SparkoS Aries headphone amp
May 5, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #76 of 355
Mickey try one I’ll think you’ll like it ,...
Buongiorno my friend! Sparkos was one of my shortlist. Along with Benchmark HPA4, Niimbus, LTA microZOTL MZ3.

But along came a good deal with a Pathos Inpol Ear that I couldn't pass up...

May 5, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #77 of 355
First off, I neglected to mention that Zach at ZMF uses the SparkoS Aries as his solid-state reference when tuning his headphone designs. He also owns a HeadAmp GSX mk2, but tells me he uses the Aries over it "9 times out of 10". That's certainly high praise from a respected 3rd party who has no skin in the game (if anything, it's a competitor for his Pendant amp).

I add that just to give you an idea that your Verite probably makes a superb match with the Aries. I have not checked out those latest AT woodies but your mention of "highly resolving, neutral, and transparent" is pretty much the exact description of this amp.

I've heard the Phonitor X somewhat briefly, but not the XE. Honestly I don't even know what the differences are. As has pretty much always been my experience with SPL products, I liked but didn't love the Phonitor X. My quick impression is that it's just a good general performer with a slightly warm, vague presentation, good for most headphones and genres without any particular standout trait. Not a bad choice by any means but also not as compelling as some others in that price range. You;ll note I did not include it in my recent Darko roundup of 4 higher-end headphone amps, despite it fitting perfectly in terms of price. That should tell you something.
Hmm I don’t know what happened there , maybe one too many tokes over the line last night ,,... I thought to post your comments Project86 for the fellow who asked the question about amplifiers just to further highlight the Aries is very popular with the owner of ZMF..

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #79 of 355
Having ordered the Aries preamplifier three months ago my time with it was brief after selling a previous dac . The two long and arduous months waiting for the new dac to arrive I’m now back in the saddle having a great time catching up listening to music.

Attachments

• 21026B1F-0AD1-44FC-8AD0-9C7880960003.jpeg
    21026B1F-0AD1-44FC-8AD0-9C7880960003.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • B022F590-843D-4504-9964-A0B89C375FE5.jpeg
    B022F590-843D-4504-9964-A0B89C375FE5.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
May 7, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #80 of 355
Having ordered the Aries preamplifier three months ago my time with it was brief after selling a previous dac . The two long and arduous months waiting for the new dac to arrive I’m now back in the saddle having a great time catching up listening to music.
Nice. What's this wallpaper thing you got going on, too? Looks good with the gear.

May 7, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #81 of 355
Nice. What's this wallpaper thing you got going on, too? Looks good with the gear.
I know ! it makes a great back drop , I have to remind my wife occasionally it’s My room now ,,.

May 10, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #83 of 355
May 10, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #84 of 355
In light of Zach (ZMF) mentioning he goes to the Aries nine times out of 10 over the well regarded Headamp GS-X MKII, the Aries might just jump over it’s price class and complete on a higher level.
Vangelis Sparkos Lab has I believe a 30 day trial , you may like it or not in your system with your music and ears is best of course. Sure there’s a list of better amplifier performance at a price of course.

On another note Ive had recently made some changes to my headphone system even my Lazy Boy recliner got a refresh , anyway I do have the preamplifier model of the Aries and had finally put some mileage on it.

I’ve been treated to a sensational experience with more to come as things run in ,,.While listening I seem to have developed a thousand yard stare my wife noticed she asked if I was feeling OK , Ha

Having lived with Lamm electronics for a number of years in my main system the $3.000.00 for the Aries preamplifier is a remarkable deal ....

May 13, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #86 of 355
I'm ordering the Aries as well. Heard a lot of good things about it. Can't wait!
+1 I ordered it as well. Anybody has tried the Aries with a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M? I got tired with the RME, it is an excellent DAC but I wanted a change. Anybody has tried this DAC?

May 13, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #88 of 355
Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #89 of 355
Vangelis Sparkos Lab has I believe a 30 day trial , you may like it or not in your system with your music and ears is best of course. Sure there’s a list of better amplifier performance at a price of course.

On another note Ive had recently made some changes to my headphone system even my Lazy Boy recliner got a refresh , anyway I do have the preamplifier model of the Aries and had finally put some mileage on it.

I’ve been treated to a sensational experience with more to come as things run in ,,.While listening I seem to have developed a thousand yard stare my wife noticed she asked if I was feeling OK , Ha

Having lived with Lamm electronics for a number of years in my main system the $3.000.00 for the Aries preamplifier is a remarkable deal ....
Any comments on the May vs Audiobyte comparison? Even with limited break in for the May what does your audiobyte memory tell you?

May 14, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #90 of 355
Nikos I can tell you the Holo May KTE dac is killer with more to come as it runs in ,.....However Id like to give credence to the AudioByte Vox ,this one bit FPGA design dac is no slouch , my initial interest in the Audiobyte Vox was its dedicated headphone section it’s compact neat and tidy appearance with a up and coming matching third piece to complete this digital stack a streamer named the Hub which as I understand has not been released yet.

Being new to using headphones initially all I wanted was something to keep everyone including myself happy in our household .
Our new home can’t accommodate my main system also my family don’t care to hear any of my music so until I can come up with a solution I’m happy to say my experience with listening with headphones has been a very positive one .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back