Source CD Players
Jul 18, 2002 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

GregR

New Head-Fier
OK, big question, and I know that I will get a lot of replies....so here goes. I have just gotten a pair of Senn HD600's.
Now, how do I go about matching a CD player and an Amp to this configuration?
I was really looking at a CD player made by Adcom. The GCD700 or 750. With this in mind, would the following Amps from Headroom be wise decisions> Little More Power Premium, the Home, or the Maxed Out Home((forget the blockhead)
How about the Arcam Diva CD72T>
Ideas, concerns, responses are all needed. There is too much equipment and too many amps to choose from?
confused.gif

Jul 18, 2002 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 30
isn't the meta42 one that I have to build?
Looks like I found the Tangentsoft web site, and they offer parts.
A software development house> Is that correct, or did I go down the wrong street (one way don't you know)
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2002 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 30
Damn, I need to get a standard reply to these inquiries set up.

Did you know that the CD is now obsolete? The crummy CD is in the process of being replaced by DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD. At this time it's a sort of VHS vs. Beta format war, but no matter which format prevails, music-lovers will win! Both are an improvement over the humble CD.

My opinion has been disputed hotly here, and I'll freely admit to that no sweat, but, IMHO, any SACD/DVD-A player will out-perform any standard Redbook CD-only player comparably priced on your regular CDs.

Therefore, your best bet is to check out the Sony SCD-555ES SACD player from Oade Bros. (cheap authorized Sony dealer). No, it's not the ultimate Redbook CD machine, but it will out-perform comparably priced CD-only machines now that you can get this $1600 player for $750. Check it out.

markl

Jul 18, 2002 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
....Therefore, your best bet is to check out the Sony SCD-555ES SACD player from Oade Bros. (cheap authorized Sony dealer). No, it's not the ultimate Redbook CD machine, but it will out-perform comparably priced CD-only machines now that you can get this $1600 player for $750. Check it out.

As someone who digs the fidelity of SACD, I hope you're right about the format succeeding in the long run, markl. But I can't say I'm willing to write off CD yet. Nor can I say I have nearly as much faith as you in the future success of the format, but I'll continue to personally support it by recommending people try it, and by buying the software. I'm sure rabid support of the format by folks like you will help push it along.

Regarding the 555: for redbook only, I would think that one should try other players too. The Music Hall MMF CD-25 is really very impressive, as is the Arcam Diva CD72T; and I'm sure there are other good players around that price range (used and new -- though I don't typically by used myself). In this price range, these players are very worthy challengers where redbook is concerned.

Jul 19, 2002 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 30
I have a Sony NS900V which supports both DVD-A and SACD.
Though I thought that the sample rate was higher, and could only be processed by a head that could handle the 96 kHz/24bit PCM. I do not know of a headphone amp that can handle this rate. Or does that really matter. I know that the SACD sounds much better because of the sample rate.
So I guess I start using my DVD player for Music, and try to figure out of the hundreds of different can amps out there, which would give the sweetest voice??

Good idea though, I don't need to buy a new CD player, just completely re-haul my collection to SACD......more expensive in the long run......

Obsoletion breeds dismay, either conform or be left behind.
frown.gif

Jul 19, 2002 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 30
"As someone who digs the fidelity of SACD, I hope you're right about the format succeeding in the long run, markl. But I can't say I'm willing to write off CD yet. Nor can I say I have nearly as much faith as you in the future success of the format, but I'll continue to personally support it by recommending people try it, and by buying the software. I'm sure rabid support of the format by folks like you will help push it along."

Fair enough, Jude. I 1000% acknowledge that Redbook CD has come a LONG WAY in the last 5 years. But it took alnmost 20 years for Redbook CD to begin to sound good. SACD/DVD-A sound AMAZING straight out of the gate and will only get better. Why do I believe this? It took 15 years for regular CD to start to sound good. SACD/DVD-A in ten years time will blow us all away (it already does that now), especiallly folks like us that are into fidelity and good equipment. We "audiophiles" are the cutting edge of this technology--- if we we drop the ball-- we may be stuck with Redbook CD forever.... That would be a travesty.

"Regarding the 555: for redbook only, I would think that one should try other players too. The Music Hall MMF CD-25 is really very impressive, as is the Arcam Diva CD72T; and I'm sure there are other good players around that price range (used and new -- though I don't typically by used myself). In this price range, these players are very worthy challengers where redbook is concerned."

Except that any Redbook-only player restricts you to that format, PERIOD. If you are able to tell the difference between old and new formats (and EVERYONE should who frequents this site), you are much better off with a player that can handle DVD-A/SACD. Why do people upgrade their Redbook CD players? To take advantage of the better DACs that upsample to DVD-A/SACD quality. Why not buy an SACDP/DVD-AP to begin with?

markl

Jul 19, 2002 at 1:12 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

I have a Sony NS900V which supports both DVD-A and SACD.

I think you meant just DVD, or DAD. I doubt Sony would ever make a player to support DVD-A. Maybe in the future, but I have a feeling they'd rather see DVD-A get buried then support it.

Jul 19, 2002 at 1:36 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1

I think you meant just DVD, or DAD. I doubt Sony would ever make a player to support DVD-A. Maybe in the future, but I have a feeling they'd rather see DVD-A get buried then support it.

Well, here are the specs of my DVD Player:
DVD Video, DVD-RW, Video CD, SACD, CD, CD-R, CD-RW DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD Audio. Currently I own a Teldec Bach organ works Tel 8573-82041-9 and Deep Purple Machine Head Rhino R9 76664 both of which are DVD Audio and have the DVD Audio logo. They both play in Dolby Digital 5.1.
tongue.gif

Jul 19, 2002 at 1:42 AM Post #11 of 30
Yes, SACD/DVD-A are the wave of the future, or at least, I HOPE it is. But you also have to wonder: which one will win out? Will a new standard be forged, etc.

Jul 19, 2002 at 1:45 AM Post #12 of 30
Sony actually made a DVD-A capable player?!?
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Wangh...

Jul 19, 2002 at 1:48 AM Post #13 of 30
The manual for the DVP-NS900V states that it cannot play DVD-A, but I have used the software listed above in the player, and it works....And the software that I mentioned is DVD-A, with this logo and the Advanced Resolution logo...go figure, I may have stumbled onto something that I did not realize was common.
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2002 at 1:56 AM Post #14 of 30
Hrm, gotta wonder, maybe the DVD-A has some sort of underlying 5.1 channel layer that can be played back on any DVD player? I still find it hard to believe Sonys could really play back the DVD-A layer of DVD-As, if there is such a thing as layering for them (like how hybrid SACDs work). Do you have any redbook CDs of the same DVD-As? A comparison of the two would be the best way to find out.

Jul 19, 2002 at 1:56 AM Post #15 of 30
"But you also have to wonder: which one will win out? Will a new standard be forged, etc."

Neither one will win if YOU wait until one is the clear victor. You are The EARLY ADOPTERS for the new formats. If you're on this site, you have an interest in the new formats.

Check my signature... this is "Field of Dreams".... in reverse. If we show up and proclaim our interest, they will build it.... whether it's DVD-A or SACD. They're testing the market's willingness to support sound quality superior to Redbook CD. If YOU drop the ball now.... all the rest of us will be stuck with Redbook CD FOREVER.

markl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back