SoundMAGIC release E50S and E80S In-Ear Reference Series
Jun 20, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #33 of 227
I wanted to take a moment and share some feedback with SoundMagic.

I'm a big fan of SM products and have owned or still own and love: E10, E30 and PL30. I recently purchased the E80 and E50.

The build of the new models are very much improved. Cables are more flexible, the plug is ergonomic and well thought out. Housing designs are more tastefully finished. All in all a huge step forward.

The E50 seems the direct upgrade to the E10. It has a very similar signature but tighter bass that seems a hair less in quantity and slightly more treble presence.

While its definitley an upgrade in SQ, it can't replace my E10 for yard work. The E10's slightly fuller bass and slightly smoother treble makes for more enjoyable sound in extremely noisy environments- I wear it under hearing protection muffs while mowing a couple of acres of grass. My E10 is over 3 years old I think and am starting to get ocassionaly drop outs when the cable gets bent or touched near the plug. Looks like another E10 is in my future. The E50 sounds a little too bright under these conditions. Too bad the E10-M version with Apple volume control doesn't have the great new cable.

The E80 is undoubtably the best SM product I've heard. It has the same great build as the E50 but in a much more neutral leaning sound signature. Bass is just slightly elevated and the mids seem pretty flat. They really are fantastic together.

My only criticism is in the treble. It's a little too sharp sounding and ever present for me. It doesn't get piercing or painful but becomes a little overbearing and a distraction. Ultimately I ended up reselling my set to someone else because the treble was just too much me, which was disappointing because the rest of the SQ was so good and so enjoyable.

I hope that the successor to the E30 doesn't gain this sharper more ever present treble. I hope SoundMagic will tune it a little different for a more even and smooth, yet extended approach that would be more neutral in approach IMO.

Anyway the new products really are great and worthy of praise. I just wanted to share my constructive criticisms and feedback for future models and tunings.

Cheers!

Jun 21, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #35 of 227
I received a set of the Soundmagic E80s yesterday and I am thoroughly impressed. Starting with the wide range of tips that accompanies the IEMs to their solid construction quality, these babies get your attention right out of the box. Plugged in, they shine. They are not bass heavy and instead focus on clarity and depth. They remind me of the Vsonic GR07, in fact. So far, I think these are very good IEMs and they are a real bargain, as well. The E80 is well worth the effort and the money to buy and I am quite pleased with my purchase.

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #37 of 227
Still noone willing to say a few words about the isolation on the E80?

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #39 of 227
Some have reported the isolation to be great. I would say that it's average for an iem, maybe slightly better than average.

Thanks! :)

Jun 22, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #41 of 227
Just got my SoundMagic E80 in the mail. They got ordered after LightInTheBox cancelled my E300 order for being out of stock. So that could have turned out to be a gamble that didn't pay off. This E80, with virtually no burn in, out of the box, is AWESOMESAUCE! I don't remember an IEM this side of Hifiman that had bass speed on a dynamic this fast. I mean no baseline goes uncovered, unfollowed, and each note is presented and understood. While listening, the first thoughts that came to mind were...how do these tiny drivers sound like the Zero Audio Doppio?!?! I seriously thought I had my ZA in. Not since my first listen to the Duoza had a sound sig hit me with such impact, and this includes the A73. Now the A73 has a deeper, harder impact bass. Detail retrieval and instrument separation are about equal to the A73 and the Doppio, while its only failure if you can call it that is there is no rumble, punch, or boom from the bass. It's a very intelligent, taut, and lightning quick bass, that presents music in a very realistic and timbre accurate sound. The mids are lush, detailed, and airy. They remind me of the mids on the GR07. You'd swear the mids were Vsonic. Very present and clear. The highs are very clear, tame, and lack shimmer or sparkle, but are once again present and accounted for. They are very Zero Audio like in treble presence. Think a slightly more present Tenore treble. More close to the Doppio, with roll off, but still not Hifiman RE-600 rolled off or Duoza rolled off, but in a spot where it's still enjoyable and accurate. In all honesty, this is my preferred sound signature, so I'll be spending a bit more time with these over the A73, but that's only by personal preference. The detail retrieval and imaging are awesome! $50?!?! For this?! Thanks hisoundfi and the rest for bringing these to my attention! Thanks LITB for canceling my order, and thanks SoubdMagic for producing such a fine budget offering.

