Sparkle & Atrio can now be used in the same sentence...
Mar 22, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #121 of 133
Ah, right... it is. I was looking more at the farthest extension I guess.... 

I wonder how the Sony EX1000 graph looks by comparison.

Mar 22, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #122 of 133
For a comparison I have  FR graph for the TF10, Panasonic 300 and Monster turbines. 

Here is the TF10:

To note, I think the roll-off is necessary.  I eqed the response of a few phones to be flat to approx. 16kHz and it was terrible. Harsh and overwhelming treble...sounded like a piezo tweeter in my ear.  I'm not sure if there is a perfect frequency response for iems, but flat is not it. 

Mar 22, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #123 of 133
I think the graph shows what the Atrios sound like pretty well except for the treble extention. In my ears they aren't rolled off, no one else who has heard the MG7 so far has noticed any treble roll-off, so I think the dramatic roll-off is an artifact.

Mar 22, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #124 of 133
I think the roll-off is accurate for the absolute FR, but this does not take into account the effects of having the driver 1/4" from your eardrum.  Also to note is the FR specs of all the BA phones...few list anything over 16K and to list the actual FR response with a +/- db as in ordinary loudspeakers looks bad.  I think it may be a bit disingenuous for dynamic phones to list up past 20K for the top end.   Then again, I know my hearing is inadequate above 16K anyway.  After extensive measuring and playing with a parametric eq and measuring, the roll off is a good thing.  Now where it rolls off will determine sound signature and "extension".  To me, the Atrios may be the slightest bit rolled off at the very top, but their treble extension is pretty darn good.  Their detail throughout the range is exceptional. My only gripe is the upper midrange peak...I can't seem to get a good eq profile to make them sound completely natural. 

Mar 23, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #125 of 133
Hmmm, I agree with you both. But that's definitely not what everyone is reporting. Nor what my ears are hearing not even recessed its clear and present. But I've never paid any attention to graphs so... As far as what might stand out the most nothing. This is what I call balance at its finest. Powerful bass non recessed mids and clear treble, with a very surprising clarity thru out the spectrum. Not bad at all. The computer tries to get technical I've been telling math professors 2+2 is not 4 for years but they never listen. O-O

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #127 of 133
I think there is a small spike in the area right where the mids become treble.  It has gotten a LOT better with burn in (previously, some songs I just couldn't listen too.  Now it doens't bother me at all, but it still exists)

But the bass is balanced.  Balanced, and well represented, that is the beauty of the Atrio M5 bass.

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #128 of 133
There is a unique balance, I agree I never really feel sibilance as others but I felt it about to edge on the vocals of some tracks. 

That was like......15 days ago 
rolleyes.gif
 A bunch of hours, drinks, beers and other things ago.

For people with fit issues reverse the two and your problem should be solved if you continue you ears look like dolphin ears and they won't fit.

May 22, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #129 of 133
is there a packaging difference between the new mg7 drivers and the old ones? hope someone is able to post up a few pics of the new packaging as i'm planning to get a pair for myself. thanks!

May 22, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #130 of 133
Already posted here.

Quote:
is there a packaging difference between the new mg7 drivers and the old ones? hope someone is able to post up a few pics of the new packaging as i'm planning to get a pair for myself. thanks!

May 22, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #131 of 133

Quote:
I think the roll-off is accurate for the absolute FR, but this does not take into account the effects of having the driver 1/4" from your eardrum. 

Just to return to this, no, this graph is completely inaccurate when it comes to treble for the Atrio. The graph shows a 30db, yes 30db, drop from 3khz to 10khz. That is simply not accurate and if it were, it would be very, very clearly audible to everyone as violins or sopranos would seem to drop off the face of the earth in every song they appeared in.

It's cool to have homebrew frequency graphs for people who swing that way, but something is simply wrong with the method if it doesn't reflect at all what anyone is hearing.

May 23, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #132 of 133
I will still have to respectfully disagree.  I have compared most of my graphs with what is available from headroom and others, and what I see in my graphs is fairly close to what the other professionals have recorded.  It must be remembered, that the 3k dip is intentional as there is a resonance in most ears there due to the canal.  I never said the Atrios were extremely rolled of, just that the top end is slightly rolled off.  Looking at the graph as one would look at a normal speaker graph is not accurate.  Almost all of the headphone frequency response graphs I have seen have a fairly large roll off, and pretty much have greatly reduced output above 6 to 9 khz.  Let me just say, I do not claim my graphs are the be all for accuracy, but to my ears, they represent fairly closely what I hear and are confirmed by other professional reviews. To give a comparison, here is my monster turbine graph versus headroom's.  Pretty close.  Lots of roll off. Is it as obvious as the graph reflects...no.  I will admit that the low end is a little off...I think it is seal related though as my mic may have a leak around the capsule.

May 23, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #133 of 133
Might be worth mentioning that these take longer to burn-in than any other IEM I've had.  At least 100-150 hours.  Honestly, it took more than two months for these to fully burn-in at the rate I was listening to them.  No more spikes, mids are forward, but in a natural way, not a distorted way.  Treble is godly smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back