Soundtrack to the movie "Pi"
Aug 2, 2002 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

JohnActon

Put Ray Kimber Jr. through college
Has anyone heard the soundtrack to the movie "Pi"? I'd never even heard of the movie, let alone the soundtrack. I was in an audio store the other day and after playing Boards of Canada, the guy said I should hear this. It was pretty cool - very different sounding, though. I'm going to go see if I can find it at a record store.

Oh, it's also very well recorded (which is why the audio store was using it as a demonstration disc, I'm sure). I listened to it on a system that costs as much as some homes (Spectral electronics, MIT Oracle cabling and Wilson Audio X-1 Grand Slamm speakers; not to mention the dedicated room and what had to be close to a million tube traps and diffusors) and it sounded AMAZING.

Anyone else listened to this CD? I don't even know who plays on it. Interesting sounds, though!

Aug 2, 2002 at 7:07 AM Post #3 of 15
I've had this soundtrack since it came out -- it's definitely a very good album. Clint Mansell did three or four tracks. The rest of the artists are Orbital, Autechre, Aphex Twin, Roni Size, Massive Attack, David Holmes, Gus Gus, Banco De Gaia, Psilonaut, and Spacetime Continuum.

P.S. I thought the movie was good, too
wink.gif

Aug 2, 2002 at 10:00 AM Post #4 of 15
The movie rocked. A friend of mine gave the video.
If you have an interest in numbers...well! I liked the part when he dri...ooops! Don't want to give the movie away.
I didn't know the sound track was available. I need to check that out.
md

Aug 4, 2002 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 15
Both the movie and the soundtrack are excellent. I am sure you will enjoy the latter, and see what you can do about viewing the former
tongue.gif

Aug 4, 2002 at 8:01 PM Post #9 of 15
The few songs I've downloaded from the Requiem for a Dream soundtrack is mind-blowing. I'm not sure if it's to everyone's taste, but the combination of Clint Mansell and the Kronos Quartet captures the feel and drive of the movie perfectly.

So if you have time to spare, watch Requiem. One viewing alone should entice you to get the soundtrack.

Aug 5, 2002 at 3:44 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

oh man, that is a candidate for one of the best soundtracks of all time. When I saw who was going to be on it, I nearly orgasmed.

YEAGH! icky thoughts! My virgin eyes!

Aug 5, 2002 at 3:40 PM Post #15 of 15
i have both dvd and soundtracks for pi and require for a dream. they are both pretty amazing. although, i'd have to say that "pi" is more techno-based (had it since it came out too macdef!) and "requiem" is more strings-based (though quite psychotic for strings).

the kronos quartet does the strings for "requiem" so if you're a fan of them, by all means.. try them both!

also, both movies rule. aranofsky is a genius.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back