SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Nov 20, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #1,006 of 1,386
So the new listing is here. Thanks cj42

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-3-5mm-3Pole-Mini-Stereo-Male-Gold-Jack-Plug-Audio-Headphone-Car-Aux-Cable-/281199686467?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&var=&hash=item4178ceb343

You can choose your length in increments of .5 meters
and .1 meters...

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #1,007 of 1,386
Just received my HP100 today and I can say that I'm really enjoying them :)

First impressions

DAMN THIS LOOKS SEXY
Wow this is a lot more portable than I thought
My god the cushions are ridiculously soft.

Bummer, they have some weird stitching on the inside. Good thing they don't rub against my ear.
Wow, these are so comfortable. I even have glasses!
The cable really isn't as bad as people said they were. I like them :)

Nice strain reliefs. Everything about this thing looks.
The metal cups are very nice and don't look stupid.
I want to wear these outside now.
Lower profile then you would think.

Fits my massive head
Comfortable clamping force.
I took a nap with these on :)

The case is perfect.
Compact
Stylish
Useful

Comfort 9.5/10
Would be a ten if there wasn't a stitching on the inside. If you have bigger ears, this might be an issue.

Build Good/10

As of right now, I would say 10/10 but I really have put them through their paces yet.

Will report back after a couple days. To say the least, I'm stoked :D

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #1,009 of 1,386
Okay, story time.

I found a replacement cable that fits into the current headphones but it requires quite some time for it to deliver.

So this is the second day and I've been jamming out to my HP100. I didn't have any headphones for a good 2 weeks and it was awful.

So I was enjoying some if its magic at home from my smartphone. I took them off and decided to get something to eat. After I got some food, I plugged in the cable and tried to put the headphones on...

I forgot that I still had the cable attached to my smarthphone.

So inadvertently, I pulled the phone down from my desk and it hit the ground with a god-no thud.

I picked it up like a baby and inspected my phone and the cable.

THE JACK WAS BENT.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I instantly tried to play some music and THERE WAS NOTHING

NOOOOOOOOOOO

I bent it back in place and tried again and nothing.
I JUST GOT THESE.

I wanted to have a moment to myself and took my headphone off and pulled out the cable.
Wait.
I just pulled it out?

These cables have a twist and lock feature.
I suddenly had renewed hopes.
Maybe I didn't plug the cable all the way in? I plugged the cable back into my phone and this time made sure I twisted and locked the one into the earcup.

Then I took a breath and pressed play.

GLORIOUS MUSIC.

So it works now but I'm very paranoid that I'm now only getting sub-par sound from my bent jack. Can anyone explain what happens when a jack gets bent? If it still makes sound, is it still as good as new in terms of sound quality?

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #1,010 of 1,386
Has anyone tried both these and the DT770?  My wife stole my HP100's and I see that the DT770 is on super sale right now and I was thinking of replacing mine with the DT just to hear that Beyer sound.  But man, I love the HP100.  I'm not sure if it's even worth getting the DT or if I should just get a second set of HP100/150.

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #1,011 of 1,386
  Has anyone tried both these and the DT770?  My wife stole my HP100's and I see that the DT770 is on super sale right now and I was thinking of replacing mine with the DT just to hear that Beyer sound.  But man, I love the HP100.  I'm not sure if it's even worth getting the DT or if I should just get a second set of HP100/150.

Get the HP150 so you could tell us how the HP100 compares to the HP150. 
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #1,012 of 1,386
  Get the HP150 so you could tell us how the HP100 compares to the HP150. 
wink.gif

Well the DT770 is significantly cheaper right now, which is why I'm asking.  Otherwise, I gotta wait until Micca gets more refurbs in stock.

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #1,014 of 1,386
I've not heard the 770, but I was also curious about them when I saw them cheap. Reading reviews I saw people saying they thought the bass was thumpy and kind of one dimensional. IF that is so, I would get the 150. But take that with a grain of salt, because I love the 150 :)

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #1,015 of 1,386
I've not heard the 770, but I was also curious about them when I saw them cheap. Reading reviews I saw people saying they thought the bass was thumpy and kind of one dimensional. IF that is so, I would get the 150. But take that with a grain of salt, because I love the 150
smily_headphones1.gif

In speaking with some other folks, I've determined that the 770 is probably not for me.  I'm just going to wait for the refurb HP100/150 to come back in stock.

Dec 4, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #1,016 of 1,386
Anyone found non-stock replacement earpads that fit the HP150? I think I've read that the Beyer Custom Ones fit and so do the 770s. The HP150 is quite comfortable but I wouldn't mind an even comfier set.

Also, anyone found some mod to slightly decrease the sound leakage?

Dec 4, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #1,017 of 1,386
The Shure 1540 alcantara pads are fantastic with my HP100.  They do warm up the sound a tad (more bass, less treble) but a little brain burn-in and I stopped noticing.  They're absurdly comfortable.

And, I hate to say it, but if you have sound leakage from a closed can like this, you may be listening too loudly for your own health.

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #1,019 of 1,386

I have, although it's been a while since I've had the DT 770s (owned them twice).  IIRC, the DT 770s, in comparison with the HP 150s, have a bloomy, somewhat unfocused bass, an inferior soundstage, and poorer clarity.  The HP150s are far superior, IMO.  I'd go straight to the HP150s and skip the HP100s, even though they're comparable.

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #1,020 of 1,386

I have, although it's been a while since I've had the DT 770s (owned them twice).  IIRC, the DT 770s, in comparison with the HP 150s, have a bloomy, somewhat unfocused bass, an inferior soundstage, and poorer clarity.  The HP150s are far superior, IMO.  I'd go straight to the HP150s and skip the HP100s, even though they're comparable.

How are the HP150 different from the HP100 sonically, if you still remember how the HP100 sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back