a tube amp without a load connected. If you can't guarantee that, usually a shunt resistor is used. AFAIK Mcintosh MA 252 is a SS with tube preamp, so you should be fine.
Thx, you are right, I wasn't even aware of that design.
So if tube amp is used only as preamp, there shouldn't be any risk really as only the amp directly connected to the speaker TAPs matters?

Sep 21, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #3,698 of 3,864
So if tube amp is used only as preamp, there shouldn't be any risk really as only the amp directly connected to the speaker TAPs matters?
Usually, yes.

Sep 21, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #3,699 of 3,864
Thx, you are right, I wasn't even aware of that design.

Correct.

Sep 21, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #3,700 of 3,864
Sep 21, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #3,701 of 3,864
I asked the manufacturer and he didn't recommend the use of the Interface Box for normal headphones.
The reason is because the Interface Box has baffle step compensation. It will alter the frequency response of other Headphones.
Thank you!

Sep 21, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #3,702 of 3,864
Hi,

do you use Raal's interface box as a way to connect conventional headphones to your speaker amplifier?

Yes, I use with regular headphones. I guess I could lug my marantz amp back into my listening room to compare with and without the interface, but I haven't noticed anything off with using the Raal box with the TC or the Susvara. I've pretty much landed on it and the EVO 400 as my main amp for both. But it's good info to have and eventually I guess I'll compare and report back.

Sep 21, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #3,703 of 3,864
Yes, I use with regular headphones. I guess I could lug my marantz amp back into my listening room to compare with and without the interface, but I haven't noticed anything off with using the Raal box with the TC or the Susvara. I've pretty much landed on it and the EVO 400 as my main amp for both. But it's good info to have and eventually I guess I'll compare and report back.
Thx!

Sep 21, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #3,704 of 3,864
I guess that's going to change with the upcoming release of the RAAL circumaural SR1a - interface boxes without, or a switch to disable, the baffle step compensation.

Sep 23, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #3,705 of 3,864
So, I realized the speaker tap I ordered is 20awg, and my speaker amp's manual says to only connect loudspeaker cable between 16 & 12awg. How much of a problem is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back