Jun 23, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #42 of 227

SoundMAGIC E50S In-Ear Headphones - Review

Intro

Escaping the shadow of a famous parent or sibling may be a challenge for some, and the SoundMAGIC E50S is in a similar situation. Given the extraordinary success of the E10 model in recent years and the similarities between these two designs, what can the E50S offer to convince us that it both deserves as much attention and can bring something different to the table?

Design and appearance (e.g. attractiveness, feel)

The SoundMAGIC E50S conforms to the same basic design as the E10, with the small barrel-like capsules and glossy braided cable but now instead of the straight connection where the cable meets the jack, the E50S sports a 60 degree angle between them, to cut down on stresses which both straight and 90 degree connections can be susceptible to.

The metal capsules, button enclosure and jack casing are covered by a matt powder coating which gives an attractive impression without being too flashy. The capsules can be worn with the cable going up and over the ear, or down from the ear.

Durability & build quality (e.g. cabling, connectors, materials)

The best thing about this design is its simplicity and its tried and tested ruggedness. The cable is coated with a strong rubber material which is neither sticky or too stiff, allowing the cable to move and flex whilst avoiding tangles.
Everything about the E50S is solid but light, a perfect combination for the purpose these earphones will no doubt be put to. The included carry case will ensure they are safe and dust-free when stored between uses.

Comfort:

As with the E10, the SoundMAGIC E50S will offer no limitations for those with non-standard ears who may have run into problems with other designs. The generous selection of eartips included with the E50S should have something to suit anyone, and help them achieve a good fit for as good a sound as the E50S can provide. This includes a pair of Complyfoam tips, consisting of memory foam for an almost custom fit.

The diminutive and stylish design makes the E50S an ideal companion in all scenarios and weathers, with little to worry about in terms of susceptibility to particular conditions and temperatures. the single button and microphone can be used with both Android-based handsets and Apple products - the switch on the cable's yoke (where left and right cables meet) can be operated for perfect compatibility.

The E50S, like most IEMs sold in Europe now, are subject to regulations limiting the maximum volume from portable devices such as phone handsets. Therefore the E50S (like the more recent E10) has an impedance of around 46 ohms. Most handsets will still offer enough volume with a majority of music, and if more volume is required (some classical music can be very quiet) then there is always the option to get a separate portable amplifier.

Sound isolation:

Being dependent on the fit achievable with the ear, experiences may differ as far as isolation is concerned (as with all in-ear models). But with the wealth of eartips options included, a good level of isolation can be achieved.

Sound characteristics:

Bass (e.g. punch, low extension):

As regards bass, the SoundMAGIC E50S gives as good as it gets and remains faithful to the original music. Where the E10 increased the bass a bit for more volume in the bass region, the E50S gives more impact and provides a richer, mnore immediate impression of basslines, drums and the like.

Mids (e.g. vocals, acoustic instruments):

Being a relatively neutral earphone, the E50S provides a little more of the midrange without any peaks. Harmonics are clear and vocals are pristine and backing vocals are distinct. Atmospheric effects such as reverb can be easily picked out and followed, giving a clear sense of space.

Treble (e.g. high hats):

There is as much detail at the top end as most of us require; it's never an easy job balancing between a sound which some might think is an overly bright and uncomfortable one, and a sound which others might describe as muddy and dull. However the SoundMAGIC E50S hits the right note and makes a great complement to the midrange for clear and comfortable retreival of detail.

Soundstage & Separation

The increased midrange response makes harmonics shine, bringing instruments to life and giving greater definition. For earphones at this price point, separation is fantastic and with it, soundstage is very good for an in-ear model.
Being good all-rounders, there is ample scope for the SoundMAGIC E50S to be enjoyed with all genres but the relatively flat response or neutrality of the E50S makes it a perfect earphone for vocals; particularly when accompanied by backing vocals. Percussion gets a nice lift also, as does any distortion effect.

Pros:

Simple, modest design
Superb clarity and neutrality
Good range of tips
Sturdy carry case
Angled jack
Switch for greater compatibility with a wider range of smartphones

Cons:

Single button control only, no volume control functionality

Jun 27, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #44 of 227
I guess I'd better subscribe to this thread since my E80's should arrive next week :)

Jun 27, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #45 of 227
When will they have the Gunmetal variant? All I can see in the Micca Store is the Black-Red one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back