Source CD Players
Jul 19, 2002 at 2:08 AM Post #16 of 30
I have been away from this for too long, looks as if there is alot more out there to offer. Markl, I should heed your thoughts and check into this Redbook that you talk of. I did not even know that there was an Audio mastering. Though it seems to me that DVD-A has a higher dynamic range that of 144db as compared to SACD 120db though SACD can hold an additional layer. Redbook I presume.
Goodwinshighend also states that Sony, Philips and Denon support both formats...

It looks to me as if Redbook is just a standard for "burning"
Though I will admit whole heartedly that I am a novice to the introduction of this format. I am still old school, happy to get an MP'3 sampled higher than 200....

Duhh
redface.gif
now I understand, I have seen the light, Redbook is the now standard...SACD and DVD-A is the wave of the future.
It still does not answer my original question. Which CD(SACD-DVD-A) player and which Can Amp for my new Senn HD600's??

Jul 19, 2002 at 2:21 AM Post #17 of 30
"Markl, I should heed your thoughts and check into this Redbook that you talk of. I did not even know that there was an Audio mastering. Though it seems to me that DVD-A has a higher dynamic range that of 144db as compared to SACD 120db though SACD can hold an additional layer. Redbook I presume. "

Redbook CD is another way of saying standard CD playback. Every "CD" in your collection is a "Redbook CD". An SACD or DVD-A is a standard far above what a regular Redbook CD can be, and is actually an entirely different medium. You have to buy a a separate DVD-A/SACD to get the benefit of the new standards. That said, some SACDs will play on a Redbook only CDP. Some DVD-A's will play on a standard DVD-player. However, you need a player that is equipped to play back SACD/DVD-A to get the full benefits of either new format. This is confusing--- if you don't follow-- I can help, let me know.

That said, and this is a VERY CONTROVERSIAL STATEMENT-- players that can also playback SACD/DVD-A will out-perform standard CDPs on regular Redbook CDs.

Is that clear?

markl

Jul 19, 2002 at 2:29 AM Post #18 of 30
I understand now markl.
I am looking at the Super Audio weblink from Sony Music, and now realize what you are talking about.
Sony offers at least 6 players that are SACD compatible.

I am off to see the wizard....can you tell me of a 'machine that will do all that you speak of...relative to the SACD format.

Jul 19, 2002 at 2:32 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
Hrm, gotta wonder, maybe the DVD-A has some sort of underlying 5.1 channel layer that can be played back on any DVD player?

Yep. A DVD-A disc will play on any DVD-V player and in full 5.1. However, a DVD-V only player will play lower resolution audio than a DVD-A capable player.

Jul 19, 2002 at 2:43 AM Post #22 of 30
"If I could be so bold to venture with enough to get a can amp and a player....$1,600 apx"

One assumes you have an HD600 plus replacement cable (Cards/SAA)

IMHO, your best bet given the budget you've stated is a Berning MicroZOTL ($700 or so new, but please check here for tube upgrades which are essential).

You should then check with oadebros.com for a Sony SCD-555ES SADP for around $750 (original price $1600).

markl

Jul 19, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #24 of 30
markl, I have the Cardas upgrade cables on backorder from Headroom.
I would like to someday, when I grow up, get some Cardas interconnects for my CD player. I have some second hand ones right now, can't complain, maybe I should have them re-wrapped.
Anyway. I will check into the amp. I will support the format
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2002 at 6:07 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch

Yep. A DVD-A disc will play on any DVD-V player and in full 5.1. However, a DVD-V only player will play lower resolution audio than a DVD-A capable player.

Thanks for clearing that up Hirsch. I knew Sony wouldn't be a traitor to its own format.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 19, 2002 at 6:55 AM Post #28 of 30
Why don't you tell us what kind of sound you are looking for? Fast, punchy, and dynamic, or smooth, soft, and relaxing.
You may want to watch out what amp you pair up with the GCD-750, cause that thing is a treble machine.

Jul 19, 2002 at 12:48 PM Post #29 of 30
You need a Melos SHA-1 or Gold. Perhaps not the flavor of the month (this month) but a really amazing amp for the HD600. Check out Flumpus' Dallas meet review to see how it beat everything, including a Max.

Source is more difficult because you have at best $12-1300 left. I'd buy the Arcam. I did buy the Arcam and I'm really happy with it.

SACD? I'll buy into Sony's new cash cow when there are enough CDs that I want to hear. LPs were supposed to go away too, but there are still plenty around, just not in the retail chains. Redbook CD won't go away in my lifetime, and I doubt I'll even feel like I'm missing anything. Will SACD be like the Compact Disc, and replace the format that preceded it? Or will it be more like APS film and fail to dislodge consumers from 35mm film? I'm betting it's APS, even if it does sound better.

Jul 19, 2002 at 1:14 PM Post #30 of 30
Greg, given you already have a NS900V, maybe you should give some thought into having it modded. I wouldn't spring on another source and expect it to totally trump your current 900V unless you blow about $1300-1500 on the source. Given you also want to budget in an amp as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back