soundstage AKG K701??
Mar 13, 2007 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Gurra1980

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

I have a question, I borrowed a pair of k701 home and tested them out of Rotel rcd-06 and X-Can v3, and they sounded quite amazing but I noticed that my HD595 was better when it comes to soundstage, even stright out of my iriver, or especially then.

I'll try to explain: my 595 paints up a sound cenario in front, to the sides, up and down and in head, they sepparetes and places every instrument at its own place.

k701s soundstage was just about 5cm maybe 2 inches or something (not so sure about inches) to the left/right and in the middle of head. I was quite surpriced, from what I have heard the 701 should have quite amazing soundstage.

Is this because the 701 is new and didn't have much more than maybe 2h of playtime, how much should this change over time, BTW both x-can and rotel was new to. So if some 701 owner could give me there view of this would be nice.

Mar 13, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 22
I can't provide a direct comparison between new and burned in since I tend to purchase used kit. But I can tell you that the soundstage on my K701s is huge. For example, my K701s paired with my Darkvoice gives me a soundstage that is pretty close to the real thing in regards to full orchestra music. I've been to New York's Metropolitan Opera House a number of times and in particular 3 times to see/hear my fav opera. When I play it through my set-up, it approaches the real thing in regards to instrument positioning.

Mar 13, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 22
Hello,

I can confirm exactly what you experienced with a new pair of K701s. The sound was compartmentalized L & R with almost nothing in the middle. The soundstage seemed to have ZERO depth, basically like a sheet of paper going through my head from ear to ear. In addition, the stiff headband hurt my big, balding head. Very disappointing.

I left them playing mono pink noise on my receiver for two days straight, just in case. I am not a big believer in break-in, burn-in, etc. But... I put on the same classical LP (Rostropovich and the BPO/Karajan playing Tchaikovsky's Rococco Variations) and was surprised that it had started to change. Noticeable difference. Much more enjoyable!

I was going to sell them after day one because of the comfort issue (my head was very sore!), but after hearing the difference, I'm going to give them another chance. They're on day 2 of the second break-in phase. I'll give them a few more and let you know.

Mar 13, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by oxymoron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

I can confirm exactly what you experienced with a new pair of K701s. The sound was compartmentalized L & R with almost nothing in the middle. The soundstage seemed to have ZERO depth, basically like a sheet of paper going through my head from ear to ear. In addition, the stiff headband hurt my big, balding head. Very disappointing.

I left them playing mono pink noise on my receiver for two days straight, just in case. I am not a big believer in break-in, burn-in, etc. But... I put on the same classical LP (Rostropovich and the BPO/Karajan playing Tchaikovsky's Rococco Variations) and was surprised that it had started to change. Noticeable difference. Much more enjoyable!

I was going to sell them after day one because of the comfort issue (my head was very sore!), but after hearing the difference, I'm going to give them another chance. They're on day 2 of the second break-in phase. I'll give them a few more and let you know.

Funny I actually felt the same thing about the headband, it was that bubble or what you call it, in the middle that pressed my head and got anoying after a while, but I think I could get used to it if the sound is good. I have heard that they requier at least 250-300h to perform there best.

Mar 13, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 22
I don't want to turn this thread into a "K701 headband hurts the top of my head" thread. But it does mine too. And it's definitely that damned bubble.

Funnily enough, after 2 months of owning the K701, it doesn't bother me as much as it used to (had to adjust the positioning every half an hour).

In regards to the compressed soundstage - there's two things that fixes that:

1. A decent amp - makes a world of difference to the SS
2. burn in - opens the K701 up

I did the obligatory 400+ hour burn in, and I must say that it does work. Give the K701 a chance. These are considered reference cans for a reason
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpnz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn why does such a good headphone like k701 has to be white. The colour is holding me off from buying it..i guess..
frown.gif

For me they give less of an overwhelming impression of white in person. The outside of the headband is a rich brown leather, and the centre grille is chrome. Everything else is dove-grey. I'd say it feels more light-grey than white.

All that to say they're not scary-white. And besides, if you're not doing Zoolander-like poses in the mirror while you're listening, you won't care what colour they are when you're wearing them!

Mar 13, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by spukee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want to turn this thread into a "K701 headband hurts the top of my head" thread. But it does mine too. And it's definitely that damned bubble.

Funnily enough, after 2 months of owning the K701, it doesn't bother me as much as it used to (had to adjust the positioning every half an hour).

In regards to the compressed soundstage - there's two things that fixes that:

1. A decent amp - makes a world of difference to the SS
2. burn in - opens the K701 up

I did the obligatory 400+ hour burn in, and I must say that it does work. Give the K701 a chance. These are considered reference cans for a reason
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess it must have to do with the burning in, can't think that the X-can v3 is worse than my iriver, soundstagewise.

I will borrow them home again some day soon together with HD650, to compare them to each other on a burned in x-can

Mar 13, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

And it's definitely that damned bubble...Funnily enough, after 2 months of owning the K701, it doesn't bother me as much

That's just the K701 head band bubble burn in phenomena.

Mar 14, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #12 of 22
How much is a 601 headband...seems like that would solve that issue. Dont think it will help soundstage though......
blink.gif

Mar 14, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #13 of 22
I prefer the soundstaging of the SA5000's. The SA5000's have a very black background, the soundstage moves in a nice arc in front of me, and the positioning is tight. The K701's have a large soundstage, but the sounds are diffused, like the soundstage is being rendered in a think fog.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Me back when I owned the K701's
I find the SA5000's to have a blacker soundstage with the instruments kind of on a huge canvas out in front of you, whereas the K701's are more airy with instrument placement in a sort of encapsulating fog; instruments diffuse and are more intangible.

Mar 14, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #14 of 22
Coming from Porta Pro and MS1 - the soundstage was unusually large - but I think I can get used to it. I'd love to hear the SA5000 myself.

I didn't realise you were using the XCAN V3 (I should've read the first post again). It's already a good amp. That's strange observation with the compressed soundstage then - I compared the HD650 and K701 on an Aria (which I guess would be equivalent to the V3) and the K701 definitely had a larger soundstage (left to right).

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spukee View Post
And it's definitely that damned bubble...Funnily enough, after 2 months of owning the K701, it doesn't bother me as much
That's just the K701 head band bubble burn in phenomena.

Doesn't bother me as much - but still hurts!! Definitely the worst point of the K701 in my case.

Mar 14, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Coming from Porta Pro and MS1 - the soundstage was unusually large - but I think I can get used to it. I'd love to hear the SA5000 myself.

I didn't realise you were using the XCAN V3 (I should've read the first post again). It's already a good amp. That's strange observation with the compressed soundstage then - I compared the HD650 and K701 on an Aria (which I guess would be equivalent to the V3) and the K701 definitely had a larger soundstage (left to right).

Doesn't bother me as much - but still hurts!! Definitely the worst point of the K701 in my case.

The 650 is good in this area, they actually have cut a hole in the foam just at the top of the head so that they should not put pressure at this sensitive area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back