Speaker amps for headphones
Nov 22, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #2,927 of 3,864
Does anybody know where I can buy a basic he-500 cable with banana plugs in the Uk?  Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #2,928 of 3,864
  If true double blind tests were required for all new audio gear claims the industry would collapse.

So true, but, IMO not necessarily a bad thing.  I`ve recently been comparing 16/44, 24/192 and DSD versions of the same albums (StevieRayVaughn, Diana Krall, Stevie Wonder) and I was thinking, placebo is fine.  In the end, regarding enjoying music and music gear, what it the difference between `reality` and placebo?  If someone really thinks they hear a difference with their new cable,  and enjoys that difference, what is the point of them doing tests to verify if the difference is real or not?  

I can`t believe I just said that.  Perhaps religiion is in my future.  

Anyway, OT, I just recieved my rhodium spades - XLR4 cable and am about to hear my HD800 from the speaktaps of my Denon PMA-S1 ! 

Nov 22, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #2,932 of 3,864
We take risks in life; that's why we have audio gear and technology and culture and (most of us) no longer live in caves. So far, we cannot predict all outcomes and replace all risk with certainty. With this we inevitably sometimes lose more than we gain. Or the opposite.

"Enjoy what you have" seems counter to human yearning and enterprise.

Dec 22, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #2,934 of 3,864
My new headphone amp set up:  Audio Note Conqueror Silver power amplifier, 6SN7W drivers, ELROG 300B power tubes, VT244 rectifier, Blue Circle headphone adapter (resistive).

A tiny bit of noise (that disappears when playing music) due to high gain in system (Audio Note CD4.1x + DeHavilland UV3 + AN power amp),
but this set-up has a lovely sound, more to my liking than my dedicated Stratus headphone amp.  A lot has to do with power tubes.

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #2,936 of 3,864
  My new headphone amp set up:  Audio Note Conqueror Silver power amplifier, 6N7W drivers, ELROG 300B power tubes, VT244 rectifier, Blue Circle headphone adapter (resistive).

A tiny bit of noise (that disappears when playing music) due to high gain in system (Audio Note CD4.1x + DeHavilland UV3 + AN power amp),
but this set-up has a lovely sound, more to my liking than my dedicated Stratus headphone amp.  A lot has to do with power tubes.

very nice.  it looks like the adapter allows you to choose the amount of resistance?  mine allows me to bypass but is not variable.

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #2,937 of 3,864
Review of the Elrogs please !!
biggrin.gif

Headphone listening is not my preferred mode.  I was just curious what my new amp would sound like through headphones.  At the moment, the house is full of family and I am not using my speakers because it interferes too much with family activity.  

I also find myself as something of an outlier when it comes to evaluating headphones, so it may not be that helpful.  The amplifier is excellent, considering it only cost about $7,000 (in Denmark). Even $100/ea. 300B tubes sound really good.

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #2,938 of 3,864

very nice.  it looks like the adapter allows you to choose the amount of resistance?  mine allows me to bypass but is not variable.

Yes, 8. 16 and variable to 400 Ohms.  If i had just one set of headphones, i think i would use a transformer.

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #2,939 of 3,864
  Yes, 8. 16 and variable to 400 Ohms.  If i had just one set of headphones, i think i would use a transformer.

makes sense.  actually, i do not engage the series resistors at all and only use the parallel when i use my tube amps.  for the blue circle hybrid all the resistors are bypassed so it effectively is a rely station so that i can run some good speaker cables to where i sit and have not too long of a headphone cable

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #2,940 of 3,864
I can't see why one would use a transformer in the first place..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back