Source Quality: Creative Zen Vs. IPod Classic Vs. Archos 504
Nov 22, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonichedgehog360 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which is the best in terms of output quality: the Creative Zen, the IPod Classic, or the Archos 504?

I need to know of a true-audiophile quality portable soon... I just see names like Cowon (sounds like it may be it). I really want a portable with great synergy. I found that out when comparing my current portable to friend's mp3 player's (Archos, iPod, etc.).

I really want a portable with great synergy (good at lowest bass impact, highest squeak of the treble).

Nov 22, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 12
With any headphones, particularly current-hungry ones. I really don't like the idea of amps. They add color, or remove it.

I really wish someone made a player with quality amplification. I don't care if it weighs a pound (or more). I have an old Pocket PC (Casio E-125) that can drive a HD-555 to high volume at 20%, 10% normal listening. It can even drive a HD-650. Only problemo is that it isn't very transparent or neutral with either. It is very warm, though I can hear upper treble.

So, if anyone give aid in my quest for my Christmas gift, here is what factors I am considering:
1)Drive-ability (10-20% Volume, Normal Listening Level for 50-ohm HD555)
2)Transparency
3)Neutrality

Nov 24, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #6 of 12
Help... Please!
So, if anyone give aid in my quest for my Christmas gift, here is what factors I am considering:
1)Drive-ability (10-20% Volume, Normal Listening Level for 50-ohm HD555, Able to Drive HD650)
2)Transparency
3)Neutrality

Nov 25, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #8 of 12
Cowon D2 has one of the strongest amps in a DAP. I don't know anything about their SQ though (besides that it is considered very good by many, and cold/artificial by some). If you don't like the idea of altering the music though, the Cowon might not be best for you, since a large part of its appeal seems to be in its effects and extensive EQ capabilities.

Nov 25, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonichedgehog360 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which is the best in terms of output quality: the Creative Zen, the IPod Classic, or the Archos 504?

I can't vouch for the other 2 players but I have owned a Ipod nano 3g, Cowon D2, Creative Zen, and soon Sony S639f and I have to say that the creative player owns the nano but is really outclassed by the D2.
If you're looking for something with a powerful output I would pass on the Zen.
The low-end really leaves something to be desired but the mids and highs are decent. If your into classical or acoustic music you may still consider it but with hip-hop or other bass driven genre it really is lacking.
Both the Zen and D2 hiss, but the D2's hiss scales up with the volume, while the Zens hiss is a continuous quiet one that to my ears is undetectable while listening to music. IMO neither are even that noticeable unless you listen to the D2 at super high volumes.
You should also consider what file types each player is capable of before making a decision.
Good luck

Nov 25, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #10 of 12
if you want neutral and transparent, recent Creative players are a resounding no. In my opinion, the zen touch was the pinnacle of creative players, and after the zen sleek, they really went downhill.

Ipods are junk in my opinion. They just sound wrong to me.

Archos 504 has upper middle of the road sound quality. More than acceptable for the average consumer. But not an audiophile.

That being said Sandisk has gone from being the "player for kids who couldn't afford an ipod" to one of the best names in the business. Sony players are said to be excellent. And Cowon has always been a good name.

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #11 of 12
agree about the d2's output power, and the sound quality is awsome too,
all cowon players are great when it comes to sq and output power,aspecially
the d2 and i7.
the d2 can also be amped and sounds great on flat eq and volume at 50 (the closest settings for a "line out").

the good thing about the ipod is that it has a true line out(not like the d2) and its better when pairing with a headphones amp.
it also sounds great with flat eq(maybe better than d2?...) it has more treble and less bass whan on flat. ( i guess because it is more flat )

the cowon players is the best if youre looking for eq (bass boosting and stuff)
but if you want a flat eq take a serius thought on the ipod!
it also got more (much more) space storage!

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #12 of 12
Just read this "old" thread...

Well the creative zen certainsly sounds better than my Ipod classic 160GB, it has a bit more bass, but mainly because the music comes alive, better soundstage, more briliance over the whole range.....one I listened to the zen my ipod sounded muffeled and booooring, like why bother listen to music? I definitively need to do something about my soundtrack, ordered better headphones straight away, hope it brings more fun with the classic. I feel I am stuck with it because of the capacity, have 90GB of music on it and than some movies....Archos is too big in my op., but had one in the past and had loads of problems getting used to the very restrictive iTunes experience!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back