SP-100 Sound Pressure Level Meter for earphones and iems!!
Jan 28, 2011 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

LevA

500+ Head-Fier
just found this on the net..
recently been getting slight ringing, tinnitus in my ears, though it may be due to diving rather than loud musis levels...
I think this will be money well spent for everyone here who worries about protecting their ears.

and here is the website 
http://www.dblogic.com/products/spl-meter/

anyone tried these yet??

Jan 28, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #2 of 17
Quite an interesting product and won't mind to pick one up myself, but I don't think it is released yet.

Jan 28, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #3 of 17
yeah, just found on their site note about release date of february 1st, after sending them an email to where to get them..lol.
the spl meter will be sold for 49.95 MSRP, which I think is reasonably priced considering the enormous benefit of protecting your ears..

Jan 28, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #4 of 17
No information on cost on the web site. Apparently they are not available until Feb 1st. Interesting technology, though. I could also see this being used to set volume levels to compare various IEM at constant volume levels.

Edit: I just emailed them, but I see that it's $49.95, which isn't bad. I'll probably buy one.

Jan 28, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #5 of 17
here's some more info I found from their company site:

Posted on January 6, 2011

Sound Pressure Level Measurement Meter and SPL2 Adapter for use with Earbuds Now Available

LAS VEGAS, Jan. 6, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — (2011 International CES, South Hall Lower Level #MP25550) –– dB Logic today announced two new earphone accessory products, the SPL Meter and the SPL2 Adapter with dB Logic’s award-winning SPL2 technology.  The dB Logic SPL Meter is the first device that allows consumers to measure the volume of music coming through their existing earbuds or in-ear monitors (IEMs) to ensure the volume is at safe listening levels.  The dB Logic SPL2 Adapter utilizes the company’s proprietary SPL2 technology and is designed to attach to existing earbuds, to limit volume levels as needed while seamlessly preserving the original musical content.

dB Logic’s compact SPL Meter is designed to measure sounds from earbuds and in-ear monitors.  Consumers can easily hold the earbud or in-ear monitors up to the meter and get a reading of how loud the music is playing.  This allows the user to better understand the sound pressure levels they are experiencing(1).  Without a meter or measurement tool, it can be difficult for consumers to measure or estimate volume.  In addition, the Meter can also measure ambient sound levels, such as concert volume, automotive stereo volume, or crowd noise.

The dB Logic SPL2 Adapter features the company’s award-winning SPL2 technology, which limits volume levels using advanced circuitry and eliminates the need for bulky battery-powered processors required by competitive sound pressure limiting products.  This product is simply plugged into a consumer’s existing audio device, and then the earbuds plug into the adapter.  With many consumers already owning earbuds, this device provides security and helps avoid hearing damage due to long-term exposure to high sound pressure levels without having to purchase a new set of earbuds.  SPL2 technology maintains the integrity of the sound so the limiting is virtually transparent to the listener and the audio content does not sound clipped or distorted.  

“The dB Logic SPL Meter and SPL2 Adapter are complementary to our headphones and earphones, and provide consumers an easy way to determine if they are listening at safe sound pressure levels with products they currently own,” said Med Dyer, co-founder and chief technology officer at dB Logic.  ”dB Logic’s SPL2 technology is core to all of our products and the SPL Meter and SPL2 Adapter continue with the company’s mission to ensure that consumers can protect their hearing without sacrificing audio quality.”

Pricing and Availability

The battery-powered SPL Meter will be available for $49.95 MSRP and the SPL2 Adapter will be available for $19.95 MSRP.  Both products will be available on the dB Logic website (www.dblogic.com) in January 2011.

http://www.dblogic.com/2011/01/06/db-logic-launches-two-new-earphone-products-to-ensure-healthy-listening/#more-246

Jan 28, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #6 of 17
Did you know that tinnitus in some instances can be caused by high blood pressure or a middle ear infection .  It can also be caused by some drugs like to much aspirin or drinking to much red wine , some beers , cheese , chocolate and even to much coffee . 
I've had tinnitus since i was a kid , Mine was cause by a fire cracker blowing up very close to my head and i have lived with it for more that 40 years . 
 I checked my W3"s with a Radio shack SPL meter and i generally listen to my music at about 70-75 db for long sessions but every once in a while i like to crank it up  , It's nice to know !!!

