Speaker amps for headphones
Sep 17, 2021 at 4:42 AM Post #3,676 of 3,864
Are speaker taps always custom made? Is there not a way to create one from standard cable/adapters (without resorting to making the cable oneself)?

Sep 17, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #3,677 of 3,864
Are speaker taps always custom made? Is there not a way to create one from standard cable/adapters (without resorting to making the cable oneself)?
Never seen "standard adapters " of this kind.
The most "standard" approach I can think of is buying the Hifiman Speakertap Adapter Box from Amazon and use standard speaker and headphone cables.

Sep 17, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #3,679 of 3,864
Is it the same as the "HiFiMAN HE-Adapter"?
Yes, that's the one I meant.

It won't be as good as the custom solutions, but being from Amazon you can probably test it and return it if you don't like it

Sep 17, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #3,680 of 3,864
Thanks for the info, I might go that route. Otherwise I'm still waiting for an answer from Forza, and all of the other makers I know of are US-based.

Sep 17, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #3,681 of 3,864
Sep 18, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #3,682 of 3,864
Hi chaps
My friend @ErichA is about to receive my Forzaaudioworks Speaker TAPs.
His goal was trying these on his Mcintosh MA 252 for driving Susvaras.
Now as we both are kind of noobs regarding amplification technicalities we re seeking advice for this setup.
I heard that driving speaker TAPs out of tube amps isn't a good idea without resistors?
Does this apply to the described setup?
a) What shall we add to get it running without damage?
b) better use an adapter box like the one just posted before?
Cheers

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #3,683 of 3,864
I reached out to lavricables and got answers immediately, that might fill the missing piece of this puzzle.
I have one last quick basic question: I was planning to have this: RME ADI2 DAC <--- XLR interconnect ---> Roksan K3 <--- speaker tap ---> Susvaras.
But I might have an opportunity to get a discounted (demo unit) Roksan K3 INT, which might be generally more useful, but which does not have XLR input. Do I have to replace the XLR interconnect by a RCA interconnect and does it matter in any way?

Sep 18, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #3,684 of 3,864
I reached out to lavricables and got answers immediately, that might fill the missing piece of this puzzle.
I have one last quick basic question: I was planning to have this: RME ADI2 DAC <--- XLR interconnect ---> Roksan K3 <--- speaker tap ---> Susvaras.
But I might have an opportunity to get a discounted (demo unit) Roksan K3 INT, which might be generally more useful, but which does not have XLR input. Do I have to replace the XLR interconnect by a RCA interconnect and does it matter in any way?
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/roksan-k3-stereo-power-amplifier/1839349200-172-6480?
Potentially you can get my speaker TAPs in case Erich from my post above cannot use them for his Mcintosh

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #3,685 of 3,864

Sep 18, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #3,687 of 3,864
Are you not using the speaker tap yourself anymore then? Did you get another one, or did you change your setup?
Actually there are 2 reasons:
My Susvaras left driver stopped working.
Not related in anyway to that setup, guess just a quality issue.
I am expecting a long waiting time getting it back and leaving K3 unused in the meantime - therefore I returned the brand new K3 too in order to not suffer from value loss.
Second thing is that I think the Shanling M30 signature with yet pronounced mids don't pair perfectly with the Roksan signature leading too some tracks appearing a bit bloated in the midbass region in contrast to running from M30 alone.
If you have a more neutral source such as e.g RME ADI 2 DAC I think that could fit better

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #3,689 of 3,864

Users who are viewing this thread

Back