SoundMAGIC PL-50 released, received, reviewed!!!
Apr 24, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #347 of 371
I've had my PL-50s for two years now, the sound quality and isolation are very good and I recommend them to everyone looking for a good iem under 50$ (maybe more). They have always performed well  and were well taken care off but I've noticed the right side as started to sound quieter! Anyone else with this problem? The cable and jack are fine, there is no noticeable cable malfunction...

Apr 24, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #348 of 371

Quote:
I've had my PL-50s for two years now, the sound quality and isolation are very good and I recommend them to everyone looking for a good iem under 50$ (maybe more). They have always performed well  and were well taken care off but I've noticed the right side as started to sound quieter! Anyone else with this problem? The cable and jack are fine, there is no noticeable cable malfunction...

The first thing to check would be the metal mesh filter, might be some earwax clogging behind it. Won't be too easy to clean if that's the case. If not, then the driver might have came to its age. Nothing to do but to lay it to rest.

May 5, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #350 of 371
Hi. I received a pair of these phones yesterday. They are in process of braking in... I am a bit disapointed with them. Most has to do with ear-buds. One pair of those sponge-like is broken. Tiny plastic inside that goes on the nozzle fell off immediately. Other are either very hard to fit onto the nozzle or they fell off easily. Total crap if you ask me. Than I also noticed those grills in the nozzle. On is very lose and I feel like it is gonna fell out to my ear. I am afraid of that...so has anyone any idea how to fix that? Would some super glue help? I am afraid that I might brake them doing that...but if this thing fell of into my ear...well lets just say it will not be great. 

May 25, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #352 of 371
The housing is known to be able to split apart since they are glued together in the first place and the glue doesn't seem to be the strongest of the world. You can however glued them back with superglue and they will never come apart again. Sending them back to repair will be much more troublesome (*not that you can't do it) since it could get lost on its way back to China (or coming back).

May 25, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #353 of 371
Quote:

They do have plastic housings that aren't made with a space-age polymer... Mine are over 2 years old and still sound great. You can't treat them like they are titanium, but ClieOS is right about a little SuperGlue fixing the housing seam, if it splits. Emphasis on the "little." Don't glob it on.

They are still the best value in BA phones...

And ITau, they don't really need to be "broken-in," as they are balanced armature phones, not dynamic. Just enjoy listening to them and make sure that you get a good seal. I've used the same foams tips forever. They too can be fixed with a dab of glue if the inner sleeve pops loose. You can also find foam tips on the net that work well with them.

May 25, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #354 of 371
Hey there ClieOS,

I was about to ask you if you find the Hifiman RE262 (I know it's colored) and the Vsonic GR01 (will sell GR07) to make for a couple of nice upgrades over the smooth, slightly warm, midcentric sound of the PL50?

RE262 to build up on the midcentric signature and add some refinement.
GR01 to maintain or improve the natural tonality of the PL50 while striving for a more 'reference' goal.

Do you think of any better option around 150 - 200$ range for a PL50 upgrade?

(Compared to the PL50, the GR07 doesn't offer me a satisfying midrange presence nor tonality... it sounds a bit to warm and distant, sometimes it seems to smooth out detail a bit to much to my liking then the ressonant and unrefined treble and lesser performance at higher volumes just makes things worse... I hope the GR01 is better in this regard...)

I really like the PL50... sometimes I prefer it over the GR07 because of the above.

Thanks!

May 25, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #355 of 371
how to these isolate? i am looking for a BA iem that islolate like shure se210.

May 25, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #356 of 371
Do you think of any better option around 150 - 200$ range for a PL50 upgrade?

While RE262 is one of the ultimate vocal IEM, it does sound better if you have a more powerful source (or amp). GR07 doesn't exactly have a thick mid, so it won't be surprising for you to prefer PL50 over GR07 on vocal. I won't call GR01 a mid centric IEM either, but it is closer to PL50 than GR07. However, I think you should look at TDK BA200 first.

Isolation on PL50 is only so-so, even on foam tips. Shure generally has really good isolation so it will be hard to find another IEM to match it. You will have better luck with Etymotic.

May 26, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #357 of 371
Quote:

I can only get them to seal well with olive-type foams (with the inner plastic sleeve) and a couple of different bi-flange tips, preferably silicone. That said, the foams are very comfortable for me and I can sleep with the phones in my ears.

May 23, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #358 of 371
Hello guys, considering that i came from a pair of sennheiser's CX880 and will be using them on an iPod Nano and probably with a BSG Cmoy. Are these IEM a good substitute <75usd or are better IEM out there?

May 25, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #359 of 371
  Hello guys, considering that i came from a pair of sennheiser's CX880 and will be using them on an iPod Nano and probably with a BSG Cmoy. Are these IEM a good substitute <75usd or are better IEM out there?

There are plenty of better IEM under $75 these days. Check out the Xiaomi Piston 2, Ostry KC06A, Zero Audio Tenore (which I haven't heard but get great review). There are probably a couple more if you search around.

May 27, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #360 of 371

There are plenty of better IEM under $75 these days. Check out the Xiaomi Piston 2, Ostry KC06A, Zero Audio Tenore (which I haven't heard but get great review). There are probably a couple more if you search around.

And if i can stretch my budget a little bit. Considering the Sennheiser IE80 vs Shure Se215. What would be the best? Will they benefit from amping?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back