Source for SR 325i and future cans
Jul 16, 2010 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Isak

New Head-Fier

I got my first set of real headphones last year, the Grado SR 325i, and am really happy with them. I know they're accused of being slightly 'harsh' in the heigh notes but I feel this has gotten better after using them for a while and, not the least, with using them with a good source. I'm thinking I'll use the SPDIF on the audigy and sometimes the USB imput with my laptop. Which brings me to my problem as my current setup (the Audigy 2 ZS in my desktop) is very far from doing them justice.

They sound great, however, on my dad's setup wich is an Arcam CD 23 - > Atoll IN 100 (which he uses to drive a set of Magneplans).

I listen to a wide variety rhythmic music, paul simon, tom waits, lots of older jazz (billie holiday, duke ellington, sarah vaughan, ella fitzgerald) and I appreciate the warmth and presence of the bass in the grados while the heighs can still sometimes become uncomfortable (though often I think it’s as much from the old recordings).

So I obviously need a proper source for them. I would prefer to go on using my computer as a source (I use EAC-ripped FLACs) for now, but I’d like to be able to use my DAC with other sources as well (a future ipod, squeezebox, CD or whatever I end up with). I’d prefer a solution that integrates DAC and amp but it’s not imperative.

I've browsed around a bit on this forum and from this have my eyes on the NUFORCE Icon HDP. From what I understand I get both a good DAC and Amp from this and it seems to me I might even use this as the starting point if I want to build a lower end ‘full’ stereo at a later point as well (I’m convinced I’ll continue using headphones as my primary source for personal listening however). My main doubt is that I’ve read that the SR 325Is do well with tube amplification; should I rather go for something like the little dot tube-amps and add a DAC to those? –which DAC in that case?

At some point I’ll probably go for some higher end headphones (I’m thinking Grado RS or GS since I love the sound and would like the softer tones of the wooden cans), will they need a higher grade source?

Jul 17, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #3 of 6
You're on the right track, I think.  Get an external DAC/amp or a DAC and an amp.  You can read about the typical choices on this board. I don't think you need to restrict yourself to a tube amp, though I have one in my "downstairs" system.

You might also want to try out the kx drivers (http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/)for the Audigy.  I like them anyway and they can make sure you get clean 24 bit out of the card.  In my office system, I feed the resulting S/PDIF coax out into a PopPulse 1796 DAC, and its RCA out into a cheap T-Amp, then to either desktop speakers or my RS/1i's (usually the latter).  Sounds great.  I also use cplay to play the media, with the Isone Pro cross-feed plugin and the kx driver ASIO (I'm on XP, so the suitability of the last depends on the OS you're using).

A lot of your choices here are matters of taste and how you prefer to use your rig.

- Ed

Jul 17, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 6
I owned the 325is' for a year before I sold them (not because there was anything wrong with them - just typical upgraditis hit me) - anyway, I bought the Little Dot I+ Hybrid Tube amp specifically for them. It's a great but inexpensive amp, gives you that nice tube sound and the fun of rolling tubes/opamps if and when you are ready, and is made to drive low impedance cans like the Grados. I loved the combo and still love this amp. You would need a dedicated Dac though - I'm currently running it in my secondary setup with a new Musical Fidelity VDac which is dynamite. I'm not sure of your budget but they make a really nice combo I think. Another option if you'd rather have a combo is the Matrix Mini-I maybe...

Jul 17, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #6 of 6

Ditto on the V-DAC --> LD 1+ --> Grado

I'm very happy with this rig for listening to CDs and FLAC files.

Quote:
I owned the 325is' for a year before I sold them (not because there was anything wrong with them - just typical upgraditis hit me) - anyway, I bought the Little Dot I+ Hybrid Tube amp specifically for them. It's a great but inexpensive amp, gives you that nice tube sound and the fun of rolling tubes/opamps if and when you are ready, and is made to drive low impedance cans like the Grados. I loved the combo and still love this amp. You would need a dedicated Dac though - I'm currently running it in my secondary setup with a new Musical Fidelity VDac which is dynamite. I'm not sure of your budget but they make a really nice combo I think. Another option if you'd rather have a combo is the Matrix Mini-I maybe...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back