Source vs Detail?
Jun 24, 2002 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Ok guys, I'm about to order my next amp!
eek.gif

I just got back from the WOH tour yesterday. I spent a long time with my two competitors, the MG Head OTL and the cosmic(aka Little with Premium Module).

The complaint that I had about the MG Head was that it didn't have as much detail as the cosmic and that it wasn't as snappy.

The MG head was being driven by a $300 marantz. The cosmic by a $6000 Meridian.

So, was it the amp or the source?

Jun 24, 2002 at 12:21 PM Post #3 of 17
BS1.

But I also heard the cosmic on a battery pack. It wasn't as large of a difference, but it was there. That time, it was powered by a ct470.

eek.gif

I think I'm asking whats better again. . . cosmic or mg head?

Jun 24, 2002 at 3:07 PM Post #4 of 17
Well, which was better-- CT470 -> Cosmic on batteries or Marantz -> MG Head?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 24, 2002 at 10:08 PM Post #8 of 17
The MG will be smoother because it's not accurately reproducing what it's fed.

Get the Little. You'll love it.

Jun 24, 2002 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 17
Ok, I think that settles it. I'll get the premium little. Heck, I can send it back if I don't like it. I loved the stock little. And if it really rocks, I can be considered a forerunner.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2002 at 10:57 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by gaineso

(Kelly crouches in front of a little desk lamp and makes handshadows representing a horse taking a dump.)

Jun 25, 2002 at 12:39 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

(Kelly crouches in front of a little desk lamp and makes handshadows representing a horse taking a dump.)

Kelly is saying he's full of horse manure???????

Jun 25, 2002 at 6:34 AM Post #13 of 17
Now really. Is the little premium Little the same as the COSMIC?

??????????
tongue.gif

Why the big price difference?

Besides the DC to DC power supply on the COSMIC.

To be honest, why are headphones so sucky? We have to experiment and buy all these amps to power the HD600's. Why
aren't the HD600's made with even the bass/low end or drivability of the HD570's? Basically, we are all puking ourselves
because of an overpriced and overhyped set of HD600's headphones. If they were at $150, I can see adding an extra hundred or so for nice amps. But you have to buy the darn Clous or equivilent, then play the amp game. Sennheiser is rolling over laughing and rolling in their money. We are all suckers!!!!!!
I plugged in my 20 year old Koss HV/X's in the Little for the first time last night. Was I surprised! So that's where the headphone Eurogurus got their engineering from? To bad they could not improve on it. The Koss were pretty good.

What a rant!

I am king of the suckers!

Put on a pair of Koss KSC35's. Plug them into your Little. Then Plug in the HD600's. $30? $400? Are we stupid, or what?
Hey Koss? You made the KSC35's for $30. You made the HV/X's.
MAKE US A REAL HEADPHONE FOR A REAL PRICE, AND NOT OF FRIGGING CARBON FIBER!!!!

very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 25, 2002 at 6:40 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by gaineso

Get the Little. You'll love it.

Hey! There is not a headphone MADE that accurately reproduces all it is fed! When you see a FLAT set of graphs for a headphone, let me know!

But, for the sake of an argument. Get a set up like Headrooms measuring system. Use one single set of good headphones, if any can be called good. Get every headphone amp Headroom sells, add a few that are popular on this forum, and graph them ALL. Each will be different? But with the same set of headphones?

So what's the difference? ALL the amps have a unique sound of their own. With just that set of headphones.

Check other headphones.

So.....NOTHING produces accurate sound! Really! Just pick a sound you like for your music.

Boy, am I in some mood today!
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back