Speaker advice
Jul 14, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:
They are okay, never owned them though.  What is your price range and what speakers have you heard that you like?

I can stretch to a bit over $100 USD. The only actual speakers I've ever had were a Logitech Z-2300 2.1 set of comp speakers. I have a pair of old Pioneer Centrex bookshelf ones that seriously suck because they're so darn shrill in the upper range...a bookshelf pair would be great.

Quote:
Usually they are a great buy when on sale.
Check the website Techbargins.

Thanks for the link!

Jul 15, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #17 of 21
Check out you local craigslist ads for speakers under $100, or look for deals on some new stuff from online folks like Vanns (Sony and Boston Acoutics for under $100).  You may also want to try a pair of low cost 

Speakers from Parts Express like these:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-652

Bought a pair for my son for his bedroom.  They respond well to crossover tweaking and bracing but are a lot better than the typical computer speakers most folks use.

Good Luck

Jul 16, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #19 of 21
Thanks Bixby, those look nice. At this price range, will most speakers sound about the same?

Quote:
Like others said,check out your local pawn shops,salvation army auctions etc. I once bought a NIB pair of Magnepans for $60, lol. Lots of times they don't know what they have.

I've been haunting CL and Goodwill for a while but I think the problem is that I don't know what's a good deal and what's not. I've got a mini list of speakers that more than 3 people have mentioned as being good, but I never see any of them on CL...

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:
Due to a recent bereavement I've been given a nice old sound system, and I wondered if you could suggest some decent speaker options based on what I have.
Linn Axis turntable
Arcam Alpha Plus CD player, tuner and amp.
I tried the turntable with my ACS T1 straight out of the amp's headphone jack (Depeche Mode's "A Broken Frame" was the only album to hand that wasn't Scottish Country Dance band music) and the sound blew my mind, I have to say. Almost 25 years old this gear, but it's sublime.
Just wondered if you could recommend some speaker options as I'm a novice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi,What size speakers are you after,and what's your budget,let us know and i will look on ebay uk for a few suggestions....for you..

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #21 of 21
M ost speakers in the low price range will nto sound the same.  You may just have to take a leap of faith and buy a good used pair.  Is size an issue?  I just saw a pair of Dynaco a25s for $100.  Cabinets were nto that great but it is a good classic speaker.

Vintage Brands to consider:

Cizek
Polk
Dynaco
ADS
Tannoy
Warfdale
Advent
Monitor Audio
Paradigm
Mission 
Kef