Sources up to 700...999es?
Jun 26, 2005 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

skitlets

500+ Head-Fier
Well, I hate to do this and ask for help. I had my plan all figured out...I intended to build a new silent pc, move the 1212m to that, and eventually upgrade to a ~$1000 DAC ala Benchmark/Bel Canto/Apogee/etc. Well, for embarassing reasons I will not enumerate, the computer is out of the question. So, I need game plan. I'm thinking of three options at the moment:
1. Just a CD player
2. CD transport -> DAC
3. streaming wireless music (i.e. roku soundbridge or others) -> DAC

All of this can cost up to ~$700, though $600 would be nicer. I also intend on getting a real RA-1, you see. Eventually, in the distant future, I will move up to a better DAC. But, for now, I need something to tide me over for about a year. So, give me your suggestions and any other options. Currently, I am eyeing the Sony 999es, but the naming convention is seriously confusing me. Where does it fall within the rest of the Sony line, and does it match the SCD series?

As for what I am looking for? The convenience of a computer is something I don't want to give up, so option 3 is looking best at the moment, but I will make the sacrifice for better sound quality. Sound-wise, I definitely want an improvement over the 1212m. Looking for excellent prat and realistic hi-hats, crashes, splashes, etc. So, give me your thoughts and ideas!

Jun 26, 2005 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 5
For a while, my airport express and CI VDA-1 were my only source. I felt the sq was comparable to much of the sub $750 and perhaps, sub $1,000 cdp's I had heard at the time. I recently had a chance to try out the Headroom microdac and felt it was the equal of the VDA-1. I was working off memory at the time. I certainly felt it was a worthy companion for my AX and apple lossless files. The beauty of the microdac is the options it gives you in terms of connections (coax, optical, usb).

Jun 26, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitlets
Currently, I am eyeing the Sony 999es, but the naming convention is seriously confusing me. Where does it fall within the rest of the Sony line, and does it match the SCD series?

The 999ES is Sony's current top of the line DVD player. From the review I read on avguide.com, it is a great sounding universal player but the SQ isn't quite as good as their top of the line dedicated CD/SACD players. You may also want to wait a few weeks since Sony is about to introduce a new lineup of players, including two ES-level DVD/SACD players...

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6451_7-....html?tag=lnav

Jun 26, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
For a while, my airport express and CI VDA-1 were my only source. I felt the sq was comparable to much of the sub $750 and perhaps, sub $1,000 cdp's I had heard at the time. I recently had a chance to try out the Headroom microdac and felt it was the equal of the VDA-1. I was working off memory at the time. I certainly felt it was a worthy companion for my AX and apple lossless files. The beauty of the microdac is the options it gives you in terms of connections (coax, optical, usb).

The problem with the airport express is that there is no way for me to control the music. The computer is upstairs, and my bedroom is downstairs. I'd have to run upstairs everytime I'd want to change something, unless there is a cheap method to control my computer wirelessly.

Jun 27, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 5
I've been going through the search functions again, and I've stumbled upon a number of other cd players:
Azur 640c
Onix XCD-88
Rega Planet
NAD C542
Jolida JD100A

A few DACS I've been looking at are the Micro DAC and the one offered by Channel Islands. Still, I'd need a cheap, decent transport. Any help guys?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back