Soundscape and Clarity Headphone Recommendation
Apr 28, 2020 at 11:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

76Potts25

Head-Fier
Hey everyone,
I've found myself like everyone else in quarantine coming down with a case of upgraditus. It's severe. Long story short I'll break down what I'm looking for in three tiers; setup, genres listened to and signature desired.
My current setup is PC->Topping D70->Schiit Lyr 3 or Drop THX AAA 789. Currently I have a Senny 58X, AKG K702, ATH A1000Z and AD2000 (non x).
Genres listened to is largely Punk/Pop Punk (I'm a non-recovered emo kid, don't judge, or do, it's a fun debate), Rock/pop folk, Acoustic pop or rock, classic rock, some instrumental/soundtracks.
The meat and potatoes desired are for good separation and soundscape while sounding fairly lively. Not hunting intense bass or treble, maybe more vocal focused just not completely flat I guess. I'm game for anything and if you eye something you care to trade me that fits both our bills PM me, that'll be a separate can of worms. Ballpark price is about 500, I know there's no perfect can for my unicorn hunt, but baby steps so I don't become abruptly single. Feed me your knowledge and genre hate!

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #2 of 7
Have you looked into planar magnetic headphones? I've got the HE4XXs and I love them for the rock genres. They don't have the same timbre as my HD6XXx do, so I go HD6XXs for most acoustic stuff (and sometimes soundscape - depending on whether its string heavy or techno). If your budget is $500 then you could take a look at the Sundara's ($350).

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #3 of 7
Two of the headphones I'd suggest you already own,The AD2000s and K702s.
What about those two headphones do you not like?

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #4 of 7
Have you looked into planar magnetic headphones? I've got the HE4XXs and I love them for the rock genres. They don't have the same timbre as my HD6XXx do, so I go HD6XXs for most acoustic stuff (and sometimes soundscape - depending on whether its string heavy or techno). If your budget is $500 then you could take a look at the Sundara's ($350).
Yea, planar magnetics.

Apr 30, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 7
Two of the headphones I'd suggest you already own,The AD2000s and K702s.
What about those two headphones do you not like?
The K702's are a weird one for me to be honest, on my Lyr, they're beautiful, lively and warm, but lose my detail and their soundscape on the few tubes I've tried. But on my 789 it's got an amazing soundstage and separation, imaging is just fantastic but it's tonally COLD, no warmth and somehow loses all of its bass. So I have no clue there, I may need to play around with a regular tube amp pre-ed to a SS amp or my 789, I have no idea. But my AD2000 went down just before getting the D70, I have them apart for a detachable cable mod. They didn't seem to ever have much punch or speed but I attribute that to the old Modi I used to use. I'll have to get back about them in a couple of days.

Apr 30, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #6 of 7
I had a lot of people mention the Sundara's lately so I think I'm going to give them a go. They should be here Tuesday! What is it about planar's in general that people look for in them? I'm only halfway familiar with them, all of my headphones have been dynamics so far so I want to start dabbling in them but not sure what brands or typical sound characteristics to keep an eye out for that they generally carry.

Apr 30, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 7
I had a lot of people mention the Sundara's lately so I think I'm going to give them a go. They should be here Tuesday! What is it about planar's in general that people look for in them? I'm only halfway familiar with them, all of my headphones have been dynamics so far so I want to start dabbling in them but not sure what brands or typical sound characteristics to keep an eye out for that they generally carry.

I'm not super knowledgeable when it comes to planar magnetic headphones. All I know is the driver-type typically will produce greater detail in the mids and highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back