Speaker amateur looking for upgrade advice!
Feb 10, 2019 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

bluescreenlife

New Head-Fier
Hey all! Totally new here, but looks like a good place to ask opinions on upgrades.

I’ll explain my current setup, listening space, and music I listen to, and hopefully the more experienced folk can guide me with all your expertise!

Right now I have a set of DLK 1 ½ and ADS L520. I’m planning to sell them to fund an upgrade to some floor-standers with a more full/dynamic sound that will fill the room. My current amp is an AMC 3050a, from what I understand they were engineered by NAD folks before NAD became a company. The other amp I have is a Yamaha CA-610 II. I really do love the sound of that thing with the ADS speakers, it’ll be hard to let those go. My turntable is a ProJect Perspective, and I’m head over heels about it lately Using an ADC XLM MKII Improved Gold with the Y/X MK III stylus. I think a speaker upgrade would drastically improve what I’m hearing.

I listen to a lot of vinyl, but I’m also running my computer into the aux, with a 2 terabyte library of lossless/FLAC albums. Occasionally I’ll use my Sennheiser HD650 headphones with the AMC amp, but that’s beside the point.

I listen to a relatively wide variety of music… from jazz (big fan of Davis and modal jazz, Coltrane, Art Blakey, Bird, Sonny Rollins, some swing e.g. Brubeck) to blues—BB King and Stevie Ray Vaughan—quite a bit of classic rock—Floyd, Zeppelin, Rush, Dire Straits, Big Star, King Crimson… some folk and country like John Prine, Hank Williams Jr… a decent amount of metal, and a lot of newer indie bands.

So, speakers that do well with a wide variety of soundscapes would be ideal…

As far as new speakers, I’ve been eyeing the Q Acoustics 3050 or 3050i. Great reviews across the board and reportedly great bang-for-buck value. Overall I'm looking to spend under $1000.

However I am not necessarily set on buying new, I know you can get a lot of value going used as I have so far.

Here’s a photo of my listening space:

mkXqJ5Vm.jpg

mkXqJ5V

PS I know the speakers should be pointed at a listening spot—I am often moving about the room so I wanted a more open feel.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Feb 10, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 3
Check the websites Slickdeals and Techbargins for speakers on sale.

Feb 11, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #3 of 3
Quick take: Lots of heavy furniture and carpet - any way to move that back away from speakers (upper bass -> mids getting eaten?) Also that slanted ceiling is going to give reflections and potentially a hollow/horn loaded edge to the sound.

You could upgrade the capacitors in the speakers and/or the tweeters.

You might want to look into D'Appolito aligned towers (MTM alignment). IMO the tweeter is the key driver Look for AMT, ribbon, folded ribbon and other exotics or very high end more standard technology such as SEAS and Morel. Consider used or a kit if you have the ability to repair/upgrade - or just save money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back