Source for Grado "comfy" pads
Sep 16, 2002 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

minya

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got my SR-80's and though I think they're great, the "sandpaper" feeling of the pads feels like it's sanding my ears down to little holes. I figured I would try the comfy pads (and probably cut a hole in them) to see how those work.

Except shipping from HeadRoom is $7! That's nearly the cost of the pads themselves. Is there any other source I can get them from?

- Chris

Sep 16, 2002 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 8
Headroom is probably the best source.

Think yourself lucky. Here in the UK we pay £15 ($24).

Sep 16, 2002 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 8
Other than looking for them locally, you can try:

deciBel Audio:
http://www.store.yahoo.com/decibelchicago/

Instead though, as already mentioned:

Foam Earpads for RadioShack Wireless Phone:
http://www.radioshack.com/searchsku.asp?find=33-379

The RadioShack pads are smaller, lighter, and thinner than the Grado OEM comfies. Their polyurethane foam, being less dense, is physically cooler, softer, and attenuates less sound through absorption.

To install, simply turn them partially inside-out, stretch slightly using both hands, and "snap" into place. Check the fit around their circumference and adjust any errant edges.

Through experimentation, I've found that a hole about the size of the Sacagawea gold dollar (1.043 inches) works very well, YMMV.

TravelLite

Sep 18, 2002 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 8
I can't recall who mentioned this, it may have been joelongwood -but in any case, soaking your grado pads in warm soapy water goes a long way to softening them.

Let the pads soak up the soapy water and squeeze it out - repeat until you get bored, and then give them a thorough rinse and allow to dry. You should find that the washed pads conform better to the contours of your ears than they did initially.

This worked exceptionally well for me using the comfy pads (SR-60) with holes cut out of them. Initially, I was very happy with the comfort of the 'uncut' comfy pads. After cutting a hole in them, however, the comfort factor dropped as they seemed to perch uncomfortably on my ears. It was a similar sensation to that of the bowl pads when I auditioned the SR-80s. After the soap water treatment though, they are back to being very easy on the ears, with the added bonus of allowing some extra detail to come through. I can't see why this won't work for your bowl pads also.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2002 at 7:25 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

...soaking your grado pads in warm soapy water goes a long way to softening them.

I soaked my RS-1 pads in an unscented Downy fabric softener/water mixture with good results.

John

Sep 18, 2002 at 8:22 AM Post #7 of 8
I got a set of comfys...they already got them quarter/half dollar sized hole in em....send me a pm or email if you are interested. They are just sitting here collecting dust.
beware though, they do change the sound of the SR80s
md

Users who are viewing this thread

Back