Southern Ontario! ---> Lets get this road trip to the National Meet planned guys!
Mar 10, 2006 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok guys,

NotoriousBIG_PJ, xand1x and myself have shown interest... who else is game for a roadtrip? I think the best way to go it to get at least 4 people with at least 2 being licensed drivers. Now me being here throws a wrench in that because, believe it or not, I've never driven in my life. We can either use someones vehicle or rent a van. I'd also like to discuss if we should try to get one or two of the few [only 4 now I think] rooms that are left at the hotel. I will be taking off the friday and probably the monday after from work and would be game for staying in NYC the whole weekend... though if anyone needs to leave early that is fine too.

So... what do you think?

- Jason
340smile.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 13
I will be bringing the following, shouldn't take up much space as I plan on using my newly acquired PSOne screen with my PC... possibly modded with a touchscreen.
evil_smiley.gif

Amps:
Balanced tube amp, most likely a Bamaslama [if it is done in time]
Balanced SOL headphone amp, mosfets [if it is done in time]
Headphone out on the Lavry
XLR out on the Lavry
Headphones:
Heavily modded AKG K340
John Grado HF-1
Shure E4 [with extra foamies]
Sources:
Philodox's Computer / Linksys wireless router / Slimdevices Squeezebox
Lavry Black DA10
Power:
PS Audio UPC-200

Table Preference:
Table 1+2, 13 or 19 would be awesome... mainly because of the gear that I'd love to hear. Also would love to be at Tyrion's table as I hear that is where the beer is at? Me and Mike get along well, so that would work. Table 16 would be cool as they seem to have good taste in music. What do you guys think?

As for rules... pretty much the same ones Jahn has listed for his table. If I know you, fine, if not give me your drivers license.
wink.gif

EDIT: Actually, I guess I don't really need the router... could just use the wired port on the squeezebox I suppose.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #4 of 13
I just sent a PM to people that have shown interest so far. If I didn't email you and you are interested in coming along, please let me know ASAP as I would like to finalize plans soon.
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 13
If our driver situation looks bleak, I checked out the VIA Rail site and we should be able to take a train at around $250 for a round trip.

The downside of course being a less flexible schedule for us and the fact that a train takes about 12 hours from Toronto to NYC(
eek.gif
).

Just a fallback plan if we don't have any drivers.

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 13
If you wouldn't mind, could you check into flights as well? A friend in Chicago said it is only going to cost him around $200.

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #7 of 13
For a round trip we'd be looking at $350-400 per person. The plane only takes about an hour and a half to arrive though.

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 13
Yikes, that is a little pricey...

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 13
Yeah, a little more than I'd like to dish out for transport.

For reference, a Greyhound bus costs about the same as the VIA train and takes the same amount of transit time. Renting a car big enough for 4 people with some luggage each would be ~$60 a day. From a price perspective we just end up hoping that someone can drive us... pleeeeeease
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 13
Just checked Via Rail myself and if we leave on the 21st and return on the 24th it is $219 for a round trip from TO and $204 for a round trip from Aldershot [which is where I would get on]... not bad really when you factor car rent/gas/etc. I am still waiting to hear back from Aaron about Hotel rates.

Mar 16, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #12 of 13
According to map quest its an 8 hour drive from Oakvlle. I don't think that accounts for trouble at the border though hehe. That would be a painful drive.

Biggie.

Mar 17, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #13 of 13
8 hours, ain't gonna happen the way Mapquest routes it, you'll be lucky to get there in 9. Cross the border in Kingston instead of Niagara Falls, less traffic on the way, less waiting at the border, and less time on US highways where they drive s-l-o-w and block you in so you can't pass. And bring lots of US coins to pay for the toll roads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back