soundmagic pl50 or klipsch s2,s3 or UE metrofi 170
Sep 12, 2011 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

saurabh

New Head-Fier
hey everyone..m looking to pick a budget iem in a day or two. m not buying online.
so the only options available in the local store in my region are Soundmagic,klipsch,UEs n senheissers. I hv shortlisted..
Soundmagic pl50
Image s2,s3
Ue metrofi 170
I mostly listen to alt.rock n classical piano & sometimes trance too.
I prefer kind of balanced sound where lows,mids,highs are clear n doesnt overshadow each other. dont want too much bass & there shouldnt be any 's' sibillance in highs or distortion at high volumes.
Clarity and detail is of highest concern with good soundstage.
need good isolation n comfort too.

So plz help me pick one out of these only as i cant go for any othr coz of unavailability.

Thanks a lot

Sep 12, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 22
Hi, I've had the pl50s pl 30s the klipsh s4 and I've heard both the s2 and s3 in shops. I've not heard the UE yet, so can't comment much. All these are IMO.

I would think either one of the klipsh would do just fine, as they are among the budget series, they don't have much difference in their sound. They have nice fitting tips(for me), really comfortable.. makes you forget you are wearing them. Bass is decent. Not too overwhelming like the monsters beats or so.. however, there might be some sibilance. I listened to adam lambert, linkin park and the ir screams felt too high pitch at times. Overall I think you should get them since the bass would do justice to your trance songs.

The pl50 on the other hand is a pair of clarity queens. You wont get too much bass on that, therefore your trance songs wont be nice to hear at all. However, you get nice smooth piano mids and clear vocals.. I just dint feel enough bass for the pl50s.

Depending on where u live, for me pl50s are more expensive compared to the klipsh..so the klipsh would be a better choice for me.

Hope to be of help. :)

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 22
PL50 wont do any justice to trance.
If you are from India there are very limited choices but you may go for Koss KSC75 available at most music world stores.

Sep 13, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 22
I've had the metrofi's for years and I enjoy the sound, but the bass can be a bit much. They are very durable and I like the design. But they have a couple major problems. The first has to do with the tips; they tend to become very uncomfortable after a certain period of time (I don't notice this when I'm out and about though). The tips also lose their seal easily when I'm active. The next thing is the amount of microphonics that come through cord. Just putting in my two cents, let us know what you decide.

Sep 13, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #6 of 22
Hi, I've had the pl50s pl 30s the klipsh s4 and I've heard both the s2 and s3 in shops. I've not heard the UE yet, so can't comment much. All these are IMO.

I would think either one of the klipsh would do just fine, as they are among the budget series, they don't have much difference in their sound. They have nice fitting tips(for me), really comfortable.. makes you forget you are wearing them. Bass is decent. Not too overwhelming like the monsters beats or so.. however, there might be some sibilance. I listened to adam lambert, linkin park and the ir screams felt too high pitch at times. Overall I think you should get them since the bass would do justice to your trance songs.

The pl50 on the other hand is a pair of clarity queens. You wont get too much bass on that, therefore your trance songs wont be nice to hear at all. However, you get nice smooth piano mids and clear vocals.. I just dint feel enough bass for the pl50s.

Depending on where u live, for me pl50s are more expensive compared to the klipsh..so the klipsh would be a better choice for me.

Hope to be of help. :)

thanks a lot chomps..its a great help as you have heard the ones i'hv shortlisted. klipsch seems good..but i want more clarity n detail in overall sound, so i am turning more towards the pl-50. m fine with a bit of less bass.
yeah pl-50 is a bit expensive than s3's..$10 difference.
i heard tht klipsch doesnt have that much of detail in highs and more on the bassy side. i dont need too much of bass.
what do you think would be better overall?

Sep 13, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #7 of 22
If you are from India there are very limited choices but you may go for Koss KSC75 available at most music world stores.

yeah its really limited here..i wanted to go for the fischer audio silver bullets or the nuforce 700X but i cudnt find any reseller here.

Sep 13, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #8 of 22
Hi! Since bass is not much of a concern, I think you should head for the pl50s. They really have good clarity and soundstage. Do note that they are the over-the ears kind of IEM.. just to let you know. I'm not really a fan of these.. so dint really enjoy it. They come with a cable slider though.. so its alright.

Hmm overall I think you shld go for the pl50s I guess. Do let those burn in for about 50 hours. You are right that klipsch doesn't have much detail in clarity, but the fit is extremely comfy!

Good luck for your purchase!

Sep 13, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #9 of 22

Quote:
yeah its really limited here..i wanted to go for the fischer audio silver bullets or the nuforce 700X but i cudnt find any reseller here.

Silver bullet was really good except for the cable. Lynx-india had it a while ago, you may ask them.

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #11 of 22
@oyster
I know..they r d only ones who keep the FAs in india, but they never had silver bullets in stock for past few months.i hav been calling them. I am not buying online outside india to avoid shipping hassels.
waiting so long i decided to go with local store &n save time n cash. The SBs are better but i hv no option.

I was using ep630 back then as i got them with my dell XPS. But this time i am looking to make an entry into proper audiophile gear & i think pl-50 would be a huge upgrade over them. what say?

Sep 15, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #12 of 22
@haesor
Here..m getting both of them for almost same price. So no point going with s2 as it isnt as clear n detailed as the pl-50 going by so many reviews i'hv read by fellow head-fiers. sure the s2 got more bass in quantity but the quality isnt that great & i dont need too much bass.need a balanced sound throughout. I guess pl50 would suffice my needs.

Sep 15, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #13 of 22
I've had the metrofi's for years and I enjoy the sound, but the bass can be a bit much. They are very durable and I like the design. But they have a couple major problems. The first has to do with the tips; they tend to become very uncomfortable after a certain period of time (I don't notice this when I'm out and about though). The tips also lose their seal easily when I'm active. The next thing is the amount of microphonics that come through cord. Just putting in my two cents, let us know what you decide.

Thanks for the info..not goin with metro fi-s..costly for no reason n comfort isnt that good as u said.

Sep 15, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #14 of 22

Just wanna know if bass quantity of pl-50 is really so low that it makes trance sound so plain or bad? If its more than that of ep630, then i am fine with pl50's bass.

Sep 15, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #15 of 22
i dont think PL50 is good for trance, but you can try, i loved mine for rock and other genres apart from bassheavy music. The detail, balance and comfort, also isolation is great on the PL50, i would recommend them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back