SoundMAGIC PL-50 released, received, reviewed!!!
May 27, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #361 of 371

And if i can stretch my budget a little bit. Considering the Sennheiser IE80 vs Shure Se215. What would be the best? Will they benefit from amping?

IE80 will be stretching your budget by a lot, consider it should be $300+ - don't bother with cheap deal on eBay or some random site as those are pretty much fake.

SE215SPE (blue limited edition) will be a better choice than regular SE215. However those IEM I have mentioned earlier are probably even better deal.

Aug 26, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #362 of 371
Just grabbed a pair as a cheap set to take to work and while they do sound quite good for the price i am a little dissappointed at the packaging. I live in australia and my set came in a long and slim white box instead. Instead of a solid carry case i just got a soft carry pouch which is much larger than needed, i assume its meant to be like that to be to carry your pmp inside as well. The real dissappoinment came when i saw how they packaged the eartips, they are all tightly mashed up inside a plastic pouch and are out of shape, so much so they none of the rubber ones will seal properly for me. The foam tips are no better as the plastic tubes inside them have been cut very rough so when you try to insert the driver nozzle it wont fit and simply pushes the tube out of the foam. I ended up having to use my old sony mdr-ex100 rubber tips, they dont have the tightest fit but its enough to stop them from coming off when you remove the drivers from your ears.
It seems they must have cut some corners between the original release and now as the packaging looks no where as good as the original review.

Jul 1, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #363 of 371
does anyone have a picture of the driver inside?

I accidentally hit them on my desk and opened them and saw something that looks like a dynamic driver (something looking like a drum, instead of a rectangle)

after having them for so long, I'm beginning to think maybe they were fakes

Jul 1, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #364 of 371
This...
img292_32585.jpg

There are cylinder shaped armatures that were popular back then...
B004OBZ2XQ_02.jpg

Jul 1, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #365 of 371
does anyone have a picture of the driver inside?

I accidentally hit them on my desk and opened them and saw something that looks like a dynamic driver (something looking like a drum, instead of a rectangle)

after having them for so long, I'm beginning to think maybe they were fakes

The Knowles SR series of BA all have cylindrical shape because they are meant to be a direct drop-in replacement for dynamic driver of the same size, so manufacturers don't need to redevelop a new housing and thus more willing to use them in their line-up.

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #366 of 371
thanks, all searches online showed rectangle BA's I had only seen micro dynamic drivers in a cylindrical shape

Jan 1, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #367 of 371
Resurrecting an old thread, just got a PL50 new on eBay for £20 and love them. They're definitely a step away from the Soundmagic DD range, but as a single BA that was expected. Extremely balanced top to bottom and very good detail levels in the mids and treble. Just smooth enough not to fall into the cold analytical category... tho they aren't what I'd call buttery smooth as note weight is slightly thinner. Bass is light but far from gone. It's fast and can reach the notes in bass-driven music whe it needs to, just with faster decay. I love how open they sound, imaging is excellent... so the soundstage is accurate.

The closest I'd say they get to in the Soundmagic DD range is the e80, the main difference being the e80 has more body and weight but they share the same brightness and detail in the mids and treble. When I compare them to the budget Brainwavz BA range, they're less warm and cozy than the B100/150/200, but they do sound closer to the B400 with was their flagship of that particular range.

The PL50 sound great with orchestra, classical and jazz as their open, airy and detailed signature does those genres a lot of justice. BUT I still really enjoy them with everything I've thrown at them as they are very faithful to the music. The P50 is your classic, old school Balanced Armature signature. These days I find single BAs have added weight the sub-bass region giving them a full sound... well the ones I have anyway.

These are popping up more often and if you can get one cheap they're defo a fun pair to have. They're tiny and super comfy.

Jan 3, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #368 of 371
Resurrecting an old thread, just got a PL50 new on eBay for £20 and love them. They're definitely a step away from the Soundmagic DD range, but as a single BA that was expected. Extremely balanced top to bottom and very good detail levels in the mids and treble. Just smooth enough not to fall into the cold analytical category... tho they aren't what I'd call buttery smooth as note weight is slightly thinner. Bass is light but far from gone. It's fast and can reach the notes in bass-driven music whe it needs to, just with faster decay. I love how open they sound, imaging is excellent... so the soundstage is accurate.

The closest I'd say they get to in the Soundmagic DD range is the e80, the main difference being the e80 has more body and weight but they share the same brightness and detail in the mids and treble. When I compare them to the budget Brainwavz BA range, they're less warm and cozy than the B100/150/200, but they do sound closer to the B400 with was their flagship of that particular range.

The PL50 sound great with orchestra, classical and jazz as their open, airy and detailed signature does those genres a lot of justice. BUT I still really enjoy them with everything I've thrown at them as they are very faithful to the music. The P50 is your classic, old school Balanced Armature signature. These days I find single BAs have added weight the sub-bass region giving them a full sound... well the ones I have anyway.

These are popping up more often and if you can get one cheap they're defo a fun pair to have. They're tiny and super comfy.

Fond memories of these earphones. You reminded me I need to browse head-fi for the current absolute bargains.

Jan 3, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #369 of 371

SoundMAGIC actually still makes PL-50, some 11 years later after I posted the first review.

Sep 24, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #370 of 371
Got a pair for no more than 8usd, in Indonesia.
Changed the eartips to spinfit, eartips almost cost as much as the iem... =D
One of my favorite iem coz its small and comfy.
Used it for sleeping with low volume.
Wear it on the opposite side of the ear, then it will totally disappear into your ear. Wont even feel a thing when you press in on pillow.

The only worry is that the cables will wear quickly. Any advice on that? Soak it with hot/warm water will do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back