SoundMAGIC Vento Speculation/Discussion Thread
Jan 17, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #61 of 70
I think retuning is underway as we speak. And good on SoundMagic for doing this!

Nice that a retuning is happening! Hopefully Soundmagic will revise their HP100/HP150 headphones with a similar build quality to the P55 while maintaining the original sound signature.
The HP100/HP150's Yoke/Driver support is a massive weak spot on those, mine broke after barely dropping the can. There are multiple reports with similar broken yoke's, so watch out with throwing your HP100/150 into your bag carelessly. 

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #62 of 70
  Nice that a retuning is happening! Hopefully Soundmagic will revise their HP100/HP150 headphones with a similar build quality to the P55 while maintaining the original sound signature.
The HP100/HP150's Yoke/Driver support is a massive weak spot on those, mine broke after barely dropping the can. There are multiple reports with similar broken yoke's, so watch out with throwing your HP100/150 into your bag carelessly. 

I'm hoping that Vento ends up being a new line (like an HP replacement) that will eventually add at least one, if not more, over ear models. If not, I'd like to see a new higher end closed back than the HP100/150. I think an over ear closed back with the build of the Vento would make an amazing set of portable headphones. 

I use my HP100 for jogging inside and on treadmills quite a bit, and haven't had any issues. I always make sure to put it in the travel case, though.

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #63 of 70
I'm hoping that Vento ends up being a new line (like an HP replacement) that will eventually add at least one, if not more, over ear models. If not, I'd like to see a new higher end closed back than the HP100/150. I think an over ear closed back with the build of the Vento would make an amazing set of portable headphones. 

I use my HP100 for jogging inside and on treadmills quite a bit, and haven't had any issues. I always make sure to put it in the travel case, though.
That's also a fantastic idea. Even though I had build quality issues, the HP150's made me become a Soundmagic fan. I also wish to get my hands on that HP100, I love the exterior design.

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #65 of 70
Tony Xu at SoundMAGIC (owner and lead designer) is definitely aware of the issues with the design of the HP150/HP200 fork and will likely revisit these designs in the future.

Also, a bit of hot news.  We've seen initial designs of an HP1000, which is full size and very much in keeping with the Vento design.  Tony said that he will be bringing an initial sample to IFA in Berlin.

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #66 of 70
Also, a bit of hot news.  We've seen initial designs of an HP1000, which is full size and very much in keeping with the Vento design.  Tony said that he will be bringing an initial sample to IFA in Berlin.

Excellent! I was hoping for a full sized version of the vento. I had also seen a picture of a sound magic display with an HP1000, so I was curious when it would be announced.

Any word on the long fabled wooden cup HP300?

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #67 of 70
I think the almost mythical HP300 is still a work in progress.

My understanding is that SoundMAGIC are going more the direction of an HP1000 (closed) and HP2000 (open), which are being designed from scratch and featuring SoundMAGIC's new driver technology (as per the Vento P55).

I think it's Tony Xu's plan that the HP150 and HP200 get a facelift (improving the fork construction) and maybe also get new SoundMAGIC in-house drivers, while keeping them at a similar price point.  Interestingly the HP150 and HP200 price points have recently been lowered significantly, which makes them even more competitive now.  Also P21 and P30S got a big price drop.  It seems SoundMAGIC are gunning heavily at the on-ear and over-ear categories.  All very exciting if they can do what they've done with in-ears!

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #69 of 70
  Tony Xu at SoundMAGIC (owner and lead designer) is definitely aware of the issues with the design of the HP150/HP200 fork and will likely revisit these designs in the future.

If this is true, then they already have my money. The HP100/HP150 is pretty much the closed equivalent of the HD600 in my opinion. Very articulate, neutral but with a yuge soundstage and incredibly analytic for professional work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back