speaker amp needed
Dec 9, 2006 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

soloz2

Headphoneus Supremus
I am in need of a receiver or an amplifier to drive a couple bookshelf speakers that I have just sitting in the closet right now. I'll use it with my computer and Phillips DVD player through my number cruncher 203.2. The speakers are Infinitys that I got a few years ago.

I was thinking something around the $200 range or less and was looking at either the Pioneer Elite A-35R or the Onkyo M282. would either of these be a good solution, or would something else be better? any help is appreciated.

Dec 9, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 32
I wouldn't consider multi-channel receivers to power a two-channel setup. Instead, I'd search for an inexpensive two-channel integrated amplifier.

For any given dollar amount, an integrated amplifier will produce much better sound in two channels than a multi-channel receiver. The money that would go into an extra five channels and a radio receiver will go into better two-channel quality.

If you're driving bookshelf speakers on your desktop, you don't need a high-power amplifier. A lot of entry-level integrated amplifiers produce 40 or 50 Watts, which should be more than enough!

Audio Advisor is a good source for hi-fi equipment; they really stand behind their products. Unfortunately, the least expensive integrated amplifier they offer is a $400 NAD.

Gosh, I've been looking around the Web, and I don't see integrated amps being offered for much less! Tweeter.com offers Denon's DRA297, which is a two-channel receiver (amplifies two channels and has a built-in radio), but I'm not sure Denon's two-channel products hold a candle to even, say, a NAD. Try finding a NAD dealer near you, because I suspect they must offer integrated amplifiers for around $200. And probably you can find an audio store near you that offers used equipment. For $200, a used integrated amp is probably your best bet! Yup, that's my final answer!

Good luck!

Dec 9, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
look into the vintage gear. For ~$100 you can get a nice amp. And I am using a 10 watt integrated amp and its puching these speakers without a problem

any suggestions for vintage gear? I'm kinda new to the audiophile scene so I have no idea what's good

Dec 9, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #6 of 32
Im using an old pioneer as I type and Im very happy for the $55 I payed. I have heard good things about the older Marantz stuff as well. Mine is an integrated amp, so no tuner, but it does have a phono stage and sounds great.
I'm sure if you spent $200 you could out do it, but good deals can be had cheap if you want to go against the spirit of H-f and NOT spend every dime you can.
tongue.gif

Dec 9, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 32
thanks for your help thus far. I dug out my speakers and verified that they are Infinity RS2 bookshelf speakers. It looks like they were made during the 90's according to Infinity's website they have these specs:

Frequency Response: 50Hz - 20kHz
Sensitivity: 89dB (2.83 volts/1 meter)
Impedance: 8 ohms
Output Level: MAX - 106dB spl
Recommended Power Amplifier Range: 15 - 100 watts
Woofer: 6.5" (160mm) co-injected
Tweeter: 0.5" (12mm) Polycarbonate

I also checked on ebay to see about some vintage integrated amps. there are a few that looked good so I might bid, I might hold off... I'll see what they're going for.

Also, I found a NAD dealer that is close by to my wife's parents and we have plans to go visit them next weekend so I'll try to check out the NAD dealer. I have a feeling that getting something like that will yield a cost of more then $200 though.

if anyone knows of any specific models that would be particularly good or anything that I should definitely stay away from that would be much appreciated.

Dec 9, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #8 of 32
Also, look into the Digital powered intergrated amps at about that 200 price point. Specificaly the JVC RX-FX10S which I have inpu thru the DVD IN selected to Multi operates just in stereo 2ch and sounds fantastic. There is pleanty of online research to be done on these digital amps Pioneer XS-55 (and others also) come highly regarded for their power and finesse with the midrange presentation being their strenths dependant as always, on associated gear inline upstream / downstream.

Good luck~

Dec 9, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #9 of 32
I also would suggest a vintage receiver or integrated amp. I believe that the Marantz are sort overpriced as far as vintage equipment goes, so look for Sansui, Pioneer, or Kenwood gear from the 1970s. My recommendations would be -

Sansui AU-517 or AU-717 integrated amps
Sansui G-7000 receiver
Pioneer SA-9100 integrated amp
Pioneer SX-1010 receiver
Kenwood KR-6600, KR-7600 receiver
Kenwood KA-8100, 9100 integrated amps (the 9100 is an especially good bargain if found around $300)

Any of those will have plenty of juice to drive a pair of bookshelves to healthy levels and have a build quality vastly superior to new products in the price range (and likely anywhere near $1000). Keep an eye on ebay, or check out http://www.2channelaudio.net/ Good Luck.

Dec 10, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, look into the Digital powered intergrated amps at about that 200 price point. Specificaly the JVC RX-FX10S which I have inpu thru the DVD IN selected to Multi operates just in stereo 2ch and sounds fantastic. There is pleanty of online research to be done on these digital amps Pioneer XS-55 (and others also) come highly regarded for their power and finesse with the midrange presentation being their strenths dependant as always, on associated gear inline upstream / downstream.

Good luck~

I can't seem to find any information on either of those amps... anyone have a link?

would a sonic t amp be powerful enough?

Dec 14, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #14 of 32
All I can tell is that I considered a T-amp about a year ago. But 2 considerations made me go with Onkyo instead: 1) my speakers are not too sensitive (83 dB/W) and 2) The AC adapter for the $30 T-amp was running me about another $30. So I went with the $130 onkyo in the end.

In your case, 89 dB is pretty sensitive, so you may be fine with a T-amp. There is also an updated version IIRC, the Super-T, but I think that's over $100.

However, I'd say if your budget is $200, just go with an Onkyo or Harman Kardon 2-channel amp/receiver. I doubt any of the T-amps will sound appreciably better.

Dec 16, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #15 of 32
I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the Lttle Dot T_100 amp that will be shipping next week.

here are the specs:
* Based on the Tripath TA2022 Class T
* Continuous Maximum Output: 2x100W @ 4 ohms, 2x60 @ 8 ohms
* Frequency Response: 9 hz - 93 Khz (+/- 5db)
* THD+N: 0.02%
* Micro-chip switching from four different sources
* 0 to -63 digital volume control (degree of distortion < 0.002%)
* Samsung digital (VFD) display
* Speaker surge protection: 200VA
* Infrared remote control
* Price: $250 plus shipping ($50 shipping to N. America, $70 to Western EU)
* Upgraded Tube Stage PCB with EF92/CV131 vacuum tubes: $270 plus shipping ($50 shipping to N. America, $70 to Western EU)

pics here
http://www.little-tube.com/forum/for...sp?TID=51&PN=1

it looks pretty interesting to me. I have a LDM+ and like it. I'd have to save up more money of course, but it looks good to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back