Jan 28, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
Did you know that tinnitus in some instances can be caused by high blood pressure or a middle ear infection .  It can also be caused by some drugs like to much aspirin or drinking to much red wine , some beers , cheese , chocolate and even to much coffee . 
I've had tinnitus since i was a kid , Mine was cause by a fire cracker blowing up very close to my head and i have lived with it for more that 40 years . 
 I checked my W3"s with a Radio shack SPL meter and i generally listen to my music at about 70-75 db for long sessions but every once in a while i like to crank it up  , It's nice to know !!!

yes I've been reading up on tinnitus and am hoping that it is just temporary.
but as you say, its nice to know the level of listening volume and being able to adjust according to ones listening habbits (ie. if you listen for long hours adjust the volume lower than usual etc. )
I for one am definitely getting one once it is out on sale.  

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #10 of 17
[size=medium]My name is Med Dyer and I am one of the engineers at dB Logic, the company behind the SPL meter being talked about in this thread. I am not new to HeadFi, as previously I worked with Ultimate Ears on their consumer (ie non-custom) IEMs. I was a part of all of the UE products through the UE 700, but the triple.fi was the product I had the most involvement with, so it has been very gratifying to see it receive so much love here on HeadFi over the last few years. During that period I spent a lot of time on HeadFi, and I worked directly with a number of HeadFi members on UE beta tests and focus groups. I have also been to a number of HF meets, local and national, as a representative of UE.[/size]

[size=medium]Over the last few years my new company has spent a lot of time working on a method to limit sound pressure level (SPL) in headphones without adding distortion. We wanted to be able to produce headphones and IEMs that sound great, but that have a hard SPL limit. The idea here is that the SPL limiting would be an inaudible backup to keep listeners from exceeding 85dB SPL, and thereby encourage healthier listening habits. Other products do exist for SPL limiting, but they either sound terrible, with clipping and distortion, or they require batteries and a large "module" in the cable. Our products do not require power and they sound great even when turned up to the limit. For an audio guy like myself, these are the holy grail of SPL limiting -- no power, no distortion or audible artifacts, and tiny size. These products are fairly inexpensive considering the combination of sound quality and SPL limiting. We understand that the performance driven HeadFi crowd may not be the target audience, but your teenagers might be, or any other listener that needs an upgrade from stock earbuds and could benefit from SPL limiting. We have really tried to make the general listening experience so good that the limiting is not even a factor.[/size]

[size=medium]Now for the SPL meter. We knew that this would be a popular item on HF. It is very cool! You can use it to measure the SPL in any IEM, or with earbuds (like Apple), or to measure ambient / room noise. It works in real time, using your player and your music. It is extremely small, in fact it has a lanyard attachment point and some of our engineers carry them now on their keychains. It is not available for sale just yet, but it is in production right now. We will have it available for sale on our website and on Amazon in late February. We have had several units out with various beta testers the last few months and I can tell you that everyone likes them.[/size]

[size=medium]As these new products make it into the market I look forward to seeing the thoughts of those HeadFi users that end up using them. During the early days of the UE consumer products we all followed HF very closely to see what the comments were like. That was a very exciting time and we are hoping to duplicate it somewhat with this new company.[/size]

[size=medium]Thank you for your continued interest.[/size]

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #11 of 17
Nice to see you here, Med. I hope your guys do ship oversea as I am very interested in picking the SPL meter up. Kind of handy as I need to volume match my IEM and earbud quite often.

Feb 2, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #12 of 17
thanks for the update. I've been checking the site last 2 days trying to buy but no luck. hopefully there wont be any more delays and it gets out at the end of the month.
and yeah, like Clieos I hope you will find a way to do sales and shipping for overseas customers. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back